• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

I have obtained permission from K’aeloree to try hosting a new Play by Post game here at SHS, and am posting here to see if there is interest in either game concept I have developed. Both games are for the 3.5E Eberron Campaign Setting.

About Me: I will be DMing the game, and have more than four years of experience running DnD PbP games on various sites. I prefer to emphasize characters, character interactions, and solving problems as opposed to simple combat, and players in the past have noted that I have a penchant for complex plots and detailed, multifaceted characters. I am always happy to work with my players regarding problems they have with the game or ideas they want for their character or plot, within reason. New players or those who aren’t familiar with certain parts of the game, I am more than happy to help with. Asinine requests and obnoxious players (and characters), less so.

What I Need: For now, just an interest check from 4-7 potential players. If there is insufficient interest in either game proposed, I may look into alternatives.

What Prospective Players Need: I will require players have or have access to the 3.5E Eberron Campaign Setting book, but other 3.5E Eberron books are unnecessary – I may use elements of them as I see fit, although if you have them, go nuts.

Please be able to post at least once every 3 days or so. I reserve the right to remove inactive players from the game.

Be willing to commit to the game. I understand that real life has a way of changing plans, and that it takes precedence over games, but PbP is by necessity a slow-paced format, and I’d rather not have players vanish after a month or two.

Good writing and roleplaying skills. I could not care less how [in]effective your character is in combat or how good or bad you are at building a character. What I care about are good writing and roleplaying abilities, including working with the other players.

You will not, under any circumstances, need Tome of Battle, Dragon Magazine, Oriental Adventures, Pathfinder, Magic of Incarnum, or Dragonlance campaign setting. Material from these books is not permitted. I will note other restrictions should a game concept be chosen.

Game 1: Under the Burning Skies

Two years ago, the Treaty of Thronehold ended the Last War. One hundred years of warfare that devastated Khorvaire were brought to an end. Hundreds of thousands of men, women, children, and sentient constructs and monsters have died. Yet in the end their sacrifices were perhaps worthwhile. The Galifar Empire is dead. Twelve nations have risen from the ashes. Birth rates across Khorvaire have increased dramatically, the people of Eberron breathing a sigh of relief that their nightmare is over. They believe that all is well. That Khorvaire finally knows peace.

They are wrong.

Already, the people of Khorvaire bury the past. So eager they are to throw aside all to recent history that they forget why the Last War raged for so long. Yet some have not forgotten. There are secrets still, mysteries never meant to be buried. Forces never meant to be unleashed. Plans never meant to be stopped. And yet they have. For now.  From the grand palaces of the Five Nations to the depths of ruined Cyre and the shores of Argonessen, the sound of thunder echoes. This storm is not yet finished.

And now, a handful of individuals, ignorant of the gathering tempest, are in the right place at the right time. All that remains now is to see whether they are the right people.

General Themes: Legacy of the Last War (including the Day of Mourning), ancient secrets and modern politics of Khorvaire.

Other Notes: No significant restrictions on character creation.

Game 2: Falling Stars

For centuries, the Sentinels have been one of the few organizations with freedom to operate everywhere in Khorvaire. Part of yet not beholden to House Deneith, until the Treaty of Thronehold the Sentinels were tolerated unofficially. Now, they are Khorvaire’s only law enforcement organization authorized to operate across the continent. Most Sentinels are unremarkable, greasing the wheels of cooperation between nations rather than directly intervening.

But some – you – are not most Sentinels. When political circumstances make anyone else untenable, when the local resources are hopelessly outmatched, when victims demand the very best, the field operatives of the Sentinels get the sending spell. Until two years ago, life was easy for you. Jobs were few, and the militant air of the continent made local military forces a viable alternative. But now, military crackdowns are impolitic in much of Khorvaire, and opportunities for the daring and ambitious have rarely been so plentiful. On the surface, the increased demand for the Sentinels’ services means nothing but good news. Certainly House Deneith thinks so.

Beneath the surface, well, let’s just say that there are a number of reasons why demand is growing.

Corruption and betrayal are facts of life in Khorvaire, but something more than unscrupulous greed and ruthless preservation of secrecy is starting to unfold in the shadows of the Five Nations, not to mention the other seven. The Sentinels have been called to New Cyre, a land marred by sorrow and loss, yet shining with hope. If all that hope was for peace and rebuilding lives, of course, the Sentinels wouldn’t have been called.

Oh, don’t mind me. Just think of me as the little voice in the back of your head that picks up things your conscious mind has missed.

General Themes: Conspiracies, war in the shadows, a hidden threat to Khorvaire.

Other Notes: Player characters are Sentinels – affiliates or employees of House Deneith. Non-Deneith Dragonmarked and others not inclined to such a job would need a very good explanation.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Can't say I'm surprised by the lack of interest in an Eberron game, so here's a Forgotten Realms game. Please post if you're interested in applying.

The Eternity Gate

Some say that the history of Faerun is an endless story of mistakes and desperate attempts to fix them. From the Crown Wars to the Bhaalspawn Crisis and Shadow War in Neverwinter, nothing ever seems to go as intended. Rarely does anything good seem to happen except in response to something worse. And yet, Faerun survives. Empires and gods rise and fall, but life in Faerun seldom seems to change. Locked in stasis for thousands of years, true change is unthinkable to Faerun, and some might say impossible. Until, perhaps, another mistake is made. A mistake of such magnitude that thousands of years of history may now be so much dust in the wind and the foundations of Faerun will be proven to be nothing but sand.

Something has arrived.

The people of Faerun are unready. In a land where apocalyptic threats come and go like the seasons, portents go ignored. As always, though, Faerun's fate is not yet sealed. Once again, it is time for a war in the dark places of the world, where the fate of nations is decided by a few, ignorant of what all lies at stake. Perhaps Faerun is indeed doomed, and it is only a question of which horror will finally swing the executioner's axe. Perhaps blood will be spilled as it always has been, Faerun never saved nor damned but eternally in desperate conflict. And maybe, just maybe, Faerun will finally escape the night. But for that to happen, at least one more sacrifice will be necessary...

Faerun is the graveyard of empires and species. On the precipice of that charnel pit, in a small village on the Dragon Coast, the clouds gather.

This is a 3.5E Forgotten Realms game. Having the FRCS book is not required, as to be perfectly honest there's enough material about the Forgotten Realms available online and via the SRD that I don't think the campaign setting book is necessary.

If there's sufficient interest in this game, I will start an application thread and supply information about where the game starts - it is designed to accommodate a diverse range of races and classes.

I am, by nature, a laid-back and tolerant DM, and I am very happy to work with players in-depth with their character or any plots they wish to involve their characters with. Do not abuse this privilege, however - this is fundamentally a game for a group of players. For example, I'd be willing to allow a good-aligned assassin if you have a good rationale for it, but a super-sexy drow paladin who runs around naked because she's a paladin of Eilistraee will be summarily fed to a gelatinous cube.

A word of warning: I am not a Forgotten Realms loremaster. Do not expect complete faithfulness to the books, and don't be surprised if I get things wrong. I may be wrong, or I may be excising what I see as pointless crud.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#3 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

I'm definitely interested in playing in the the Forgotten Realms campaign.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#4 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

super-sexy drow paladin who runs around naked because she's a paladin of Eilistraee

Damn, mine is a super-sexy drow paladin who runs around naked and has lots of unnecessary apostrophes in her name because she wields them in the name of justice and also she is half drow and half super drow. Is that okay?

I'm interested but I will have to wait a bit before giving a final yes or no simply because I don't want to say yes and then flake out.

DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

The gelatinous cube looks hungry. Not enough meat on a drow to qualify as a full meal, but it would be a start...