• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Well, well, well....

As I wanted to test the first chapter of my mod, I decided to make a little big install by hand.

Everything worked fine... until I launched setup-generalized_biffing.exe.

Here is the WeiDU.Log :

Spoiler

I could launch and play with that .log before I biffed.

But after biffing, it is impossible to log :

ToBEx.log :

-----TobEx: Throne of Bhaal Extender build 0.25.10.29 (Tue 07 May 2013 02:56:35) <-- Before biffing : everything is OK !
-----TobEx: Throne of Bhaal Extender build 0.25.10.29 (Tue 07 May 2013 03:30:05)
[Tue 07 May 2013 03:30:12] ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x98EA1E File: ChDimm.cpp Line: 834 Expression: FALSE Message: (null)
-----TobEx: Throne of Bhaal Extender build 0.25.10.29 (Tue 07 May 2013 03:31:21)
[Tue 07 May 2013 03:31:27] ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x98EA1E File: ChDimm.cpp Line: 834 Expression: FALSE Message: (null)

Has anyone a simple clue of what's going wrong ?

Attached File  SETUP-GENERALIZED_BIFFING_DEBUG.7z   171.47K   252 downloads

Edited by Gwendolyne, 06 May 2013 - 05:58 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Ouh, and what the F is the CD's doing in the totally different directory than your game one ? Are you sure they were in the install directory when you installed the all the mods !
Well, I suspect your baldur.ini and a fact of having a CD/DVD/imagedrive mounted at somepoint with this: -being the cause of the problem.

C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\BGII - SoA\setup-generalized_biffing.exe
[./CHITIN.KEY] loaded, 590481 bytes
[./CHITIN.KEY] 182 BIFFs, 41788 resources
[dialog.tlk] loaded, 9572997 bytes
[dialog.tlk] 75440 string entries
[./Baldur.ini] loaded, 3107 bytes
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [E:\CD1\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [E:\CD5\]

Edited by The Imp, 06 May 2013 - 10:23 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Yes, I have a CD imagedrive mounted (to preserve my old CDs).

But it just works like a charm with all my installs (6 in fact).

And everything was OK untill I installed Generalized Biffing.

Don't tell me I can only use Generalized Biffing in the first installation !

Edited by Gwendolyne, 06 May 2013 - 08:47 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Don't tell me I can only use Generalized Biffing in the first installation !

I am not telling that... but during mod installation, you would probably do better if you kept all the files in the same directory.
So make a backup of the first install by archiving it to a .rar file... so it also includes the CD2-CD5 folders and their content, then when you extract that, you only need to first modify the baldur.ini file so it ends up being(if the new game folder is "C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\" ):

[Alias] 
HD0:=C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\ 
CD1:=C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\CD1\ 
CD2:=C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\CD2\ 
CD3:=C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\CD3\ 
CD4:=C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\CD4\ 
CD5:=C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\CD5\ 

This way, when you install all the mods, you will have the start and end data in the game folders during the install phase, and of course you should remove all the CD/DVD/image discs during the mod installation phase.

After this when you want to just play the game, you can alter the above to be like this(if the original game folder of course is that of "C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\"):

[Alias] 
HD0:=C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\ 
CD1:=C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\CD1\ 
CD2:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\ 
CD3:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\ 
CD4:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\ 
CD5:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\ 

This of course allows you to delete the CD2-CD5 folders from the "C:\Black Isle\DIAMANT2\" -folder.

Ehm, by the way, what did you start the game with ? As you should start it from the BGMain.exe specifically, not from the baldur.exe, as that's no good for anything file. You can see from this, the original problem is indeed related to the [Alias] 'es.

Edited by The Imp, 06 May 2013 - 10:25 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have uninstalled Generalized Biffing and I can launch the game again !

So the pb comes from that mod.

But what is strange is that after the biffing I could open with DLTCEP all the files introduced by the mods installed before the biffing ! It was just BGMain.exe that failed...

Edit : and yes, I launched the game with BGMain.exe ! ;) And didn't change the Baldur.ini file that works perfectly with or without mods. It just fails after Generalized Biffing !

btw I will try your way... ;)

Edited by Gwendolyne, 06 May 2013 - 09:56 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

btw I will try your way... ;)

Good, I hope it solves things... erhm I edited slitely the above messages to add in a few notes.

Yep, the suspect at this point is the weidu.exe not being fully able to jump from one directory to another, it can in BGT's install but the fact in there is, it exracts the files from a known to a know location using rigged commands that fail without a rigged file structure(full bg1 install etc etc.).

Yep, it would be a nightmare to make the Weidu.exe able to jump drives, directories and operation systems... :devil:

Edited by The Imp, 06 May 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#7 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thanks a lot ! :)

You saved my life... ;)

I copied the CDn folders into my test-folder, installed Generalized Biffing and everything works fine !

Maybe it would be interesting to mention in the readme or in the FAQ that in case of multi-installations, you must copy all those folders before biffing...

Thanks again... ;)

Edited by Gwendolyne, 06 May 2013 - 11:06 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....