• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

Hey there,

I would be grateful if someone could proofread my upcoming mod.

You can either copy & paste the text from the spoiler or download the attached .tra file, that's up to you. :P

As usual, please also comment on the text/phrases as a whole; do they sound off or silly? If so, please let me know.

Also, if you're a native German speaker and would be willing to proofread the German translation, just drop me a note and I'll contact you once it is finished. :)

Many thanks in advance,

Ulb

Full text:

Spoiler

Full text as file:

Attached File  UBRPET.tra   6.74K   333 downloads

*Edit* Updated text with Daulmakan's improvements.

Edited by Ulb, 07 May 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#2 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

My suggestions:
@8 = ~%name% is what you be called from now on.~
Either 'you are called' or 'you will be called' (as you wrote below).
@16 = ~Great, lets get going then.~
let's.
@18 = ~%name% tilts it's head and waits for your instructions.~
its.
@19 = ~I want you to behave all natural. Do as you normally would do, whether we are in combat or not.~
I think 'naturally' instead of 'all natural' sounds better.
@31 = ~Just stay within hearing range and I will call, once I need you back here.~
I'd change the last part to '...and I will call you when I need you back here'.
@34 = ~That was fun, lets get going then.~
let's.

You have several sentences that differ very little between them, to the point that it doesn't seem worth it to have two strings saying almost the same thing IMO.
@72 = ~Rod of Resurrection~
@73 = ~Rods are about three feet long and as thick as your thumb. They are normally found in cases or similar storage places. Rods can be fashioned from metal, wood, ivory, or bone. They can be plain or decorated and carved, tipped, or not. Rods are powered by charges, unless noted otherwise in the description of a particular rod. Each time the rod is used, one or more charge may be expended.~
@74 = ~Rod of Resurrection
This rod enables anyone to resurrect the dead as if they were of high enough level to cast the resurrection spell and if they were a priest. No rest is required, as the rod bestows the life giving effects. Each use of the rod expends one charge.

STATISTICS

Special Abilities (one charge): Resurrection~
When you're using strings already present in the vanilla game, instead of repeating them in your .TRA you can just point the game to those lines. For example, instead of doing SAY DESC @74 in your .tp2, you could just do SAY DESC #39620 and not have to do that line in the .TRA.

Your mod seems nice, I'll give give it a try once it's out.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#3 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for your input Daulmakan, I'll update my .tra file and the one in my first post in a minute. :)

As for those very similar lines, each of them is for a different kind of animal. (E.g.: ''.. my winged friend.'' is for a wyvern and ''., my big friend.'' for a brown bear. So those lines won't show up together. :)

About the already present description lines; I wasn't sure whether the dialogue entries are really the same for each install or might change (due to another mod or just the order in which you install the patches and fixpacks).

Also, I always thought WeiDU would search the dialogue.tlk file and avoid duplication lines, all by itself?

Anyway, thanks again for your help. :)

#4 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

As for those very similar lines, each of them is for a different kind of animal. (E.g.: ''.. my winged friend.'' is for a wyvern and ''., my big friend.'' for a brown bear. So those lines won't show up together. :)
I meant these type of lines:
@19 = ~I want you to behave all natural. Do as you normally would do, whether we are in combat or not.~
@20 = ~I want you to keep behaving all natural and do as you normally would do, whether we are in combat or not.~
@21 = ~I want you to only do what I tell you to do, at least while we are not in combat. It is OK for you to behave naturally while we are in combat, though.~
@22 = ~I want you to keep doing only what I tell you to do, at least while we are not in combat. It is still OK for you to behave naturally while we are in combat, though.~
@23 = ~I want you to only do what I tell you, whether we are in combat or not. No matter what happens, you will only do as I tell you.~
@24 = ~I want you to keep doing only what I tell you to do, whether we are in combat or not.~
@14 = ~Fine. Now that this is settled, there is something else I wanted from you...~
@15 = ~Now, listen %name%, there's something else I want...~
@33 = ~There is something else I wanted from you...~

Still your call, though, I don't want to nitpick too much.

About the already present description lines; I wasn't sure whether the dialogue entries are really the same for each install or might change (due to another mod or just the order in which you install the patches and fixpacks).
Assuming the standard install of english ToB with latest patch, the order/reference of the vanilla lines shouldn't change.

Also, I always thought WeiDU would search the dialogue.tlk file and avoid duplication lines, all by itself?
You are correct. (That's what I get for not reading the entire weidu Readme). :)

#5 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

The first three of your quotes are 'either-or' lines too.

If the animal's A.I. is currently set to another option you'll get the 'I want you to do..' line.

If the A.I. option is already set to that value, you'll get the 'I want you to keep...' line. :P

As for the three other lines, you are probably right. Though a little variation isn't too bad I guess.

Assuming the standard install of english ToB with latest patch, the order/reference of the vanilla lines shouldn't change.

Hm, but what about other languages? If the string entries aren't the same for those languages, pointing to a stringref instead of just adding the whole text would probably complicate things a lot for potential translators.

#6 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hm, but what about other languages? If the string entries aren't the same for those languages, pointing to a stringref instead of just adding the whole text would probably complicate things a lot for potential translators.
I don't know for sure because I don't have BG2 in other languages, but If I was a dev, I'm pretty sure the sensible thing to do would be translating strings into other languages without changing their dependencies, that would mean extra work for no reason. And doing the # thing would save you copy/paste time and your translators wouldn't need to translate lines that are already available from within the game.

#7 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

As far as I know, I had little problems with the dialog.tlk and dialogF.tlk files.

When I began to write my dialogs, I used many # strings to avoid too much job for the translators.

Everything was fine in French until I dowloaded the US dialog file !

Sometimes, in French, the translators changed the structure of strings to make them fit better to the background.

The simplest exemples are "oui" and "non" ("yes" and "no") : in many cases, "oui" or "no" are enough to respond a question in French, but when you look in the US files, you find "yes I can" or "no I won't" just because it's the way english language is ruled.

And I  know it is the same thing in German and in Spanish.

Furthermore, sometimes we must change the string in the dialogF file because the male string doesn't suit to a female character.

So, the same string in the dialog file may have different entries in the dialogF one !

All that to tell you, Ulb, that I had to rewrite all my dialogs !

So the best thing to do is to write your own strings and let WeiDU do its job : compare the strings and write new ones when needed !

There are exceptions of course, such as "Epée courte +1" that will always have the same meaning in every language : "Short sword +1" !

Edited by Gwendolyne, 07 May 2013 - 09:04 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#8 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Aye, thanks for the elaboration (both of you).

I'll keep putting everything into the tra file, seems to be the safer way. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: proofreading