Swear words in Baldur's Gate 2?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

I just used the word "bitch" in my mod, but then wondered if it's even present in the vanilla game(=whether I should use it or replace it). I remember "Bitch Queen" in Baldur's Gate 1, but that's all, no? It's not used anywhere in dialog.tlk casually, or is it?

I'm sure I haven't seen anything stronger - it's not Mass Effect 2 or 3, after all. But I wonder about the "bitch". Anyone seen it in Baldur's Gate 2?

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

It's used in a few places throughout BG2. :) For example, the Alibakkar dude says: "Hmph. If you change your mind, I shall be here to speak to you. But if you go to that Lurraxol bitch with this information, you will not be welcome back!"

"Whore" is also used a couple of times, interestingly enough.

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:41 AM

Oh, good! Thank you very much!

It's just that I'm Russian, and the word "whore" is commonly used in my language; "bitch" is not used as casually. I think I'll use it now in the mod, though(but will translate differently) - it's for a strong scene. Thanks again!

#4 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

No problem! :)

#5 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

If it's used for its proper definition, it's not considered foul language, but it is if it's used as an insult.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#6 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Someone should remake Saints Row 2 in BG.

#7 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Or maybe make a character based on Jesse Pinkman ;)

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#8 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Breaking Baldur

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

Well, hmm, now how did I miss out on such a classic post? (Oh yeah, heh, I don't log in that often... :P.)

For BG1 vanilla, apart from Umberlee-related references:

#3493 [KIVAN 31] You dark-hearted bitch, you'll die for that.

#4301 You're those bastards who've been taking down our mining ops.  Well you've come to the wrong place kiddos.  I'm one mean son of a bitch, and I'm gonna give you a world o' hurt.

#6442 Life has been pretty lousy lately; how about you friend?  My bitch of a wife slept with some elvish mongrel, and even had his child.  By the Nine Hells, does she ever have gall.  Anyway, she's not laughing anymore; I cursed the child of that unholy union, so that it would die an early death.  I hope the little brat drowns in its own vomit.  

#8921 [Letter from Sarevok to Slythe] ... Make sure to keep a leash on your little bitch of a wife...

(Used a lot in its traditional sense to refer to werewolf women in TotSC as well)

As for BG2 and EE(2), probably a lot more... didn't check. But I think you can assume that any sort of commonplace curse can get rendered into "Common" as it would've in pre-modern i.e. medieval times (and such words were just as common back then, as some of the oldest "curse" words were).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle