Photo

Edited Item Data displays cutscene text (IEEP, Shadow Keeper)

item modding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chloros

Chloros
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hey there! Thanks for checking on this, and sorry in advance if this is a common problem that I should know how to fix.

My original intent was to make a custom armor for a Fighter/Mage charname that would let him cast spells, and put it into the BGTutu game I'm running. I changed a few things around on some armor in the Item Maker (version 1.2.2) of Infinity Engine Editor Pro (version 1.0.0.9) and stuck the resultant product into the "override" folder of BGTutu.

When I looked at it in the Item Browser of Shadow Keeper, though, all I saw for the item name was some of the text from the Candlekeep scrolling text intro scene, about being raised by Gorion, and the item description was just two paragraphs from later in that text block.

After messing around with it a bit and trying a few times more, with similar results, I removed the file, and tried again, this time extracting a normal Splint Mail and only editing the description a little bit. I ended up with the same problem, this time with text from the scrolling text scene about Gorion being dead, but only for the item description, not item name. "You will not last long on your own with your meager equipment. Perhaps you can get some help from the friends Gorion mentioned, the ones at the Friendly Arm Inn."

When I try to extract the item through Shadow Keeper, I get a pop-up that just says, "Unable to locate the resource in the file." I don't know what's causing this; I haven't put the item in the game in any way, I've only edited it with IEEP and opened it with Shadow Keeper. I've used WinBiff, but not on this item. I've checked that Shadow Keeper is looking at the Tutu directory, and not a different one.

Has anyone had this happen to them, or know what might be going down? Any insight would be heavily appreciated.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

Well, when you edit the item description, you need to use it in the same game, or you need to make a weidu mod out of it to edit the dialog.tlk file ... and you need to use the DLTCEP, not the IEEP as that's a savegame editor as far as I know, and the Shadowkeeper is the dame, it cannot edit the dialog.tlk .

So your best bet is to actually make the item in the game you wish to use it at. Well or to do that to on the other game, and then save the .itm file, copy one of the setup-modname.exe files and rename it as setup-*mymodname*.exe and then make a setup-*mymod*.tp2 file out of a new .txt file in a the_modfolder which is in the new games game folder and copy this code to it...

BACKUP ~the_modfoldername/backup~
AUTHOR ~my name~

BEGIN ~The mod components name~

COPY ~the_modfoldername/IJ#blun.itm~ ~override~
SAY NAME1 ~Mace~
SAY NAME2 ~Mace + 2: 'Krotan's Skullcrusher'~
SAY DESC ~Mace +2: 'Krotan's Skullcrusher'
Even the hordes have their heroes, and while they are vilified in civilized company, their deeds are sometimes impressive nonetheless. Krotan was an exceptionally intelligent orc, as far as orcs go, who commanded an ever-shifting legion of ogres, orcs, hobgoblins, and other assorted beasties during the Year of the Lost Lady, 1241DR. It was in this year that a group of orc bandits allegedly kidnapped and killed a Tethyrian noblewoman, and the response from authorities was a genocidal slaughter of orcs throughout the south in her memory. Krotan mounted a defense that ensured his people were not entirely destroyed; though they were displaced. Krotan himself fell near the end of the conflict, and his head was mounted outside the graveyard where the young lady was buried. As a point of interest, orc's called this time the "Year of Pushing Too Far."

STATISTICS:

Damage:  1D6 + 3
THACO:  +2
Damage type:  crushing
Weight: 7
Speed Factor: 5
Proficiency Type: Mace
Type:  1-handed
Not Usable By:
Druid
Mage
Thief~

And alter the above to fit to what you want it to say.

Edited by The Imp, 05 June 2013 - 02:30 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Chloros

Chloros
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Okay, I see the problem. The IEEP actually does have an item editor, so I'll try it again with that before installing anything else. Thanks a lot!

For anyone else who had the same problem, you might find it more easily explained here in the seventh post from the bottom.

EDIT: Well, I ended up getting another error. 

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGTutu\setup-wardmail.exe] WeiDU version 20600

** ERROR ** [SETUP-WARDMAIL.TP2] not found.
Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.[C:\Program Files\Balck Isle\BGTutu\setup-wardmail.exe] Using scripting style "BG"

Press ENTER to exit.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with this one. They have the same filename, and they're both in the BGTutu directory. The only thing that makes the tp2 file I made different from the other ones already in the directory is that my computer is showing it as a text document (ie with the Notepad icon), not a TP2 file like, for example, setup-tutufix.tp2.

Any insight? And thanks for your help so far.

EDIT2: Welp, got that fixed. For whatever reason, Notepad, the text editor I was using, didn't want to save in .tp2 format. It added the file extension fine, but the file was still a .txt. I ended up making a .tp2 in TextWrangler on a mac, transferring it to the machine where I play Tutu, and using it there. Complicated, but it worked. ;) Thanks a lot!

Edited by Chloros, 05 June 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#4 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

The thing to keep in mind with editing items (and spells, etc.) is that their names and descriptions are not stored along with the other information inside the .itm file.  They are stored in a separate file that contains all text used in the game (dialog.tlk).  Copying your .itm file into the game's override folder is not enough if you are giving it a new description.  Using an installer like WeiDU, you can copy a file and update dialog.tlk with its description at the same time.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with this one. They have the same filename, and they're both in the BGTutu directory. The only thing that makes the tp2 file I made different from the other ones already in the directory is that my computer is showing it as a text document (ie with the Notepad icon), not a TP2 file like, for example, setup-tutufix.tp2.

Any insight? And thanks for your help so far.

Your file is probably named setup-wardmail.tp2.txt instead of setup-wardmail.tp2.  Windows hides file extensions by default.  You can disable this by going to Folder Options (either in Control Panel or via a folder's Tools menu) and unchecking "Hide extensions for known filetypes" on the View tab.

If you are using Windows Vista or a newer operating system, you should install your IE games outside of the Program Files directory or you may encounter situations where files do not get modified properly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: item, modding