@Dabus: will you keep working on BWS?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phillon

phillon
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

Hi there Dabus,

I saw some posts of yours recently suggesting that you are not going to be updating the BWS configuration anymore? What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that if Leonardo release a new version of BWP (say v11.6) then the current BWS won't work with it or if it does work will cause problems? Are all the download locations and package names hardcoded into BWS? I have used BWS a few times now and it is an amazing piece of work; I just want to express my sincere gratitude for what you (and Leonardo) have done. Seriously: thank you. It makes the process of installing and downloading all these mods for this masterpiece of games much more manageable. I (and quite a few others I imagine) would be very sad if you stopped working on BWS.

Regards,

phillon

#2 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I won't update the BWS configuration means that I won't maintain the Config-section anymore. So the configuration will just stall as it is now.
New mods will not be included, changed components will not be taken into account, which will result in only slightly more work if you'd install using Leonardos batch-file.
If the configuration was fixed, I wouldn't be able to switch between games (IWD, PST, ...). Look at the FAQ or the config-folder for details.

Thanks for your appreciation.
I've been doing the updates for the config-files for years and I was fed up with it years ago.
If it wasn't for some vision that configuration could be done by some php/web-dialogues, I wouldn't have started to maintain them again.
So don't expect me to change my view on things. Think of the fun of doing your annual tax declaration and you get the feeling I was having when maintaining the files. :D

Of course I had some fun with the BWS, too, but that was more or less the coding and not searching for new mods, versions, translations, components, changing sequences and so on.

If anyone is mad uhm, brave enough to try it, you can just fetch the BWS, put some notes in there what was my work and what you did, don't ask for money when publishing the files and I guess I'd be fine with it.

Edited by dabus, 11 June 2013 - 02:44 PM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#3 phillon

phillon
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

Hi Dabus,

Thank you for the clarification and feedback. And again, thank you for everything you have done for the BG/IE community, it is greatly appreciated.

-phillon

#4 -Lizzah-

-Lizzah-

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:57 AM

Just wanted to chime in and say that your work is the reason I've been installing Big Project at all. Thank you for all your hard work in updating and maintaining the mod! I hope someone else takes it over though :)

#5 Wintershade

Wintershade
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Just another quick (but by no means small) thanks from me for all your work, dabus.

I'm personally both into the accounting and IT business, so I couldn't help chuckling at your comparison with the annual tax declaration, and I completely understand you.

Thank you very, very much.

Only the best is good enough.