Photo

No voices in Win 7 64-bit Pro

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Boradordin

Boradordin
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I have a follow-up to Vlad's posting wherein he could not play music.  I have found a similar problem.

I just finalized installing BG1 and TotSC and patched it using the official patch.  I installed the game to a non-boot drive so I do not think it is a problem with Window's protection services.

I do not hear any voices from any of the characters. And that goes for the opening movie as well. It is also curious that I hear the voices if I play BG1:EE.

Any help appreciated.

Cordially,
'Ol Bearded Menace

logo-mine-200ppi.png

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

For kicks, open the baldur.ini in your BG1 game directory with Notepad and copy paste the whole file to a post...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

In the sound options in game, ensure that "audio surround" option is disabled. I don't know the proper term for it as I'm using a french version, it's the one below the volume adjustments for various kinds of sounds and music.

This is a common cause of issues starting from Vista as there was no proper driver for that. I don't know if its been fixed ever since.

#4 Boradordin

Boradordin
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

For kicks, open the baldur.ini in your BG1 game directory with Notepad and copy paste the whole file to a post...

Here it comes.  I manually added the "Resolution=1920" line as I recalled that from an INI file back in the day.

[Alias]
HD0:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\
CD1:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD1\
CD2:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD2\
CD3:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD3\
CD4:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD4\
CD5:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD5\
CD6:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD6\
[Program Options]
SoftSrcKeyBltFast=0
SoftBltFast=0
SoftSrcKeyBlt=0
SoftBlt=0
SoftMirrorBlt=0
Translucent Shadows=1
Path Search Nodes=4000
Maximum Frame Rate=30
Tooltips=45
Sprite Mirror=0
Gamma Correction=0
Resolution=1920
Brightness Correction=0
Volume Movie=80
Volume Music=30
Volume Voices=80
Volume Ambients=80
Volume SFX=80
Strref On=0
BitsPerPixel=32
[GameSpy]
Region=5
[Program Options]
Volume Music=40
[Game Options]
Memory Access=100
Footsteps=1
Weather=1
Memory Level=1
Mouse Scroll Speed=12
GUI Feedback Level=5
Locator Feedback Level=3
Bored Timeout=3000
Always Dither=1
Subtitles=0
Keyboard Scroll Speed=36
Command Sounds Frequency=3
Selection Sounds Frequency=3
Effect Text Level=62
Infravision=0
Tutorial State=1
Attack Sounds=1
Auto Pause State=0
Difficulty Level=3
Quick Item Mapping=1
Environmental Audio=1
[Config]
CacheSize=240
DisplayConfigMsg=0
[Movies]
BG4LOGO=1
TSRLOGO=1
BILOGO=1
INFELOGO=1
INTRO=1
[MissionPack]
HardDrive=1

In the sound options in game, ensure that "audio surround" option is disabled. I don't know the proper term for it as I'm using a french version, it's the one below the volume adjustments for various kinds of sounds and music.

This is a common cause of issues starting from Vista as there was no proper driver for that. I don't know if its been fixed ever since.

In the Englsih version its called Environmental Audio.  It is unchecked and cannot be checked.  That also applies in BGII - SoA as well.  In both games I hear all the other sounds, I think.  I know I hear the background music.  I'm starting to ponder installing this $200.00USD Sounb Blaster card I bought for this new computer.  I like the sound on-board card so I never installed the SB card.

I can also ponder about installing the TotSC DirectX8 update. I have DirectX10.

And my thanks to each of you.

Cordially,

'Ol Bearded Menace

P.S.  As a giggle BGI, when I start it up, wants me to put the CD in Drive H:.  I installed it from drive Z.

Edited by Boradordin, 01 July 2013 - 03:59 PM.

logo-mine-200ppi.png

#5 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

I

Edited by The Imp, 02 July 2013 - 01:41 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

Here it comes. I manually added ...
...and here is what you actually did yourself:

[Alias]
HD0:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\
CD1:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD1\
CD2:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD2\ <----------------- this here should be the original CD installation drive... the data stored is already in the HD0's /data -folder, so there's no reason to edit any of the CD2 - CD6 in BG1 ... exactly like the original program does (not alter any of the lines).
CD3:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD3\
CD4:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD4\
CD5:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD5\
CD6:=f:\games\black isle\baldur's gate\CD6\
[Program Options]
Volume Music=30
[Program Options]
Volume Music=40

The above double marking might give you hard time. Erhm... I notice you like to edit the baldur.ini just a BIT ... but considering the original works quite well without any of these edits ... :devil:
What comes to the "Resolution=1920", the widescreen mod shouldn't actually use the baldur.ini file anymore to determine the resolution.

P.S. As a giggle BGI, when I start it up, wants me to put the CD in Drive H:. I installed it from drive Z
Well, this is a known inconsistency within the game... what you should do is not actually touch the baldur.ini ... well except if you need to manually install the game using the minimal install, and in that case you just edit the install type parameters. ... and have the play CD(the BG1 TotSC cd actually) in one of the drives, a image drive is the better option here to avoid scratching... and start the game from the BGMain.exe ... if I remember correctly.

Edited by The Imp, 02 July 2013 - 01:48 AM.

#7 Boradordin

Boradordin
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

The only thing I changed in my INI file was to change the CD lines and to add the Resolution line.  I did not add an additional Program Options | Volume Music lines, they came with the install.  I'll back out the Resolution line.  I'll also back out the CD changes, putting it back to Z:\CD1, etc.

As for the duality of the Program Options - Volume Music, that is not my doing.  That came from the game install. honest.  I'll remove the second entry.

Now as to Bigg's wide screen mod.  I added the Resolution line as I saw in an online posting where someone had to add it.  I did that because the game is still running in 640x480.  Its been so long since I ran the game, several years ago now, that getting it to pick up my wide screen monitor and the voices I'm starting to guess my wisdom of dusting it off.

But I Soooo desperately want to play it.  I restarted my computer this mornng / afternoon and I'm going to start the hame up again.  Hopefully the retart will solve my voices and wide screen problems, but i dont' hold out any hope.  AND, I really don't' want to break my computer down to install a sound card, disabling the on board sound.  The internals of my computer are hairy because of all the stuff inside.

Thanks for getting back to me and hopefully we can get 'er up and runnin'.  Once I do that I can start choosing what non-adventuring mods to install.

logo-mine-200ppi.png

#8 Boradordin

Boradordin
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Well, I started the game up.  No luck on either the resolution or the sound,

If I can at get the screen resolution problem resolved I'm seriously going to consider installing my Sound Blaster card.

I wonder if it might help to install the DirectX patch from way back when?

logo-mine-200ppi.png

#9 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Now as to Bigg's wide screen mod. I added the Resolution line as I saw in an online posting where someone had to add it. I did that because the game is still running in 640x480. Its been so long since I ran the game, several years ago now, that getting it to pick up my wide screen monitor and the voices I'm starting to guess my wisdom of dusting it off.
That's because you haven't yet installed the widescreen mod... or it didn't actually take. All the weidu.exe based mod installations prints text in a cmd.exe-like-window and you have to go through the question it gives, they also pring a setup-modname.debug file during installation, the file can be later opened with Notepad .
And the game has no other resolution setting than the 640x480 in BG1(without the widescreen mod), in BG2, there's the 800x600 and the only working unofficial 1024x764 resolution, the others don't as they crash when you wear a 2 handed sword and go to inventory etc... anyways the Widescreen mod fixes the crashes with any and all resolution settings that have been tried, and the hardware is able to produce.
I wonder if it might help to install the DirectX patch from way back when?
Well you might as well try... but before that copy the entire game folder to elsewhere if you have the space and then patch the game... this way you can unpatch by removing the new folder and replacing it with the old(PS: Do not overwrite ! )

Edited by The Imp, 02 July 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#10 Boradordin

Boradordin
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

Imp,

This has offitically become an exercise in futility.  I would use some other choice words but I'll try to keep it clean instead.smile.png

I uninstalled Baldur's Gate using the Windows routine and then deleted the directory. I then popped in CD1 and up popped the pretty install me window of Baldur's Gate.  I click on Install and up pops UAC's "Are you sure" window.  Dumb computer!  After clicking on the Yes button everything goes away with nothing happening.  No installation.

On a hunch I turned off UAC and restarted the computer.  It is now installing.  Waiting..., waiting...

It took a slightly longer period of time to install the game disks.  When it came time to reinsert disk 1 it took much longer.  Eventually it came up to the Launching Movie dialogue.  It has been five minutes and I'm still waiting for the movie to launch.  The CD drive light is a solid green, no blinking.  So far this has been a totally different install than the other day, taking much longer. Waiting... waiting...

It took over 10 minutes 'til the movie began playing.  I still have no voices.  Neither the movie when the game first loads giving you the back ground, nor if I talk to one of the mages.  I know the config program is accessing my Baldur.Ini as I changed the region from 0 to 5.  Also, I have two Program Options sections in it, both with Volume Movie lines in them.

So, I'm back to Square 1 with the game still not working correctly.  I have not installed any patches nor TotSC. Again I'm pondering, should I install the DirectX patch after I install TotSC and its patch?  FYI, and to be honest, I've got a thread going on over at Gibberling3 also.  I'm going to close this thread, giving a link to the thread we have going over there.

logo-mine-200ppi.png