Bran and the Beholders

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

I'm having a little trouble with Bran and the beholders in his house.  I go inside and talk to Bran, who warns me not to go upstairs because I'll regret it.  As any good adventurer would do, I go upstairs, where I'm promptly attacked by two Beholders.  However, just after they turn hostile, I get an assertion failure. ToBEx logs it as:

ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x49F287 File: CGameAIBaseActions.cpp Line: 2096 Expression: FALSE Message: (null)

Googling seems to to indicate that this problem can be caused by incorrect targeting of spell effects.  It'd be awesome if (failing a bugfix that you come up with) you could tell me which creature file these beholders use so I can try to figure out which innate they're trying to use that's making my game crash.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

First things first... push the button "x" after you go upstairs, you might first need to push the pause or something ... it will show up the area code(name), after that, when the crash happens, open up the game with Near Infinity, open up the .are file and you should see the beholders and take it from there...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Looks like I probably fixed it myself.  The Flesh to Stone innate that the Death Tyrants were using (SPIN984.SPL) had a null target value set for its third effect. I changed it from

Effect: Type: Magic resistance bonus (166),Targettype: Unknown(0),Power: 0,Value: 100,

to

Effect: Type: Magic resistance bonus (166),Targettype: TargetPresetTarget (2),Power: 0,Value: 100,

using Near Infinity and my game no longer crashes as I fight them.

I have absolutely no idea a) what that effect is supposed to do and b) whether the bug was introduced by FFT or some other mod (or even how to figure either of those things out), but since I seem to vaguely remember having this problem before with FFT (and in that case solving it simply by CTRL+Ying the Tyrants to death before they could attack), I think it's possible that the bug is introduced by this mod and needs to be fixed.  In any case, I hope that this information will help someone, somewhere.

#4 Xukuth

Xukuth
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Incidentally, should I be going up there without a quest? Don't want to break anything.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have absolutely no idea a) what that effect is supposed to do and b) whether the bug was introduced by FFT or some other mod (or even how to figure either of those things out), but since I seem to vaguely remember having this problem before with FFT (and in that case solving it simply by CTRL+Ying the Tyrants to death before they could attack), I think it's possible that the bug is introduced by this mod and needs to be fixed.  In any case, I hope that this information will help someone, somewhere.

Well to figure that out, you need the change-log the "SPIN984.SPL" -file and see which of the 'patched' makes it crash.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 Xukuth

Xukuth
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Looks like it's a bug with SCS v22.

#7 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yep, that's the faulty beta...

#8 ancalimohtar

ancalimohtar
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Looks like this problem still exists in SCS v24 beta. (And for me it was on a regular Beholder during the Cult of the Unseeing Eye quest, the group that spawns after the broken-bridge puzzle before you get the rift device.)

Edited by ancalimohtar, 02 September 2013 - 02:56 PM.

WeiDU.log:

Spoiler

#9 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

Okay - not my problem then.

-Y-

#10 -Davey-

-Davey-

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

Looks like this problem still exists in SCS v24 beta. (And for me it was on a regular Beholder during the Cult of the Unseeing Eye quest, the group that spawns after the broken-bridge puzzle before you get the rift device.)

bump... I'm having the same problem.  what's the workaround?

#11 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:12 AM

I have no idea. I think your best bet may be to try the SCS forum on Gibberlings3 as it's an SCS problem.

-Y-

#12 -Davey-

-Davey-

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

a Follow-up post:

the editing of the spell SPIN984.SPL fixed it.  had to change the target to (2).

Thanks for the reply Yovaneth.   :D

G3 helped http://gibberlings3....showtopic=25222

#13 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:30 AM

:D -Y-