How to change how BGT transfers NPCs during the transition to BG2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PutridWalker

PutridWalker
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

I read in another topic, a post by Ascension64 where he says:

The mod probably doesn't add anything in the way of BGT transition for the NPCs, in which case the default BGT behaviour is to treat them like multiplayer characters (keep them in the party).

And I would like to change this default behavior to the opposite. Most NPCs have a separate other version of the NPC re-join in BG2 anyway, and if they don't they probably have no BG2 content so they would be completely silent anyway. This would also solve the situation for mods like Valerie NPC and Isra NPC, both which gets transfered despite Valerie having no BG2 content and Isra becoming duplicated.

So, is there a way to change how BGT handles this after it is already installed?

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Time to learn moding... an NPC mod... you probably just have to remove the "exportable" -flag from the NPC's file with NearInfinity or DLTCEP... hmm, Shadowkeeper can't do that.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 PutridWalker

PutridWalker
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Time to learn moding... an NPC mod... you probably just have to remove the "exportable" -flag from the NPC's file with NearInfinity or DLTCEP... hmm, Shadowkeeper can't do that.

Thanks, but I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean. My question was how I could modify BGTs behaviour, not the NPCs behaviour. The whole problem is the fact that BGT defaults to "keep the NPC in party, if nothing is specified". I think the best solution would be to modify the BGT behaviour to "drop the NPC from party, if nothing is specified".

That's what I am trying to achieve.

#4 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

If you are into any kind of WeiDU/Infinity Engine modding, have a look at the Import more NPCs into Shadows of Amn component of BGTTweaks, which will have a basic outline of the code you need to 'import' your NPC into Shadows of Amn. Alternatively, the Dark Side of the Sword Coast compatibility section of Setup-BGT.tp2 will also have your answer.

If you need more guidance than this, then either someone will need to do it for you or, as mentioned above, some modding knowledge is in order.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#5 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:57 AM

If you need more guidance than this, then either someone will need to do it for you or, as mentioned above, some modding knowledge is in order.

Erhm, the PutridWalker is trying to find a solution to this sort of thing with the BGT, and that sould be the removal of the Exportable -flag the character has in the .cre file. There's another character than Isra that has this... as it's mod specific.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 PutridWalker

PutridWalker
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Erhm, the PutridWalker is trying to find a solution to this sort of thing with the BGT, and that sould be the removal of the Exportable -flag the character has in the .cre file. There's another character than Isra that has this... as it's mod specific.

To be honest, it has more to do with this sort of thing. But, I will take your advice then, and just remove the exportable flag from NPCs affected in BG1. I take it this will be enough to have them not being available in BG2?

@Ascension64

I'm not a modder I just thought changing the BGT behavior in this (seemingly) small matter would be easy. It would seem that I was wrong, then.

#7 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

I double checked with Isra, and she is unexportable already, so unless something's gone screwy there, messing around with that shouldn't be an easy fix for this. (Sorry for being so slow at dealing with this, but I don't have TotSC, so I can't run BGT, which means I'll need to get a hold of K'aeloree before figuring this issue out.)

Ascension64, what is aram00.bcs? Is that a BGT only file?

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

@Rhaella, yes it is. The character import code (or rather, the character running away code; the import codes are in the specific areas you want them to appear in in BG2) is contained in this script. The empirical approach would be simply to pilfer the necessary script blocks and change the script names to reflect Isra.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#9 PutridWalker

PutridWalker
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Ascension64, I know you were addressing Rhaella but I have looked at ARAM00.BCS, trying to also solve this for myself. And while I am no modder, I do understand this stuff on a basic level. But admittedly I can't quite wrap my head around what edit I need to make here (or rather, what block to pilfer).

I figured that if you could lend a hand here, maybe it could also help Rhaella.

Here is my ARAM00.BCS: (I'm also attaching this file for you Rhaella, in case it would be helpful when you troubleshoot your mod)

Spoiler

So, if I want xxx.cre to simply run away here, which block shall I pilfer for this?

Attached Files

#10 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

@Ascension64, is it safe to EXTEND TOP with that ~OnCreation()~ sitting at the top there? EXTEND BOTTOM looks even more dangerous.

@PutridWalker, I would not try to edit that file manually. I should have a fix for you hopefully before the end of the night. I think I know how to fix it, though until I get a hold of K'aeloree, I can't test to see if it even installs, much less works.