Photo

Tanova just stands there (Chapter 3)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ancalimohtar

ancalimohtar
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

That's about it really. I tried replacing BODTAN.CRE with older backup versions from mod backup folders, but none of them worked. I don't really know how NI works, but I took a look, and it says "None" for Override, Class, Race, General and Default scripts. That's bad right? Also, when I click on the Dialog field ("BODTAN.DLG") in the little window thing below with all the DLG options, has "None" selected, and BODTAN.DLG is not there. Did the DLG file disappear?
WeiDU.log:

Spoiler

#2 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Afaik "Smarter mages" from SCS should affect her. 

Without SCS, her scripts are correctly set.

Sound like a bug to me, if those fields are set to "None".

BODTAN.DLG I don't have even without SCS, and it doesn't matter if she's just standing idle.

#3 ancalimohtar

ancalimohtar
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

When I put backup versions of BODTAN.CRE in override though, it didn't help. Maybe she already spawned and I needed to reload from a save from before I entered the area? I don't know how that works.
WeiDU.log:

Spoiler

#4 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

You could try deleting stuff from your CACHE, TEMP, and TEMPSAVE folders. I read somewhere that it should work. I tried it today since my game started crashing when a BG1 skeleton should appear. 

It didn't work, until I edited that particular skeleton and removed his shield which apperently caused an animation crash. sigh. 

Once I was happy with Tactics.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

You could try deleting stuff from your CACHE, TEMP, and TEMPSAVE folders. I read somewhere that it should work. I tried it today since my game started crashing when a BG1 skeleton should appear. 

It didn't work, until I edited that particular skeleton and removed his shield which apperently caused an animation crash. sigh.

Those are two different solutions to two different problems... the one being an old file and the other that should be always corrected with the automated .cre fixer.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 ancalimohtar

ancalimohtar
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Once I was happy with Tactics.

I had that same exact CTD--that was the reason I put the game down for six months in 2012. I don't know why nobody's fixed it in BGT yet. I would crash around High Hedge.
WeiDU.log:

Spoiler

#7 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

It's not the crash that surprises me, I've had my fair share (even now I quicksave before entering Spider's Lair at Cloakwood - somtimes  the whole area needs to be removed from override. How crazy is that?! :blink:  ).

It's the fact that it never happened (for this skeleton) before, regardless of which mods I had installed. I tried fresh install from backup, then full-new install from GoG. Same issue. Bleh. 

And yes, it would crash at High Hedge. I manualy created the skeleton which wields throwing daggers and got a CTD immediately. Edited via NI, remove shield, it works. Guess the shield animation is somehow bugged. But why didn't it happen before?

#8 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

I had that same exact CTD--that was the reason I put the game down for six months in 2012. I don't know why nobody's fixed it in BGT yet. I would crash around High Hedge.

I believe the BGT is not the cause, just a victom of a mod that causes the crash...

I manualy created the skeleton which wields throwing daggers and got a CTD immediately. Edited via NI, remove shield, it works. Guess the shield animation is somehow bugged. But why didn't it happen before?

If the bow is not flagged as two handed item, the script controlling the action of the .cre will try to equip it to the main hand while the shield is equipped. Which causes the crash.

Edited by The Imp, 07 September 2013 - 04:34 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#9 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Well, skeleton in this case is equipped with 2x50 throwing daggers and a shield. Also has a skull for Thalantyr's quest. 

Nothing is wrong with attack animation or I would get CTD when he swings the dagger (had an issue like this with IR+Infinity Animations when attacking with Clubs).

For this skeleton, CTD is immediate as soon as the game loads the creature (so fast in doesn't even show on-screen.) Regardless, removing the shield makes it work.

It's skelets.cre. I also removed extra +50 daggers just to be safe.

Edited by kreso, 07 September 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#10 ancalimohtar

ancalimohtar
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

http://www.shsforums...e-2#entry432823

That's the post that explains it. It was IR's mistake apparently. And since IR/SR never updates their downloads on the G3 downloads page (only puts a "hotfix" in the mod forum, which I think is a rather obscure way to post fixes) you probably didn't get the hotfix?
WeiDU.log:

Spoiler

#11 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

I was sure I did....otherwise I'd always CTD, and it never happened till yesterday. Cool.

#12 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Like the Imp said, you guys should have the crefixer installed to prevent stuff like this from creeping up in huge installs like those :lol:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#13 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

I don't have a huge install, I quit them after being exposed to NTotSC items and the ones from Tristan and Izolde :D . But thanks anyway.

Even ancalimohtar has <30 mods installed.

This fellow has almost 1200 installed. :clap: Incredible.

#14 Izzy

Izzy
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

I don't have a huge install, I quit them after being exposed to NTotSC items and the ones from Tristan and Izolde :D . But thanks anyway.
This fellow has almost 1200 installed. :clap: Incredible.
See the problem with huge installs is that they don't limit themselves to a number of mods, but which mods you install and thus you need to use the proper fixes.... meaning that it's best to just get used to use all the fixers everywhere and go with them... as you then won't need to find the exact fix every cheesed time you get to one that needs it ... not that getting rid of them is not a priority, but there's mods released 13 years ago and some of them have not been updated, so...

PS: This is actually Jarno "The Imp" Mikkola, of his girlfriend account. :P

Ooo, squirells, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!

#15 ancalimohtar

ancalimohtar
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

I don't have a huge install, I quit them after being exposed to NTotSC items and the ones from Tristan and Izolde :D . But thanks anyway.
This fellow has almost 1200 installed. :clap: Incredible.
I feel like there are about 3 major "stages" of modding BG(2).

The first is what I would (and do) recommend to friends interesting in playing for the very first time: BG2 Fixpack, BG2 Tweakpack, Widescreen mod. The second would be what I'm doing (nominally ~30 mods), and the last would be anything with true megamods like BP or NTOSC etc, which I don't honestly have much interest in personally.

Honestly, although my "30 mods" sounds like a lot, it's really not if you break it down:
-3 Fixes (Fixpack, BGTTweakpack, Tweakpack)
-6 Game balance/tactical mods (Item & Spell Revisions, SCS, aTweaks & Rogue Revisions, Refinements)
-3 Restored content mods (UB x 2, Ascension)
-10 NPC mods (2 banter mods, 6 of the highest-quality community NPCs, BG1 NPC Project and music pack)
-Level 1 NPCs so I can play with any NPCs for the content and banter rather than being restricted in my party makeup (Fighter-Thief Minsc!)
-2 support mods that make the rest work (BGT and TobEx)
-2 Graphics mods (Widescreen, Enkida's portrait mod).

What can I really cut out from the above? I feel like this, more or less, should be the "standard' setup if you're replaying the game for the 5th+ time. Ideally, I would like to create a solid, consistent, 99.99% bug-free install with these mods (and 1PP once IR 3.1 is out) that I could just recreate in the future anytime I get the itch to replay BG2--about every 6 months to a year. Try out a new NPC or two per playthrough, and I'm good. So far everything's been good except for the SCS beta and BG2 UB, which was MUCH rougher around the edges than I expected (though Kulyok is being awesome and fixing everyting for v20!)

I do wish that BG2 UB, Ascension, and Refinements would get some love and get updated, especially with the Revisions series and SCS in mind. But I'll be content if these bugs get knocked out.
WeiDU.log:

Spoiler