Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#2961 Vandervecken

Vandervecken
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

How do things work when you use the Beamdog version of SoD with the GoG versions of BGEE and BG2EE?

#2962 Vandervecken

Vandervecken
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

I haven't purchased SoD yet because I don't know who to get it from.  My preference is GoG but if the Beamdog version 'just works' it would be good to know.

In general, do we have folks actively working on BG1EE + SoD + BG2EE BWS compatibility with the new 2.0 upgrade?

I'm itching to get into some multiplayer with the wife but would like the 'mod landscape' to settle first.  Where should I go (which forum and/or thread) to watch the status as folks work through this?

#2963 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

I haven't purchased SoD yet because I don't know who to get it from.  My preference is GoG but if the Beamdog version 'just works' it would be good to know.

In general, do we have folks actively working on BG1EE + SoD + BG2EE BWS compatibility with the new 2.0 upgrade?

I'm itching to get into some multiplayer with the wife but would like the 'mod landscape' to settle first.  Where should I go (which forum and/or thread) to watch the status as folks work through this?

Read

http://gibberlings3....topic=27941&hl=

and

https://forums.beamd...tructure#latest

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#2964 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

Read..

So you can't give an answer ? I don't want to read twenty totally unrelated things that tell me nothing but opinions of posters ...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#2965 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:44 AM

short answer : wait for an official fix :)

#2966 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:50 PM

Or get the Beamdog direct version, which doesn't need a fix. (But you need BGEE from Beamdog direct to get it. (But BGEE is on sale from Beamdog right now IIRC so it's s good time to do this.))

#2967 Utopolyst

Utopolyst
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:43 AM

Scottbrooks over at beamdog seems to have made a merging tool, making mods work with SoD! :clap:

https://forums.beamd...-dltcep-can-use

Now the question is, should this be part of BWS? And how to implement it? Or at least a link on the overview page?

Cheers.

The Picture Standard  - "Go for the Eyes Bo!"

#2968 Davias

Davias
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:23 AM

I have a similar problem like the other user on the last page of the thread. I wanted to install the "recommended version" but  the program keeps telling me it could not install the mod "sword coast stratagems" and "tweaks anthology" because some error

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 61562 of 506-byte file CDPP26.ITM
ERROR: [CDPP26.ITM] -> [override/CDPP26.ITM] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("CDPP26.ITM: read out of bounds"))
ERROR: Failure("CDPP26.ITM: read out of bounds")
Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight (Tweaks Anthology (pre-release)) was not installed due to errors.

If I delete the file in the override folder, another error pops up with "CDPP29.ITM" and so on. And if I wanted to install sword coast stratagems anyway, it won't do it because the missing mod of the tweaks anthology.

I am doing something wrong?

#2969 -ocoini-

-ocoini-

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

Hi

After i've selected mods and installation method, a pop-up comes saying "please start the game, choose the language you like, start and create a savegame.

I do al of these things, but when I click continue, the program closes.

#2970 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:33 AM

After i've selected mods and installation method, a pop-up comes saying "please start the game, choose the language you like, start and create a savegame.

I do al of these things, but when I click continue, the program closes.
Looks like normal behaviour to me. Have you tried to do what it says and then re-launch BWS?

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#2971 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:06 AM

Is the the download in here the latest version of the BWS, or is there another branch whose thread has been erased by the old backup?

#2972 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:58 AM

Is the the download in here the latest version of the BWS, or is there another branch whose thread has been erased by the old backup?
It is the latest. That's the thing with permanent links: they always lead to the latest version no matter what and where is erased :)

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#2973 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:26 PM

Now that the site is back up, I will be resuming my efforts to get BWS back in shape.  Feel free to post reminders about any specific issues or updates desired.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#2974 Goosi

Goosi
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

I'm trying to install BGT for the original games and I keep getting this error when it tries to install Sword Coast Strategems: http://i.imgur.com/yVBOvgh.jpg

I think someone said that it had to do with the Wheels of Prophecy mod and a bugged item but that the fixed version hasn't been released for BWS yet?

#2975 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:02 PM

Goosi, if you are using a custom selection, can you attach or paste in [spoiler ] ... [/spoiler ] tags your BWS selection ini file? I haven't managed to reproduce that error yet in my install attempts. Thanks.

I will be offline for the next 18 hours. Please expect to hear from me again around then.

Edited by agb1, 08 July 2016 - 06:04 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#2976 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

Now that the site is back up, I will be resuming my efforts to get BWS back in shape.  Feel free to post reminders about any specific issues or updates desired.

There's a few questions I'd like at least a semi-official official answer on:

1. Does BWS still support BGEE 1.3 or should we really all upgrade to 2.x?

2. Right now what's the most trouble-free modding environment for BG/BG2 using BWS?  Original versions? EE versions?  BG Trilogy?  Tutu?  Something I don't even know about?  In other words, which environment seems to produce the least issues with the largest number of mods when BWS is used?

3. Are there any tricks that long-time BWS users know to increase the chances of a stable install?  Example: I keep seeing certain errors being attributed to this Wheel of Prophecy mod...but that mod isn't even listed in BWS and I've been using it (or trying to) since late April.  There are way too many things that old-timers know to watch out for which aren't documented.  This makes even automated modding tough for a newb.  I've spent hours and hours reading forums but I just see too many references to unknown things.  I wish I could find someone's guide to successfully installing the most recent version of BWS on any version of BG and BG2 - I don't care which, I'll install it if there's a real chance I could get it modded right.  (I'd be tempted to get into modding IE games myself but what I seen so far looks rather daunting...a lot more involved than any game I've modded before.)

I would love it if someone who has a bug-free BWS installation could post their mod selection along with any details about special steps they took.

As always, many thanks to abg1 and any other BWS contributors for keepin' the dream alive :new_thumbs:

Edited by psycros, 08 July 2016 - 08:24 PM.

#2977 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

3. Are there any tricks that long-time BWS users know to increase the chances of a stable install?  Example: I keep seeing certain errors being attributed to this Wheel of Prophecy mod...but that mod isn't even listed in BWS and I've been using it (or trying to) since late April.  There are way too many things that old-timers know to watch out for which aren't documented.  This makes even automated modding tough for a newb.  I've spent hours and hours reading forums but I just see too many references to unknown things.  I wish I could find someone's guide to successfully installing the most recent version of BWS on any version of BG and BG2 - I don't care which, I'll install it if there's a real chance I could get it modded right.  (I'd be tempted to get into modding IE games myself but what I seen so far looks rather daunting...a lot more involved than any game I've modded before.)

I think you're trying to be a bit too ambitious with your mod selections by trying to get the most 'feature-packed' game. I speak from experience, I always just used to go with a tactical preset and hope for the best in my gameplay (aka pay no attention to what's selected in the rules & tweaks selections, or anything really). During the install process I'd skip any mod that caused errors that wasn't essential. As you might imagine that would of course lead to any number of issues down the path (e.g., a unwinnable hell irenicus battle).

Personally I would just stick with recommended preset and adding some extra mods to your selection, but taking care in doing so. It's very easy for mods to effect your game in unexpected manners and for you to not run into a wall well into your play-through . This is doubly true with BWS not been as updated as it was 6 months ago and bgee v2.xx causing misc issues for people.

As for a tip in installing. Whenever you hit an error that seems to indicate a certain file is in question, I would change-log the file to see what other mods are effecting it. From this you can see which mods might be suspect etc (e.g., is it the newly added mod with little documentation, or the tried n true mod that's been around for years). If a mod is choking on a certain item, maybe the item just needs to be temporarily removed from the override directory to let the mod complete it's install (but of course, it depends on the item & mod in question). See the spoiler below.

I wouldn't mind having a crack at doing a preselection for bg2ee that was somewhere in-between the recommended & tactical presets but having considered it before, it really is quite a bit of work. 

@agb1

Couple of minor things (bg1ee):

- IR & SR components could be looked at. IR #1200 (helmet adjustments) is listed twice, SR main component is at the bottom of the list.

- Eldritch magic (kit mod) version needs to be bumped (see thread) and a description (just use what's in the linked thread?). Can't comment if it still needs to be listed as expert.

- bg2ee error:

Spoiler

Edited by zonx, 08 July 2016 - 11:15 PM.

#2978 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:41 PM

- bg2ee error:
This is due to the fact that you have installed the Wheels of Prophecy mod, which has a completely broken the DW#MELRI.ITM file and the other two items are just copies of the same file. The SCS avoids the original cause it knows that the file is broken and so copies over that file, but not the copies cause it doesn't know that they are it's clones.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#2979 Goosi

Goosi
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:38 AM

Goosi, if you are using a custom selection, can you attach or paste in [spoiler ] ... [/spoiler ] tags your BWS selection ini file? I haven't managed to reproduce that error yet in my install attempts. Thanks.

I will be offline for the next 18 hours. Please expect to hear from me again around then.

I actually used the Recommended selection for BGT: http://i.imgur.com/riy1e6b.jpg

#2980 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:40 AM

I'm still in transit. Will try the BGT recommended selection later today.

I expect that BGT is in better shape than EE right now simply because there have been many changes for EE mods lately and BGT mods are comparatively more stable. One of the things that we have to do to keep BWS up to date is change the BWS ini files when mod components are added or changed in new mod versions.

As for EE 1.3, all I know is that I was successful with a test Recommended install recently on top of the latest 2.x patch, and I have not tried recently on top of 1.3. I am not aware of any issues with 2.x at the moment but users have reported problems with install attempts on 1.3. Therefore, I would recommend upgrading to 2.x.