Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#2741 Februarius

Februarius
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

I downloaded the latest commit, and it won't work. It says ''git not recognized as internal or external command... press any key...'' and then it closes. I downloaded and installed Git, but again the same result. Would you be so kind to clarify?

Regards

#2742 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

If you type "git version" in a command prompt, does it work? Git should be added to your PATH if you installed it and chose that option; BWS expects that now. I accidentally uploaded a version of BiG World Setup.vbs earlier that had the actual launch of BWS commented out. The very latest should be working now..

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#2743 Utopolyst

Utopolyst
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:11 AM

I installed Git 64bit and the BWS doesn't recognize the installation. When I type git version I get 2.7.0.Windows.2 Mmh.. But downloading 30mbit for BWS isn't much.. I mean, we're not in the 90s anymore... :D

The Picture Standard  - "Go for the Eyes Bo!"

#2744 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:03 AM

If you type "git version" in a command prompt, does it work? Git should be added to your PATH if you installed it and chose that option; BWS expects that now. I accidentally uploaded a version of BiG World Setup.vbs earlier that had the actual launch of BWS commented out. The very latest should be working now..

Holy crap, am I reading it right that now to run BWS I will have to download some other soft ("Git") and use command prompt? Are you sure some megabytes of size decrease were worth all this difficulties? :( It's not like it is 2002 anymore, so 100 megs more or less really doesn't matter.

Edited by Creepin, 04 February 2016 - 06:03 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#2745 Utopolyst

Utopolyst
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:27 AM

@Alien & @agb1 Really appreciating all the work you've done with BWS, constantly maintaining it. Kudos!

#2746 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

@Creepin - it looks like ALIEN is working on an update.  My goal is to auto-update every time BWS runs so you only need to download once, but until we are sure it is working, I don't want to add hundreds of MBs to the BWS package in case users need to re-download it manually.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#2747 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:05 AM

I just pushed a temporary update that clarifies the message with the Git download link, advising that you must choose the middle install option labeled 'Use Git from the Windows Command prompt' - all other Git install options can be left to the defaults.  My update also handles the possibility of whitespace in the BWS version, just in case, so I'd recommend using it if you're about to start a new installation.

To clarify more -- the middle install option adds Git to the Windows PATH environment variable, which allows BWS to find it wherever you installed it on your system.  It does not mean that you will need to use the Windows command prompt to use BWS.

Edited by agb1, 04 February 2016 - 07:07 AM.

#2748 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:09 AM

@Alien & @agb1 Really appreciating all the work you've done with BWS, constantly maintaining it. Kudos!

Thanks Uto.  Also, thanks for your PM about the version update for The Picture Standard.  My last update also included updating the version number and file size for TPS.

#2749 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

I made another mistake somehow and uploaded a broken version of BiG World Setup.vbs.  Fixed now.  Sorry for any inconvenience!

More updates:

* Fixed some portrait conflicts that were incorrectly marked as dependencies
* The Picture Standard needs Drizzt Saga 0 ... or 1
* SCS AI and Encounters are again preferred over Big Picture AI and Encounters

The start scripts should be a bit more user-friendly now (they will silently skip the Git commands if Git is not found).

Edited by agb1, 04 February 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#2750 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

Progress!  I converted the auto-update script to a batch script -- this allows me to compare the local BWS version to the remote version and skip the update steps, so BWS will start much faster when there are no updates to download.

* Added conflict rule for Spell Revisions vs. PnP Celestials
* Difficulty and Tweaks mod (former mix mod) is now Recommended and the +200% item stacking components are preferred over the unlimited item stacking tweaks from BG2 Tweaks
* Pre-selection tweaks for BG2 Tweaks and Ding0 Tweaks (mostly components that will be disabled due to conflicts, in case a user selects these mods without the other "preferred" mods)

Also, I've modified the start script for users who don't want automatic updates.  If you delete autoupdate.bat, it will not prompt you to install Git for Windows if you do not have it.

Edited by agb1, 04 February 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#2751 Gay Lord

Gay Lord
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Uto.  Also, thanks for your PM about the version update for The Picture Standard.  My last update also included updating the version number and file size for TPS.

Did you include cover sheets for your TPS reports?

#2752 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

We are too agile for cover sheets.

#2753 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Have you thought about including this in the BWS? There is also a discussion thread here.

#2754 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

Have you thought about including this in the BWS? There is also a discussion thread here.

I wasn't aware of this.  Thank you for the link!  Sentrizeal's Alternate Avatar Pack v1.0 has been added to BWS.

#2755 Utopolyst

Utopolyst
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:45 AM

Here is the fitting Greet.gif until you change it to use png and fit instead of stretch. ;)

Greet.gif?dl=1

#2756 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

Leonardo has requested that the BiG logo be reserved for the Baldur's Gate trilogy.  Can you make it just "Big World Setup" without the colored 'i' and without the capital G?

#2757 Utopolyst

Utopolyst
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:26 AM

There your are, same link as above. For when you get around to change it, here is the png: BWS%20LOGO%204.png?dl=1

Edited by Utopolyst, 07 February 2016 - 12:27 AM.

#2758 Gay Lord

Gay Lord
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:24 AM

Am attempting a new install using latest BWS.

When I tried using version b0e8c5941c06 from yesterday, there were two "unlink" warnings when clicking BWS.vbs, but I didn't copy them, nor did I find any kind of error log.  When activating BWS today, it autoupdated to e8bbde8, but now there are more unlink warnings:

Unlink of file 'BiG World Setup/Tools/Git/bin/git.exe' failed.  Should I try again? (y/n)

Entering ''y" repeats the line, failing every time.  So you have to pick "n".  This gives:

error: unable to unlink old 'BiG World Setup/Tools/Git/bin/git.exe' (Permission denied)

Unlink of file 'BiG World Setup/Tools/Git/bin/libiconv-2.dll' failed.  Should I try again? (y/n)

And "n" gives:

error: unable to unlink old 'BiG World Setup/Tools/Git/bin/libiconv-2.dll' (Permission denied)

error: unable to create file 'BiG World Setup/Tools/Git/libexec/git-core/git-stash' (Permission denied)

Unlink of file 'BiG World Setup/Tools/Git/libexec/git-core/msys-1.0.dll' failed.  Should I try again? (y/n)

n =

error: unable to unlink old 'BiG World Setup/Tools/Git/libexec/git-core/msys-1.0.dll' (Permission denied)

Unlink of file 'BiG World Setup/Tools/Git/libexec/git-core/sh.exe' failed.  Should I try again? (y/n)

n =

error: unable to unlink old 'BiG World Setup/Tools/Git/libexec/git-core/sh.exe' (Permission denied)

Checking out files: 100% (838/838), done.

fatal: Could not reset index file to revision 'HEAD'.

Downloading BWS updates...

Cannot pull with rebase: Your index contains uncommitted changes.

Please commit or stash them.

Merging any local changes...

git: 'stash' is not a git command.  See 'git --help'.

Done with BWS auto-update!

If you see a MERGE CONFLICT above, resolve it if you know how or else use the full update

I don't know if this means I can or cannot proceed with installation.

#2759 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:33 AM

I think you've tripped over a failed attempt to auto-update the auto-update code itself.  Suggest you manually download the latest this time around.

#2760 Gay Lord

Gay Lord
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:36 AM

BG1 QUEST MODS - "Jarl's BGT Adventure Pack" is marked as Expert.  Does this thread contain info to make it compatible?

http://www.shsforums...pack-vs-ntotsc/