Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#4381 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

I want to remove the EXP cap. I'm selecting this option in BWS but it is in red. Is there a better/prefered cap remover?

Tweaks Anthology - Remove Experience Cap

- xp cap >>>I am using these with good experience

[spoiler]EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2002 // Total XP CAP -> Disabled

EET_Tweaks mentions in that 2002 component that using Tweaks Anthology Remove XP Cap component is preferred.

Either way, though, as far as I know there exists a problem, and the reason disabling is 'Red': while Baldur's Gate EE has tables for everything up to 40, it LACKS the HLA tables entirely, meaning super-high levels in BGEE not only won't receive HLAs but also get stuck on the level up screen. I hear pressing enter can bypass that, though, and let you level up anyway.

There is a remarkable difference between removing the XPCAP, and allowing the character to level up as much as they wish, as you can set the level up XP to -1 on the 17th level, and thus also prevent the player ever reaching the required xp. Now, the Tweak Anthology might not do that, because it would need t o check for the ~game_is~ for that, but ... you should notgenerally run into a 20th level character either way that get the HLA's, being that it's about 10 times the total XP you should be getting in BG1, not to say that it can't be done, but... I have not seen the EET Tweaks code, so...

PS, the EET uses the BG2EE's resources, so you won't be overblowing the level cap there, cause the game has all the HLAs in it. Just like the EasyTutu and BGT had. The BG1EE's thing is a different, but the BWS can say the "EET's prefered component" is indeed which ever works in EET

Edited by The Imp, 29 December 2017 - 11:21 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4382 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

That isn't normal in my experience. I've reinstalled variations of EET three times in as many days, did not run into that. 

bws.jpg

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4383 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

Just restored from backup, re-ran and now there is a friendly continue button when I get to that step. In the screenshot above, it looks like the UI painted/scaled weird and you can't see where the button would be below that question mark.

Edited by enderandrew, 29 December 2017 - 12:29 PM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4384 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

Got to where it stopped and asked me to launch the game, make a character and a save. I did. But again the UI was messed up and I couldn't see the continue button. So restore from a backup of the directory and try once again. This time the continue button showed up, but the installer/script just closed down or crashed as soon as I hit continue. From the Weidu log, it certainly wasn't finished. I'm doing an install with about 70 mods (just about everything there is) and Weidu had only installed 27 before shutting down with no obvious error in the log.

Now I get to restore the backup of the directory and try once more.

Attached Files

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4385 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

Got to where it stopped and asked me to launch the game, make a character and a save. I did. But again the UI was messed up and I couldn't see the continue button. So restore from a backup of the directory and try once again. This time the continue button showed up, but the installer/script just closed down or crashed as soon as I hit continue. From the Weidu log, it certainly wasn't finished. I'm doing an install with about 70 mods (just about everything there is) and Weidu had only installed 27 before shutting down with no obvious error in the log.

Don't feel bad. I reinstalled maximum EET three times in three days to make the perfect install.

Join us on the Baldur's Gate Discord @ https://discord.gg/Rp7Cu5k

c2oJYXg.gif

#4386 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

Just to make sure, what you posted was the weidu.log from the EET part that is installed to BGEE prior to EET doing its job. That one looks fine and finished. What is in your BG2EE weidu.log?

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4387 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

BWS stopped in the same place again. There is no weidu log in my BG2EE folder. And it looks like it didn't touch my BG2EE folder.

2IEtJf4.jpg

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4388 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

So I wiped everything, had Steam check the files in BGEE and BG2EE to make sure they are correct, ran modmerge again, downloaded BWS and put it in a new folder and basically started completely fresh again.

But BWS isn't showing me the continue button once again.

wEmZjdy.jpg

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4389 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Your 'BWS' looks nothing like mine, I might add.

image.png

c2oJYXg.gif

#4390 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

That is exactly what my first screen looks like. Your title bar is blue and mine is orange just because of Windows 10 themes.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4391 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

That is exactly what my first screen looks like. Your title bar is blue and mine is orange just because of Windows 10 themes.

I meant the boxes you kept seeing in the window, but never mind.

PS. Avoid 'EET Tweaks component 2070: Party XP for quests is distributed individually' if you prefer a small party. From a quest that normally gives a flat 1,300 XP, with it enabled, each member of my two-person party got 150 XP each. So now I am reinstalling EET for the fourth bloody time. Also removing Item Randomizer because it's bugging me.

Edited by Jenavee, 29 December 2017 - 06:05 PM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4392 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

The app doesn't seem to scale well to being maximized. If I don't have the window maximized, it scales differently. I still keep reproducing the issue however that it will not proceed past asking me to make a save. It crashes in the same place every time.

j8yS542.jpg

Edited by enderandrew, 29 December 2017 - 06:20 PM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4393 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

Faith and Powers and Scales of Balance are disabled even under Tactical. I'm curious why, but I assume there is a reason

Grudges are held.  Don't expect to see my mods as part of any preset anytime soon... :P

Which frankly is silly.  I mean Scales of Balance is a compilation of numerous mods, some big and some small, but mostly unrelated.  As a "for instance" - was the ToBEx component enabling concentration checks to avoid spell failure generally part of the "tactical" preset for BGT installs?  I'm guessing it probably was.  So, you might think the Scales of Balance "Enable Concentration Checks" component would have a similar place in a "tactical" EET install...

#4394 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

Faith and Powers and Scales of Balance are disabled even under Tactical. I'm curious why, but I assume there is a reason

Grudges are held.  Don't expect to see my mods as part of any preset anytime soon... :P

Which frankly is silly.  I mean Scales of Balance is a compilation of numerous mods, some big and some small, but mostly unrelated.  As a "for instance" - was the ToBEx component enabling concentration checks to avoid spell failure generally part of the "tactical" preset for BGT installs?  I'm guessing it probably was.  So, you might think the Scales of Balance "Enable Concentration Checks" component would have a similar place in a "tactical" EET install...

The phrase *disabled* was wrong in that statement. Fact is that most mods are currently not *pre-selected* for any option in BWS-EET. This is not discriminating any single modder or mod category but goes across nearly everything except some basic *almost-canon* mods like UB or BG1NPCs.

There is no such thing as  "a "tactical" EET install...".  (Just like there is no *recommended EET install etc)

The thing with BWS at this moment is that the program itself is no longer maintained and therefore cannot be changed. So even in EET there are buttons/options that say *tactical* or *recommended* etc since those a defined on a general basis.

For BGT those have been established over years of experience from a large numbers of players and contributors.

For EET those selections are actually meaningless. Except for some basic mods, most mods (including Big contents mods, NPCs, Tweaks, GUI and spell/item mods) are unselected for what ever you may chose. Except for *maximum*, none of those choices are really meaningful in EET.

Especially for tactical it would not be wise to just copy BGT, as the SoD as part of any EET install already requires different considerations.

At this time BWS-EET handles known dependencies and conflicts but has no real selections for the various install categories. It means you need to spend more time to create your own game selection for which ALL mods are available.

Of course this can lead to misunderstandings if you come from BGT and expect similar BWS support for EET like having the old four install categories with their mod selections ready on a click. If ever, such a status for EET is still in the future.

This is not obvious from the BWS GUI!! Since that GUI cannot be changed, this is the big dilemma and the source of this discussion. Currently the fact is that you can either have this tool for EET or none. Unless some maintainer for BWS jumps up.

PS - is anybody aware of reports that someone did a full successful *tactical* or *recommended* playthrough of EET? I have been through EET now several times in full with installations that *work* and are nearly bug-free, but due to the fact that my mod selections are completely insividual taste, I cannot use those as baselines for anything except *Roxanne's collection* and I doubt that this will match any second person's taste. So what?

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4395 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

I simply can't get this to work. I've tried different combinations of mods. I've tried with and without the beta 2.5 patch for the EE games. I'm installing outside of Program Files, running the installer script as an admin and I have UAC disabled. It seems to die right after it is finished with the BG1 mods and before it moves on to do the actual EET install. Does anyone have advice on how to fix this?

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4396 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

@Roxanne that's interesting. Frankly, I think it's a step in the right direction to move away from those BGT-style curated pre-selections, and instead just present the player with a bare list of all mods and let them choose what they want.

What I've discussed with ALIEN elsewhere is the possibility that BWS (or some future cross-platform replacement) could simply read Weidu.log files, and from them generate a pre-selection in BWS. That way any player could, after a successful and bug-free game, simply post their Weidu.log and say "this worked well!" and then other players would find it easy to recreate that bug-free experience.

#4397 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

I simply can't get this to work. I've tried different combinations of mods. I've tried with and without the beta 2.5 patch for the EE games. I'm installing outside of Program Files, running the installer script as an admin and I have UAC disabled. It seems to die right after it is finished with the BG1 mods and before it moves on to do the actual EET install. Does anyone have advice on how to fix this?

From the sounds of it, you seem to be doing it mostly right. Personally, I'm using v2.3.67.3(A) versions of BG EE / BG SoD EE / BG2 EE from https://www.GoG.com/, running the latest BWS from https://bitbucket.or...p/bigworldsetup, and it's working out fine for me. My install path is C:\BGT-EE\BG-EE and C:\BGT-EE\BGII-EE, with my BiG World at C:\BGT-EE\BigWorldSetup-bigworldsetup-a9f25498e18e.

@Roxanne that's interesting. Frankly, I think it's a step in the right direction to move away from those BGT-style curated pre-selections, and instead just present the player with a bare list of all mods and let them choose what they want.

What I've discussed with ALIEN elsewhere is the possibility that BWS (or some future cross-platform replacement) could simply read Weidu.log files, and from them generate a pre-selection in BWS. That way any player could, after a successful and bug-free game, simply post their Weidu.log and say "this worked well!" and then other players would find it easy to recreate that bug-free experience.

Why not simply have folks export and upload their BWS-Selection.ini if their install selection works for them from start to finish? That's how I build a working install: I choose, say, Maximized, then tweak to my liking, save+export it, then try to install it. If something goes wrong during or after the install, I import my selection, edit it to fix the issue(s), save and export it again, and then install it. Repeat ad infinitum until happy.

Speaking of, I'm now on my fifth install / variant of EET in four days due compatibility testing / various 'features' I didn't like in the maximized install.

Edited by Jenavee, 30 December 2017 - 10:11 AM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4398 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

From the sounds of it, you seem to be doing it mostly right. Personally, I'm using v2.3.67.3(A) versions of BG EE / BG SoD EE / BG2 EE from https://www.GoG.com/, running the latest BWS from https://bitbucket.or...p/bigworldsetup, and it's working out fine for me. My install path is C:\BGT-EE\BG-EE and C:\BGT-EE\BGII-EE, with my BiG World at C:\BGT-EE\BigWorldSetup-bigworldsetup-a9f25498e18e.

I downloaded BWS from bitbucket to get the latest build from master. Every time I launch it, I use the "update" link, and it actually just updated to see there is a new wildmage link.

I assume it must be the combination of mods. I'm trying to run pretty much all the quest/content mods. I'm trying an install just with the "recommended" preset, which skips most of the quest mods now to see if that works. If so, I'll slowly add in certain mods and keep trying the install until I can figure out which one or which combo breaks it. If anyone has an idea of where to start with on testing as far as one that might be at the very end of the BG1 mods, or right after it prompts me to create a save that might cause the break point that might cut down some troubleshooting time.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4399 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

I downloaded BWS from bitbucket to get the latest build from master. Every time I launch it, I use the "update" link, and it actually just updated to see there is a new wildmage link.

I assume it must be the combination of mods. I'm trying to run pretty much all the quest/content mods. I'm trying an install just with the "recommended" preset, which skips most of the quest mods now to see if that works. If so, I'll slowly add in certain mods and keep trying the install until I can figure out which one or which combo breaks it. If anyone has an idea of where to start with on testing as far as one that might be at the very end of the BG1 mods, or right after it prompts me to create a save that might cause the break point that might cut down some troubleshooting time.

...I haven't tried an unaltered Recommended install yet, but I've installed Maximum several times now without altering its preset quest / big quest / mini quest mods.

Also, you should absolutely be keeping and restoring backups of BG/BG2 each time you attempt an install - the BWP supports this and will ask you in two places to restore each one.

Check out my tweaked Maximum selection here, which so far is proving fully capable of installing from start to finish. Perhaps edit that and see what breaks. You can import it on the mod selection screen.

Attached Files

Edited by Jenavee, 30 December 2017 - 10:27 AM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4400 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

Also, you should absolutely be keeping and restoring backups of BG/BG2 each time you attempt an install - the BWP supports this and will ask you in two places to restore each one.

Every time I run BWS, I'm restoring a fresh copy of the game unaltered from my Steam folder. I don't use BWS to make an additional backup because that is redundant.

I'll take a look at your tweaked Maximum set-up compared to what I was running before to see what is different. That might help narrow down if there is a problem mod.

Edit: Even with a non-tweaked "Recommended" pre-set, which is very few mods, it crashes at the very same point. The only thing I can think of at this point is that I'm in the Windows 10 Insider Program, so I get early builds of the next Windows 10 updates and maybe something is slightly different with my computer that the BWS scripts just don't like. I might try running BWS on my work laptop to test there as well.

Edited by enderandrew, 30 December 2017 - 10:37 AM.

Nihilism makes me smile.