Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#5061 Caserius Tendook

Caserius Tendook
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

Just to show off my total ignorance of things sometimes, what would you use BWS for besides an EET Install?  Mind you, I'm just a goofy old school player who has to have his hand held by you wonderful people just to install Mods and play the worlds best RPG, but I only looked at using BWS for an EET install which I accomplished.  Would you use the BWS to maybe play the Tutu or BGT "brands" of mods to go with?  Again I'm sure my ignorance shines through as I only have very vague ideas of what BGT and T

#5062 Jakar

Jakar
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

The reason i install BWS with biffing is that i do that on virtualbox/another computer and then transfer it to my linux system. It's painfull to watch copying of tens of thousands files from override for many hours. With biffing it takes about 10-15 mins to copy.

Hours to copy a couple thousand files? I suggest:
- Make your game folder a shared folder in VirtualBox, so you don't need to copy/transfer anything from inside the slow virtualized OS
- Invest in solid state drive(s)

Unfortunately the latter is not cheap. :(

oook. it's not a problem to install a game in shared folder. i keep there BWS Downloads already. thank's - it's a good idea. i still couldn't believe, that biffing could be bad for a game. it was very comfortable to transfer a compressed game to another pc. for example, to my sons computer, so we could play it on network. now it would take more time to prepare for a game. 

#5063 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

oook. it's not a problem to install a game in shared folder. i keep there BWS Downloads already. thank's - it's a good idea. i still couldn't believe, that biffing could be bad for a game. it was very comfortable to transfer a compressed game to another pc. for example, to my sons computer, so we could play it on network. now it would take more time to prepare for a game. 

The experience I made with biffing in BG2EE was with the new file formats that were added with EE. Especially with those graphic files that use the PVRZ format. It appeared that those files are associated with their *master* TIS, MOS, etc by file names. After biffing, those associations no longer worked. There were also issues with other new file formats.

I have to admit that I never again looked into this issue since the early days of the EE because the main advantage of biffing (the performance issue of large modded games) was never needed for EE-games. I have never considered the use of biffing for other use like file transfer. So sorry for my narrow minded view.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#5064 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

Just to show off my total ignorance of things sometimes, what would you use BWS for besides an EET Install?  Mind you, I'm just a goofy old school player who has to have his hand held by you wonderful people just to install Mods and play the worlds best RPG, but I only looked at using BWS for an EET install which I accomplished.  Would you use the BWS to maybe play the Tutu or BGT "brands" of mods to go with?  Again I'm sure my ignorance shines through as I only have very vague ideas of what BGT and T

BWS currently supports

- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (standalone game)
- Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (standalone game)
- Enhanced Edition Trilogy ( BG1:EE + SoD + BG2:EE ) (planned: IWD1:EE + partial IWD2-in-EET)
- Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition
- Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

It also has supported the classic versions of those games in the past - but due to missing maintenance the older collections have become usable by dedicated experts only (or unusable for the average player, however you want to phrase it).

The Sandrah Saga

#5065 Hack'N'Slash

Hack'N'Slash
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Roxanne - it's the Wings mod. https://forums.beamd...ersion-0-91b/p1

#5066 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:01 PM

Roxanne - it's the Wings mod. https://forums.beamd...ersion-0-91b/p1

This is a modder who still works on his stuff, slowly but...

Maybe you can encourage him a bit?

The Sandrah Saga

#5067 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

So has this been worked out yet?

Mod: Item Randomiser
Component: Prevent Watcher's Keep statues from disappearing (in case randomisation gave them something)

Because I am getting the same error. Could just skip it safely probably and just enter Watcher's Keep at late levels, but BWS insists I include it in Randomiser-installs, so perhaps it's more important than that?

"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#5068 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:59 AM

So has this been worked out yet?

Mod: Item Randomiser
Component: Prevent Watcher's Keep statues from disappearing (in case randomisation gave them something)

Because I am getting the same error. Could just skip it safely probably and just enter Watcher's Keep at late levels, but BWS insists I include it in Randomiser-installs, so perhaps it's more important than that?

BWS *insists* on this Prevent Watcher's Keep statues from disappearing in case items were randomly placed on them by this mod=DW:randomiser(-):randomiser(10300)

If you use main component you need the WK component. This comes right out of the mod itself and is not a BWS invention. I assume it is because unique items may otherwise vanish from the game if the statues have them.

The Sandrah Saga

#5069 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Yes, but I'm saying that BWS skips this component during install, just like it did for enderandrew. Maybe I should have included the whole quote (from page 253): 

So I just tried an install of most everything available in BWS currently on the 2.5 beta. The following four failed:

Mod: Might and Guile
Component: Add Multiclass Kits
Component: The Feat System (for Warriors and Rogues, requires EE 2.0+, includes Revised Stalker and Shadowdancer, disables Scout kit)

Mod: Item Randomiser

Mod: EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) Tweaks
Component: NPC voices

Mod: Sandrah Saga I - Sandrah Appears
Component: Sandrah EET additions

Of those, Might and Guile seems to conflct when installed with other mods adding kits. I will try to look through and see what the conflict is. The Item Randomizer component outright said some other mod apparently already provided that tweak. I'm not sure why NPC Voices failed in EET Tweaks and will have to look at the log file. The Sandrah failure I think I've seen before. If it thinks Might and Guile is installed, but it isn't really, that causes problems. I don't need Might and Guile. I'm just testing these literally for the sake of testing them. I'll try a new install in a bit.

You replied to the Sandrah and Might and Guile part - but I couldn't find an answer to the Randomiser-part. If another mod really does provide the tweak, I dunno which one it'd be :)

Edited by Grunker, 07 April 2018 - 09:05 AM.

"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#5070 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Yes, but I'm saying that BWS skips this component during install, just like it did for enderandrew. Maybe I should have included the whole quote (from page 253): 

So I just tried an install of most everything available in BWS currently on the 2.5 beta. The following four failed:

Mod: Might and Guile
Component: Add Multiclass Kits
Component: The Feat System (for Warriors and Rogues, requires EE 2.0+, includes Revised Stalker and Shadowdancer, disables Scout kit)

Mod: Item Randomiser

Mod: EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) Tweaks
Component: NPC voices

Mod: Sandrah Saga I - Sandrah Appears
Component: Sandrah EET additions

Of those, Might and Guile seems to conflct when installed with other mods adding kits. I will try to look through and see what the conflict is. The Item Randomizer component outright said some other mod apparently already provided that tweak. I'm not sure why NPC Voices failed in EET Tweaks and will have to look at the log file. The Sandrah failure I think I've seen before. If it thinks Might and Guile is installed, but it isn't really, that causes problems. I don't need Might and Guile. I'm just testing these literally for the sake of testing them. I'll try a new install in a bit.

You replied to the Sandrah and Might and Guile part - but I couldn't find an answer to the Randomiser-part. If another mod really does provide the tweak, I dunno which one it'd be :)

I suggest the following:

- check if this file exists in your BG2EE/override folder dw#spawns.mrk

- if yes, the skipping was done by the mod itself, not by BWS and it is expected

- if no, we did one level deeper.

The Sandrah Saga

#5071 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

If another mod really does provide the tweak, I dunno which one it'd be :)
I was never able to figure that out and always have that failure in a heavily modded install, even if I removed anything else that I thought touched Watcher's Keep.

BTW, I've played BG1 a few times but amazingly enough never played BG2. I started a BGT run a few years ago with a bunch of mods, but it became apparently near the end of BG1 that the install had a bunch of bugs.

I've been waiting to get it another go with an EET install to not only finally play BG2, but also the best community content. In my latest install of most everything under the sun, the only failure reported by BTS was still same Watcher's Keep tweak that was skipped. So I'm actually starting my play-through to test things out.

I ran into Braegar in Candlekeep. The NPC dialogue is in English, but the journal entries are in German. This may have nothing to do with BWS, as it appears to be a mod designed primarily in German to begin with and the English localization may have skipped over the journal entries.

I installed IEP, Chatty Imoen, Imoen Friendship, Imoen Romance, etc. I have no idea if I'm going to romance any NPCs but I installed most everything to expose potential conflicts. Imoen's dialogue is clearly hosed from the start. She is calling me Husband right after Gorion dies. She is commenting on Khalid and Jaheira's behavior before they ever join the party. When talking to NPCs, she is often interjecting with observations that seem to be out of place. I notice that Chatty Imoen is now red and I don't think it was before. I don't know if this can be fixed or if her dialogue is hosed in this playthrough.

As I play, I'll note anything that appears to be broken to help narrow down potential mod conflicts.

Edited by enderandrew, 07 April 2018 - 07:32 PM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#5072 Hack'N'Slash

Hack'N'Slash
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

Think you'll find with Breagar that there's still a lot of dialog that hasn't been translated. I know that the journals haven't been translated nor the weapons and kit/class description.

#5073 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

If another mod really does provide the tweak, I dunno which one it'd be :)
I was never able to figure that out and always have that failure in a heavily modded install, even if I removed anything else that I thought touched Watcher's Keep.

BTW, I've played BG1 a few times but amazingly enough never played BG2. I started a BGT run a few years ago with a bunch of mods, but it became apparently near the end of BG1 that the install had a bunch of bugs.

I've been waiting to get it another go with an EET install to not only finally play BG2, but also the best community content. In my latest install of most everything under the sun, the only failure reported by BTS was still same Watcher's Keep tweak that was skipped. So I'm actually starting my play-through to test things out.

I ran into Braegar in Candlekeep. The NPC dialogue is in English, but the journal entries are in German. This may have nothing to do with BWS, as it appears to be a mod designed primarily in German to begin with and the English localization may have skipped over the journal entries.

I installed IEP, Chatty Imoen, Imoen Friendship, Imoen Romance, etc. I have no idea if I'm going to romance any NPCs but I installed most everything to expose potential conflicts. Imoen's dialogue is clearly hosed from the start. She is calling me Husband right after Gorion dies. She is commenting on Khalid and Jaheira's behavior before they ever join the party. When talking to NPCs, she is often interjecting with observations that seem to be out of place. I notice that Chatty Imoen is now red and I don't think it was before. I don't know if this can be fixed or if her dialogue is hosed in this playthrough.

As I play, I'll note anything that appears to be broken to help narrow down potential mod conflicts.

- The Breagar issue is work in progress, the translation from German is still ongoing.

- Do you have an example for the Imoen issue? I am not sure that it is caused by *Chatty Imoen*, because the mod works with sound files rather than adding *conventional* dialogue to Imoen:

This component adds Imoen to the INTERACT.2DA file, which controls the "non-dialog" banters that BG1 NPCs have. This component requires the Expanded Character Sounds component, otherwise Imoen will have nothing to say.

Also, this component gives Imoen a specific reaction to Garrick's death (no other NPC does).

The Sandrah Saga

#5074 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

- Do you have an example for the Imoen issue? I am not sure that it is caused by *Chatty Imoen*, because the mod works with sound files rather than adding *conventional* dialogue to Imoen:
I'll try to get a more specific example next time it appears she is saying the wrong thing. There are no doubt a lot of mods that touch her dialogue so I'm not sure where the conflict is coming from.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#5075 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:13 PM

I found a recent example. I'm in Beregost. I just met Garrick who took me to meet Silke and Imoen chimes in with:

"Your babbling about Helm is tiresome! I won't listen anymore."

Except no one was talking about Helm.

The other thing is that early in Candledeep I got a prompt in conversation with her asking if I wanted her to be a Mage, a Thief or both. I said just Thief. But her class is Thief/Mage, except she can't memorize any spells.

Edited by enderandrew, 08 April 2018 - 10:14 PM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#5076 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:22 PM

I found a recent example. I'm in Beregost. I just met Garrick who took me to meet Silke and Imoen chimes in with:

"Your babbling about Helm is tiresome! I won't listen anymore."

Except no one was talking about Helm.

The other thing is that early in Candledeep I got a prompt in conversation with her asking if I wanted her to be a Mage, a Thief or both. I said just Thief. But her class is Thief/Mage, except she can't memorize any spells.

1) This line "Your babbling about Helm is tiresome! I won't listen anymore." strangely enough in my game is not even Imoen's dialogue. It is a response option for the PC in a conversation with Ajantis. It is added by a mod using

X#AjantisRomanceHelmGod.

It looks like either something was messed up in your install or some other mod that I have not installed uses exactly the same line for Imoen?

2) The dialogue with Imoen about class choice is from the Sandrah mod but it affects only the other two choices that involve mage.

If you selected thief, then this global

C:GetGlobal("Imoenclasschoice","GLOBAL") should be 1

and the original Imoen aka Imoen1.cre is the one to join you outside Candlekeep. Selecting *thief* in that dialogue actually means that the Sandrah mod does not change Imoen but spawns the default. If that creature has been altered by whatever other mod you have installed, you get that version. If the global thus is at 1, you can check if you really have Imoen1.cre with you and which mod may have changed her.

Otherwise, the conversation and her current class would not be related even if at first glance it may appear that way.

PS

regarding 1)

Look at AjantisJ.dlg in Near Infinity. Search for a state that contains

~During the Time of Troubles, Helm did nothing but his duty, my lady.~

Check which response options you see and what their StrRef's are.

Do you have other weird text issues? It may be that some StrRef's are scrambled in your install.

Edited by Roxanne, 08 April 2018 - 11:32 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#5077 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:35 AM

Hi @Roxanne, sorry for the late reply. For unrelated reasons I had to do a re-install. The same prompt came up, however, claiming the component to be redundant. I check if dw#spawns.mrk was in my BG2EE /override folder, and indeed it was. So apparantly something is taking care of it I guess? :)

- Yahtzee

#5078 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:41 AM

Hi @Roxanne, sorry for the late reply. For unrelated reasons I had to do a re-install. The same prompt came up, however, claiming the component to be redundant. I check if dw#spawns.mrk was in my BG2EE /override folder, and indeed it was. So apparantly something is taking care of it I guess? :)

Yes, the mod itself automatically checks if the function was successfully installed already and skips it.

The function of the mrk file is exactly that - a mark for other mods to know that it is there. (A bit of an old fashioned way to do it but it is working, so what.)

Edited by Roxanne, 09 April 2018 - 06:43 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#5079 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

Btw, thanks a billion for keeping this thing updated  :new_thumbs:

- Yahtzee

#5080 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:21 AM

Help/Feedback needed

I am currently running tests for a streamlined version of old BWS to overcome many known recent issues of the aged tool, so it may survive for a bit longer.

I make the following observation regarding mods hosted on github:

Download of many (especially large) mods can take some time if they are all hosted in the same user's repositories.

I take the mods hosted by myself on github as an example (about 30 mods) - it looks like even though BWS can download parallel files (up to 5) this narrows down to a single one if they are hosted at the same address. This way bunching of mods at a single point e.g. https://github.com/RoxanneSHS or https://github.com/BiGWorldProject (just naming the ones I know personally) may lead to bottleneck effects.

Does anyone have similar experience or - even better - some technical insight that my assumption is false or correct?

If true, it is not a real problem but It may become a bit of a nuisance since the tool downloads github-hosted mods linked to the master branch anew  every time since it cannot verify the update status.

Unless that can be overcome, I still would argue that to have stable reliable download links has priority over speed, but that is just my personal view.

Edited by Roxanne, 11 April 2018 - 01:26 AM.

The Sandrah Saga