Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#5141 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

Actually I just noticed that there is a part of the BWP Fixpack that fails and it tried to replace the section The Imp is talking about.

I put the .rej file in spoiler here

Spoiler

So why did this fail? And what can I do to install this mod now?

#5142 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

The patch is for Version 11, not 12. Also the mod is not set to be "EET compatible". As that needs the + ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~eet~ BEGIN ... portion. So... this needs to be tweaked in BWS, by Roxanne, ALIEN or others. Now you might not intend to install the EET, but the fact that the Fix fails reflects that there is problems.

Edited by The Imp, 18 April 2018 - 08:44 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5143 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

But I am doing a manual install on BGT currently not EET. The mod just wont install and I think it's because that fix in the fixpack fails. So maybe fixpack could be updated for to v12?

#5144 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

But I am doing a manual install on BGT currently not EET. The mod just wont install and I think it's because that fix in the fixpack fails. So maybe fixpack could be updated for to v12?

You are right. The EET fix was for V11. The mod has updated to v12 but without making it EET compatible.The fix no longer works and the mod v12 is not usable for EET anymore.

This is the author's or maintainer's decision. EET compatibility fixes were an interim solution and only valid for the mod version they targeted. A mod update will either contain its own compatibility changes or reject it. It is not for fixpack to overrule the mod owner's decision in this..

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#5145 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

Roxanne: Fine, but how do I install the mod now? After looking more in the fixpack it seems it deletes the file handle_charsets.tpa and then fails to change the code to make stuff work after this. Is that a right observation?

If so, can I just restore the handle_charsets.tpa file from the mod archive and it will work? Or is it best if I altogether revert the mod (delete and extract it again) to get rid of the stuff fixpack has done?

#5146 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

Roxanne: Fine, but how do I install the mod now? After looking more in the fixpack it seems it deletes the file handle_charsets.tpa and then fails to change the code to make stuff work after this. Is that a right observation?

If so, can I just restore the handle_charsets.tpa file from the mod archive and it will work? Or is it best if I altogether revert the mod (delete and extract it again) to get rid of the stuff fixpack has done?

Delete it and try to use the unmolested v12. You probably would need to open the mod.tp2 and look for GAME_IS to add EET after the BG2EE. If the mod works in EET or not is something to be seen.

Or ask the mod forum about it.

The Sandrah Saga

#5147 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

Thanks but I'm not trying to install on EET. Just BGT. And if I put it in unmolested is there not fixes I am missing? I mean 3 fixes out of 4 are applied successfully and It doesn't look like everything is EET related.

#5148 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:37 AM

Never mind they actually do seem to be only EET related so I'll just delete it.

#5149 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

Never mind they actually do seem to be only EET related so I'll just delete it.

Thank you anyway for the information.

We can remove the mod from fixpack and from EET compilations so others have no trouble with it.

The Sandrah Saga

#5150 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

I can also report that Back to Brynlaw also has this exact problem. handle_charset is removed by fixpack then the patch fails and the mod no longer installs. I will keep reporting this as I find them.

Actually currently I'm looking into a similar problem with Reunion and it seems to have the same issue as well. Is there a reason though why there are a couple of worldmap files being copied into it from the fixpack? I don't understand what they do. Does anybody know?

#5151 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

I can also report that Back to Brynlaw also has this exact problem. handle_charset is removed by fixpack then the patch fails and the mod no longer installs. I will keep reporting this as I find them.

Actually currently I'm looking into a similar problem with Reunion and it seems to have the same issue as well. Is there a reason though why there are a couple of worldmap files being copied into it from the fixpack? I don't understand what they do. Does anybody know?

Since you are using BWS for BGT, you surely have noticed that this is outdated completely?

The Sandrah Saga

#5152 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:41 AM

I'm not using BWS I'm installing by hand. I don't trust a tool to do this. It's not as much work as I would have imagined just these few messes with the fixpack.

I can also report that the fixpack molests pretty badly the mod iepbanters (latest 5.4 version from lava). I think the fixes there can be removed also.

And if there is information about the worldmap files in the Reunion fixes - someone explain - because if they regard EET then they can be removed as well because that part in the tp2 already fails anyway.

#5153 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

I'm not using BWS I'm installing by hand. I don't trust a tool to do this. It's not as much work as I would have imagined just these few messes with the fixpack.

I can also report that the fixpack molests pretty badly the mod iepbanters (latest 5.4 version from lava). I think the fixes there can be removed also.

And if there is information about the worldmap files in the Reunion fixes - someone explain - because if they regard EET then they can be removed as well because that part in the tp2 already fails anyway.

Apologies, I was so foolish to assume you use BWS because you post your reports in the BWS thread.

The Sandrah Saga

#5154 Caserius Tendook

Caserius Tendook
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Since you are using BWS for BGT, you surely have noticed that this is outdated completely?

Speaking of this (for my own Continuing Education) is it safe to assume that I can still install a BGT game, just doing it manually instead of through BWS?

I'm assuming BGT was at a "final" stage when people started moving over to EET, so it can still be played if installed manually right?

I was not in the loop when BGT was the in thing so I never used it.

And thanks again to everyone for the insights and knowledge.  I might just learn enough to make a mod at some point!

#5155 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:58 AM

Yes very foolish :ermm:

#5156 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

Speaking of this (for my own Continuing Education) is it safe to assume that I can still install a BGT game, just doing it manually instead of through BWS?

I'm assuming BGT was at a "final" stage when people started moving over to EET, so it can still be played if installed manually right?

And thanks again to everyone for the insights and knowledge.  I might just learn enough to make a mod at some point!

BGT is fully functional since the underlying games have never changed. It works with the classic BG editions.

Individual mods may have been neglected/abandoned etc over time, so maybe not all the several hundred mods there once existed are still usable today - but you could never install ALL mods anyway due to conflicts.

If you are interested in installing a BGT game manually, search for BWP around here.

The Sandrah Saga

#5157 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:00 PM

Ya BGT is very stable. Manually installing mods on it is a perfectly viable strategy.

#5158 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:05 PM

Ya BGT is very stable. Manually installing mods on it is a perfectly viable strategy.

Just to be precise:

BGT is just one single mod. In a similar way to EET, this mod imports the BG1 resources into BG2 and allows you to play the game as one. It is often used synonymous to a big modded game on the basis of having the games put together by BGT. The resulting installation is often referred to as BiG World (large second G intended)

Edited by Roxanne, 18 April 2018 - 12:07 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#5159 Caserius Tendook

Caserius Tendook
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

BGT is fully functional since the underlying games have never changed. It works with the classic BG editions.

Individual mods may have been neglected/abandoned etc over time, so maybe not all the several hundred mods there once existed are still usable today - but you could never install ALL mods anyway due to conflicts.

If you are interested in installing a BGT game manually, search for BWP around here.

Perfect.  I'm learning that I will be much more discriminatory with what mods I include, and spend more time here (and G3) researching those mods before I get started with an install.  From what I have read about BGT, it sounds like it would be fun to run through it and just get a different perspective of how the games played as One Big game originally, and then still enjoy my current EET project.

And this is what makes me think I would like to give BGT a run too.  BWS is a great tool, but I would like to practice manual installations on a very limited scope of what I add for mods, so doing so manually sounds like fun actually.  I can download and install BGT and then add the mods I want, I will just go find the BGT info around here and research it so I have an idea of what and how to install.  Thanks again, everybody.

#5160 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:30 PM

Caserius Tendook: Since I'm currently making a manual install on BGT I can give some insights as well. It's really not that difficult as you would imagine and you do learn a lot on the way about the mods and all that. I actually think it's better to install by hand because then you know exactly what is happening and you can make sure everything works. And yes BGT is very stable. That's a good thing of it being old - most issues are ironed out by now. Enhanced Editions are more modern but they are still evolving. And BGT gives that classic feel as well :-). And a plus is that it can be made portable too (with Aliens Infinity Engine Launcher). And it has TobEx.