Icewind Dale II

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Any chance this will ever make it into the Big World installer? I mean, while most (rules, kits) mods would obviously not work with it, adding an option to install it with whatever would be adaptable would be pretty awesome.

http://weidu.org/iwg...weidu.org/iwg2/

#2 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well, I guess I should have linked the Delta version...

http://www.shsforums...ttach&tid=34232

#3 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Erhm, no Cheesing way... you do know the IWG makes the BG2 game to the IWD2's engine... and it doesn't work well with itself, let alone the other 400 mods...

Same can be said about the Classic Adventure. They can't really be included... into BWP.

PS: the BWS actually features the IWD2, as different install setup..

But of course I am not saying that it can't be made into a special compilation in BWS, and while at it the BG2 Classic Adventures could be added as well, a Tutu install, and even more... but that would need experts of their builds... and testing, and someone capable of adding in new compilations, and functions.

Edited by The Imp, 17 September 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4 coineineagh

coineineagh
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

:lol2: Hey, the old IWG2 delta that I got from Min Wu! To be honest, I tried it myself, but all the chinese text got in the way of item descriptions and journal entries.

I've heard others say they didn't care about it, and kept playing the delta. It has completed the Throne of Bhaal portion, which the beta only has a few maps from. Still, I prefer the old beta over the delta myself.

This is my latest version of IWD2_4dummies, if you want to try out BG2 in IWD2 engine.

Here's a comprehensive link-list of all IWD2 mods, which run with IWG2.

To answer your question: IWD2 is coded very differently from BG2, so it's not quite so east to import the whole adventure into that engine. You definitely can't use any BG2 mods in IWG2, because the IWG2 conversion is very specific. It will ONLY convert BG2 if it's exactly as specified (basic install + baldurdash). And since the game is then played from the IWD2 folder, installing any BG2 mods afterwards would change nothing.

#5 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

So...basically only IWD2 mods would apply? That rather limits the selection...

So overall, it seems rather unlikely, pity, for I would have loved to try a different take, I mean, there's only so often I can play through the same game, right? I mean, even with all the mods and stuff, after like 20 playthro- well, almost playthroughs it does get kinda repetitive...oh well, it's not as if I let such a minor inconvenience stop me in the past...

#6 coineineagh

coineineagh
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

Oh, but the gameplay is completely different! Imagine all the sequencer spells being replaced by things like summons.

IWD2 is a magic-heavy game in itself, meaning enemies are predominantly non-mages, and they rarely cast dispel magic on you, making it worthwhile to cast long-lasting buff spells. BG2 is quite the opposite, making it much easier for non-mage parties. Any buffs would get dispelled after taking 2 steps in BG2 - not so in IWD2. IWG2 is a mix of the 2 - the powerful buffs are available from IWD2, but the dispelling BG2 mages will pounce at you everywhere. It was an exciting playthrough for me, at least.

Different magic, different rulesets - tbh I also wish I could play the megamod with IWD2 engine.