Missed a step in Adding a voice to NPC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 -Xavioria-

-Xavioria-

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

So I finally got a voice actress for my mod, and I'm trying to expand it, but I must be missing an important step in the process.

I did follow the tutorial, as I have never added a voice to anything before, this IS my first mod, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong, if anyone wouldn't mind helping me, I would be very grateful

I added a line to one of the .d files where you initially meet the NPC, added it in brackets as it was noted in the tutorial, created the proper file in .wav format. It was properly put in the override folder as indicated. However, in game, it just plays the default voice that comes with the game which i think is Female3. This IS in BG EE so if there's a step I'm missing, please let me know. 

Thanks for the help

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:07 AM

I would suggest that you post both the .tp2 code and the .d files code....

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -Xavioria-

-Xavioria-

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

Here's what my tp2 file looks like, it's pretty simple:

BACKUP ~Margarita/backup~
AUTHOR ~Xavioria (rlbecker11@yahoo.com)~
BEGIN ~Margarita for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition~

// This adds Margarita herself to the game

COPY ~Margarita/SoundsMargarita~ ~Override~
COPY ~Margarita/RL#MARG.cre~ ~Override/RL#MARG.cre~
SAY NAME1 ~Margarita~
SAY NAME2 ~Margarita~

// Margarita's Biography

SAY BIO ~When asked about her past, MARGARITA becomes defensive and fidgety. She mentions nameless people and countless places that seem to make her either older than she seems or somewhat loony. The Halfling does seem to mention one thing consistently, and that would be her trade as a courier. You find that after some more prodding, Margarita is constantly trying to shift the subject to something more neutral; implyng that something horrific may have happened in her past, or she's deliberately hiding something from you.~

// Dialogue Scripts

COMPILE ~Margarita/Scripts/RL#MARG.baf~

// These lines are for Margarita's Dialogs

COMPILE ~Margarita/Dialogue/RL#MARG.d~
COMPILE ~Margarita/Dialogue/RL#MARGJ.d~
COMPILE ~Margarita/Dialogue/RL#MARGB.d~

// Margarita shall appear here

EXTEND_TOP ~AR5403.bcs~ ~Margarita/Scripts/AR5403.baf~

// Margarita's Scripts

APPEND ~pdialog.2da~
~RL#MARG RL#MARGP RL#MARGJ RL#MARGD RL#MARG25P RL#MARG25J RL#MARG25D RL#MARG25~
UNLESS ~RL#MARG~
APPEND ~interdia.2da~
~RL#MARG RL#MARGB RL#MARGB25~
UNLESS ~RL#MARG~

And here's the line in the .d file that corresponds with the sound file:

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN FirstMeet
SAY ~WOAH, you scared me, you did! What are you doing here? Don't you know these mines are infested?~ [RL#MAR1]

#4 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

You didn't include all possible voiced lines for Margarita's soundset in your .tp2, and you need to do that to define her responses to various game actions/events. Open any NPC mod's .tp2 file and see all the SAY lines. Copy that structure into your .tp2, but with your own character's lines and corresponding .wav files in brackets.

Edited by Eric P., 19 October 2013 - 10:52 AM.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#5 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

If you get Female3 voice, I think it's because your CRE file is using that sound as the greetings voice (INITIAL_MEETING if you look at the CRE file with NearInfinity). In BGEE, I think they restored the greetings voice (compared to BG 2) so that you get it anytime you start talking with an NPC.

In your case I assume you should have two voiced parts: first the general greetings from the CRE file, then the sound corresponding to your dialog line. If you don't have the dialog voice, it may be because your sound file is not called as in the D file (RL#MAR1) or it's not properly installed in the game.