Photo

BGTMusic problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Vaerk

Vaerk
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

I am using the newest version of BWS and noticed that BGTMusic doesn't work like I remember. The issue is that when I install the full BG/SoA/ToB music component some of the music wont play and at least one place uses wrong music track. These places are Candlekeep inn which has no music at all and Candlekeep barracks which has one of the inn tracks playing instead of the usual gloomy track. If I install the full BG/ToTSC music component I don't have these issues.

I have tried both components with minimum installations. I don't think I had this problem with earlier versions of BWS but it has been some time so I could be mistaken.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

I am using the newest version of BWS and noticed that BGTMusic doesn't work like I remember.
Actually you should just go with the ToBEx and not install the BGTMusic at all...

The reason being that the BGT adds it's own music to the game at the standard BGT install and the BGTMusic is there to avoid the >99 songlist.2da "game not starting" -error without the ToBEx, as it allows (nearly)any amount of song in there.

Edited by The Imp, 08 November 2013 - 01:40 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Vaerk

Vaerk
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

I am using the newest version of BWS and noticed that BGTMusic doesn't work like I remember.
Actually you should just go with the ToBEx and not install the BGTMusic at all...

The reason being that the BGT adds it's own music to the game at the standard BGT install and the BGTMusic is there to avoid the >99 songlist.2da "game not starting" -error without the ToBEx, as it allows (nearly)any amount of song in there.

Interesting. Despite my furious googling before posting this question I was unable to find any information at all about this mod and that it is not needed with tobex. Though BWS does force you to install one of the three BGT Music components, so I don't really know what I should do.

Edited by Vaerk, 08 November 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

Though BWS does force you to install one of the three BGT Music components, so I don't really know what I should do.
Erhm, NO ! You can install which ever mod you wish with the BWS, the customization of the installation is one of the most important features the whole program has !
No you don't have to install the G3 BG2 Fixpack, you can, but it's not required (by the basic principle of the program)... as only the BiG World tools are required, which are not actually game content adding mods.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Vaerk

Vaerk
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Though BWS does force you to install one of the three BGT Music components, so I don't really know what I should do.
Erhm, NO ! You can install which ever mod you wish with the BWS, the customization of the installation is one of the most important features the whole program has !
No you don't have to install the G3 BG2 Fixpack, you can, but it's not required (by the basic principle of the program)... as only the BiG World tools are required, which are not actually game content adding mods.

In that case I have no idea what I should do. Some of the mods such as the fixpack, BGT Music, restored textscreen music and the assorted BiG world mods just can't be removed from the list. I have been looking at all the options, at least I think so. Like I said earlier I am using the newest version of BWS made by Quiet.

#6 Vaerk

Vaerk
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

I had my old BWS install files on my external hdd and tried them. Music plays just as it should with the old files so there might be something wrong with the new BGT Music mod.

Edit: Actually there might be something wrong with fixpack, trimpack or installpack. The working install has versions 11.4 of these mods. The new install uses versions 13.0.X. These are the only different files when testing with minimun installation.

Edited by Vaerk, 13 November 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#7 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Jarno, why are you spreading misinformation like this to newcomers? Do you seriously not know better? It is very bad for the project. The fixpack, in fact, *must* be installed to ensure proper functioning of all mods in the BWP. It says so very clearly in the BWP document. And last i checked, because of this, also BWS forces it's install.

The BWS, in fact, also forces the use of BGTMusic, last I checked. And there has never been any problems with this in my installs with Tobex. And to be blunt, I would not trust your words in this anyway because you often seem to talk about things you do not know.

Also you do sound a bit offensive to people when it isn't called for.

Vaerk, I sadly can not help you with your problem, but please do not be confused by "The Imp". I would recommend you try waiting for someone else to answer.

#8 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

Jarno, why are you spreading misinformation like this to newcomers? Do you seriously not know better? It is very bad for the project. The fixpack, in fact, *must* be installed to ensure proper functioning of all mods in the BWP.

Well, I do know better... yes, some of the mods might require the G3 Fixpack, but most of those mention it in the readme ... or they are badly coded. Yes, the mods can add the exact same functions as the Fixpack if they are required and if you don't do that, you are a bad coder as is. That's my line, yours might be way out there elsewhere. Yes, and I know I too am a bad coder, as one of my mods won't install on the vanilla BG2 game without the help of the BG2 Fixpack... but I never contest it ! Unlike say you, a guest without a reply address. :devil:
If you look for example the Rogue Rebalancing, it shouldn't require the G3 mod, it works with and without it, as there's a redundancy code just for this case, and it needs to always be installed after the G3 Fixpack... but normally you won't notice it as you don't need to. Well unless you wish to make a special installation where every decision matters. There is examples, like installing the formally waring mods... the G3 and the Baldurdash -_Fixpacks.... the BWP has traditionally made the definite decision to op out the latter while making the consequent mods compatible with fixes etc things. This was later amended with more fixes, but the mod still doesn't install all major component tweaks as it could without the BWP's influence(as in vanilla mod).
BUT those traditions are not all healthy. I would say that insisting the BGTMusic to be installed after the BGT is baseless, and it can cause harm too, and were it the version that came out with v1.05b, the requirement would be fixed already, as it would remove songs for major mods that are installed before it. AKA this:

when I install the full BG/SoA/ToB music component some of the music wont play and at least one place uses wrong music track.

But there's other aspect too, the fact that the BGT would then require the ToBEx ... shall we make a quote castle ? (of the things that are bad with this approach)

And if the current BWS doesn't allow the BGT to be installed without the BGTMusic... then it's a problem in the current BWS, as it did allow that in the previous versions.

Edited by The Imp, 15 November 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#9 Vaerk

Vaerk
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

I imagine that there could be other people who have this problem. Would be strange if I was the only person to have this issue and it's not like it is hard to test if others have the same issue.

#10 -Deaderinred-

-Deaderinred-

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

had the same issue with bg1 areas, different battle music playing, had the sarevok fight music playing when fighting gibberlings after meeting elminster for the first time. the map before had temple music for the night time music. bg2 and tob seemed fine though.

#11 Vaerk

Vaerk
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

had the same issue with bg1 areas, different battle music playing, had the sarevok fight music playing when fighting gibberlings after meeting elminster for the first time. the map before had temple music for the night time music. bg2 and tob seemed fine though.

It is good to know that I am not the only one with this problem. I should at some point try to install BGT fixpack, trimpack and tweakpack one by one to see which of them causes BGT Music to not work properly.

#12 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

It is good to know that I am not the only one with this problem. I should at some point try to install BGT fixpack, trimpack and tweakpack one by one to see which of them causes BGT Music to not work properly.  

It might be the BGT-music itself... like I tried to point in the above post.

#13 Vlan

Vlan
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hello there,

I also have some weird issues with the music in BGT.

Baldurs Gate 1 has no problems, afaik. BG2 however has a lot of wrong tracks in different areas. Waukeens Promenade and Umar Hills have this soundtrack as background soundtrack, Slums have a church-like background music and so on.

I tried to deactivate the BGT Music in my BWS, but the program does not let me deactive it.

Any help?

Edited by Vlan, 30 November 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#14 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:46 AM

I disable the forced installation of BGT Music in new BWS. Trying now.

#15 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

I disable the forced installation of BGT Music in new BWS. Trying now.

Good, thanks.

#16 -RoEl-

-RoEl-

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

This topic is years old, but, I am installing the latest version of BWS and it is FORCING me to actually install BGT on copies of my BGI,2 games just to extract the BGT music setup (that is if it works) bc BWS will NOT continue without it. So, disabled it?

Apparently not.

#17 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

RoEI:  do you want to install BGT Music without BGT, or BGT without BGT Music?

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

RoEI:  do you want to install BGT Music without BGT, or BGT without BGT Music?

From what I interpreted, he/she tries to get the BGT Music without the BGT(-weidu) install. He might not have a BG1 ... so hte first.

And to my makeup belief, it's not possible to make a BGT Music install without the game(BG1+totsc).

Edited by The Imp, 26 December 2016 - 03:09 PM.

#19 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

Well, in case it was the second (not wanting BGT Music), I've made it optional (you can install BGT without BGT Music).  Currently, BWS will not even show BGT Music without BGT due to a purge rule in Config\BWP\Game.ini.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#20 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, one would need to make the BGT Music independent appart from the BGT-weidu to have it install-able in the BG2 game without the main mod(BGT-weidu). Not that it's anymore needed as the game works totally fine without it, as there's no 100 song limit due to the ToBEx. Maybe name the thing to be BG2music, or some such horror.