Photo

Modding suite for the Enhanced editions

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

Is a modding suite compatible with BOTH enhanced edition games available?

#2 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

There's a modding suite?

#3 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

it was called PSgui or something

#4 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

it was called PSgui or something

Most of the file formats that PS gui (see in the hidden part of my signature for a link) worked with have been replaced with modern formats. For example, .MVE has been replaced with .WEB(M); .WAV, .WAVC, and .ACM have been replaced with .OGG; .PLT, .TIS, .TIZ, .MOS, et. al. files have been replaced with .PVR(Z) files. Really, PS gui's only capability that is still relevant in the Enhanced Editions is the WAV<->OGG conversion, and even then, OggDec which PS gui wraps is a couple version out of date...

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#5 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

so where one would find updated tools?

#6 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

http://sourceforge.n...es/DLTCEP 7.6g/

Not a modding suite per se, but a game files editor (which is enough to do almost anything you'd want, including a total conversion of the whole game). Yes, it should be compatible with both EEs.

Edited by pro5, 01 December 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#7 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

Well, your options aren't spectacular.  NearInfinity is being updated by Argent77 to support the new BG(II):EE file formats, but it isn't ready yet.  Your other option is the latest version of DLTCEP, but it still can't do everything yet (IIRC, it still can't yet handle files which use the new PVR format, including BAM v2 and MOS v2).

Edited by Sam., 01 December 2013 - 12:43 AM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#8 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

one just has to wait then :D

#9 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

EE only uses new formats for GUI files (+worldmap mos I think) though. And it will work fine with v1 bam and mos files too. So unless you intend to modify the new gui, there really is no reason to wait. Unless I'm missing something. :)

The following TP2 code will copy all V2 files in the game into "BAMBATCH/V2" subfolder if you want to check out a complete list of what's "uneditable":

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.bam~ ~override~
	READ_ASCII 0x4 ~version~ (2)
	PATCH_IF ~%version%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~V2~ BEGIN
		INNER_ACTION BEGIN		
		COPY_EXISTING ~%SOURCE_FILE%~ ~bambatch/v2~
		END
	END
BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.mos~ ~override~
	READ_ASCII 0x4 ~version~ (2)
	PATCH_IF ~%version%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~V2~ BEGIN
		INNER_ACTION BEGIN
		COPY_EXISTING ~%SOURCE_FILE%~ ~bambatch/v2~
		END
	END
BUT_ONLY

#10 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:55 AM

check out a complete list of what's "uneditable"
Area Tilesets use the PVR format (which is uneditable ATM) as well. BGII:EE also introduced 32-bit bitmap files which is a new format to the Infinity Engine and which NearInfinity can't handle yet (although DLTCEP might can). So yes, DLTCEP is mostly
compatible with BOTH enhanced edition games available
, but not entirely...

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#11 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

Area Tilesets use the PVR format (which is uneditable ATM) as well. BGII:EE also introduced 32-bit bitmap files which is a new format to the Infinity Engine and which NearInfinity can't handle yet (although DLTCEP might can).

Yes, but old TIS tilesets are still accepted and will work just as well (so there's no need to wait for new tools to create a new area for your modding needs). New tilesets can currently be loaded in latest DLTCEP (use "Load MOS..." option) and exported as bitmaps/TIS, although not without problems (resulting images/tilesets have visible graphical glitches aka "tears" at tile borders).

Item description images is the only serious problem I've hit in modding BG2EE - old BAMs aren't displayed at the moment, but as I understand this is going to be fixed in a future patch.

#12 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

nope. I cannot open the new audio files in ANY way.

#13 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

nope. I cannot open the new audio files in ANY way.

They're simple OGG files. Extract them from biffs with weidu (weidu.exe --biff-get whatever.wav), change extension to .ogg and play with any decent music player (foobar2000, winamp, windows media player, etc.) to see what's in them.

DLTCEP menu option Sound -> WAVC to WAV will also correctly extract and convert them to old-fashioned WAVs which will be recognized by non-EE games.

Edited by pro5, 06 December 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#14 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

would that also work from PSgui?

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

I believe so, though Sam. could say for sure (I used it quite a bit for WAV<->WAVC conversion... never messed much with OGGs).

As for bogstandard modding tools, we use DLTCEP and NI still for the most part. Yes, they aren't updated quite as fast as developers make changes to file formats, but that's to be expected, I suppose.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#16 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

I believe so, though Sam. could say for sure (I used it quite a bit for WAV<->WAVC conversion... never messed much with OGGs).

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I've been out of town with no internet connection/computer. Yes, once you extract the audio files and and change the extension from .WAV to .OGG, PS Gui should be able to convert them to actual WAV files. Same goes for the other direction: use PS Gui to convert WAV files to OGG, then change the extension to .WAV so the Enhanced Edition can read it.

Edited by Sam., 02 January 2014 - 08:19 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#17 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

thank you sam :D 

such a complete OGG interface.. I only need to find proper guidelines for both BG1 and BG2

#18 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

If you are talking about the OGG format specifications (bitrate, channels, etc.), it probably doesn't matter, so whatever the converter defaults are (probably the same as the input file?) Should be fine. If you really want to match what is in-game, OGG Info (also packaged with PS Gui) should be able to help you out if u use it to analyze a couple of the files from each game.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#19 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

I've seen it. is it possible to save all info as a preset for future conversions?

#20 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

I've seen it. is it possible to save all info as a preset for future conversions?
Unfortunately not. I never got around to implementing that...

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage