Photo

Custom soundsets - Enhanced editions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Is there a template for custom voicesets compatible with both enhanced edition games available? one that lists all voices required?

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Open the BGEE game install folder ... in mine it's in C:\Pelit\Baldur Gate Enhanced Edition... and then I just go to the sound files in ... Baldur Gate Enhanced Edition\lang\en_US\sounds/ ... it has the template:

sndlist.txt:

Custom Sound files

The following is a list of the wav files for the custom sound sets.
Replace each 'XXXXXXX' in the filenames with the name of the sound set (MAX 7 CHARACTERS).
All the wav files should be 22 khz, 16 bit mono sounds.

XXXXXXXa.wav    : Battle Cry
XXXXXXXb.wav    : Becoming Leader
XXXXXXXc.wav    : Tired
XXXXXXXd.wav    : Bored
XXXXXXXe.wav    : Badly Wounded
XXXXXXXf.wav    : Selected 1
XXXXXXXg.wav    : Selected 2
XXXXXXXh.wav    : Selected 3
XXXXXXXi.wav    : Action Acknowledgement 1
XXXXXXXj.wav    : Action Acknowledgement 2
XXXXXXXk.wav    : Action Acknowledgement 3
XXXXXXXl.wav    : Being Hit
XXXXXXXm.wav    : Dying
XXXXXXXn.wav    : In Forest
XXXXXXXo.wav    : In City
XXXXXXXp.wav    : In Dungeon
XXXXXXXq.wav    : Daytime
XXXXXXXr.wav    : Nighttime
XXXXXXXs.wav    : Rare Selected 1
XXXXXXXt.wav    : Rare Selected 2
XXXXXXXu.wav    : Rare Selected 3
XXXXXXXv.wav    : Rare Selected 4
XXXXXXXw.wav    : Reaction to Party Member Death

Copy the .wav files to the Sounds directory located in the directory that Baldur's Gate
was installed in.

And it should work in both game, as it  did in the old ones.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

thank you! the sounds will simply not play if they are not in the right format, right?

if I complete a couple where do I upload them?

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

If you have the copy rights for the files, you can upload them to the SHSforum file system... I would put them to the BGEE category. At least that's what I think, I could be wrong...

Also there is/was a PC Soundset mod some time ago... if you wish, you could contact anyone on the Administration team, and ask a permission to have your files added as a part to that mod, in which case they would make a few arrangements and you could upload your files to that category.

Edited by The Imp, 29 December 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

thanks.

why are files listed as WAV even in the TXT if Mediainfo shows they are instead OGG vorbis files?

Edited by Dark_Ansem, 29 December 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

thanks.

why are files listed as WAV even in the TXT if Mediainfo shows they are instead OGG vorbis files?

Erhm, to my knowledge you need to convert the .ogg files to .wav files for the game to be able to use them(at least in the non EE BG2). But it could be that the BGEE can handle both or the other one. .ogg's being free of license makes them easier to make, or whatever.

Edited by The Imp, 29 December 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#7 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

BG: EE can read Ogg Vorbis natively. All vanilla sounds are in Ogg Vorbis. The developers chose to keep on using a .wav file extension, but that's no more peculiar than Bioware's/BIS' decision to use a .wav extension for the ACM-with-an-extra-header format they used.

#8 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

so in the end which files would work for sfxs?

#9 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:22 AM

are those listed in the txt file really all instances of pc sounds? most soundsets don't even have all of them!

#10 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:20 AM

are those listed in the txt file really all instances of pc sounds?

Well, there's one that's only in the BG2EE, it's the xxxxxxx_.wav file, which is likely to be "Action Acknowledgement 4" or the rare type of it. Also know that the fact is, the PC doesn't actually need to talk that much as it's the NPCs that do all the talking, unlike in Mass Effect where Shepard takes the main stage. And these are the game command response voices, the dialog voices are all their own files coded during the compilation of the .d files to the .tlk files.

#11 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

I know that, and I guess it makes sense...

now I only have to convert files appropriatedly

#12 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

happy new year to everyone :D

I tried to check also for the BG2 soundsets but I couldn't find any txt file in the lang folder of BG2 and the system appears to be a bit more complicated. any ideas?

#13 -Chris82-

-Chris82-

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

I have a problem. Most of my custom sound files are played correctly, but the sound files XXXXXXXn.wav to XXXXXXXv.wav do not play. For NPCs that you can take into your party, events like "in the city" are played. The same files are also not present for the standard female and male voices that can be selected at character creation... I am using BG:EE, German version and placed the sound files into the lang\de_DE\sounds directory. All files, playable and not playable, do have the same .wav properties. Could it be that in BG:EE the main player cannot have these sounds? If yes, is that also true in BG2:EE

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions in this forum! Best, Chris82

#14 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

I believe this is a tech issue that should be patched. they haven't supported the game in a bit tho, focused on android.

#15 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

I believe this is a tech issue that should be patched. they haven't supported the game in a bit tho, focused on android.

More likely thing is that it could get rather dull to hear the same thing the 10th thousandth time in the PC... and the scripting of the sound is likely intended as a mood setting. Consider the following; Say the phrase "Ouh, we are in a city, now!" a few times in a row, and each time make the phrase a little more ironic, and then measure the amount of the uurrgghh you can get out of it.

#16 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:07 AM

has 1.3 changed things?

#17 Ry7n

Ry7n
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

I found this via Google and noticed it has never gotten answered, so I did some more research. There are a handful of files not consistent across BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE. They are:

XXXXXXXw.wav : Reaction to Party Member Death (BG/IWD)

XXXXXXXx.wav : Annoyed Acknowledgement 1 (BG2/IWD)
XXXXXXXy.wav : Annoyed Acknowledgement 2 (BG2/IWD)
XXXXXXXz.wav : Critical Hit (BG2)
XXXXXXX_.wav : Action Acknowledgement 4 (BG2/IWD)
XXXXXXX#.wav : Annoyed Acknowledgement 3 (IWD)

For example, to create a BG2 sound set from an IWD one, you'd need to come up with a Z sound (e.g. just copy and rename the battlecry sound). The annoyed acknowledgements could always be created from the regular acknowledgements, and etc. All sounds need to be 22khz mono wav files.

Once you've gotten your sound set, you can install it with WeiDU, or the more simple way is to create a folder named sounds in the same location as you would custom portraits; i.e. with Steam for Mac it's

~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/sounds

~/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/sounds

~/Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition/sounds

Edited by Ry7n, 08 January 2017 - 03:48 PM.