Help with BWP, game freezes only while actors are moving

bwp bws bugs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 -Herzog-

-Herzog-

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

hey guys,

i've recently installed the Big World Project (using BWS) and was really looking forward to playing through one of the most awesome game series every made... but i've run into a problem.

the game ran fine up until i got to the gnoll stronghold, but now every time 3 or more actors (mobs, or party members) are moving around, the game freezes, and only unfreezes once everyone is stationary again, this does not seem to effect attack or idle animations, only movement. i can go into map mode and watch the party move normal, so it seems to only be effecting the actual game window.

i'm running on a pretty beastly computer, using "Nvidia geforce gtx 550 ti" on a 6 core processor which made short work of games like skyrim... so i'm at a loss as to why it's bugging out over BG.

any help or advice would be welcome, and a quick heads up, i am not very computer literate (i know enough to know that i know next to nothing)

thanks in advance guys,

-Herzog

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

You got really bad lag.... read the post about it. Ambient sounds and all.. and then there's one new trick for 64-bit Operation System computers, and it's to allow the bgmain.exe to use the additional ram...

On 64-bit Microsoft Windows, processes running 32-bit executables that were linked with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:YES option have access to 4 GiB of virtual address space;[5][4] without that option they are limited to 2GB. By default, 64-bit processes have 8TB of user-mode virtual address space; Linking with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:NO artificially limits the user-mode virtual address space to 2 GB.[6][7]

Edited by The Imp, 08 January 2014 - 01:57 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -herzog-

-herzog-

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

thanks loads :)

turns out it was the ambient sound, problem fixed by turning that off in this area... it seems to work fine in other areas, so i guess i can sacrifice the sound of gnolls to enjoy this awesome game.

thanks again,

-Herzog

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

The ambient sounds are sounds produced by the area the player stands on... drops of water(waterfall, cave features etc.), not creature sounds. There's very good reasons why the BWP Setup sets those off by default, and this is very common for some odd reason we don't know so far as it has not been fixed ...

So enabling those sounds was "your own fault" for the lag.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bwp, bws, bugs