Photo

Crash When Devas and Planetars Are Affected by Invisibility

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ABlake

ABlake
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

So, after grabbing BG2:EE and gave it one playthrough I couldn't help but miss the good old BG2 (modded, of course) with so many enhancements compared with the EE version. I decided to reinstall BG2, starting from scratch, with a selected number of mods.

This issue first poped up when a Planetar cast Improved Invisibility 10' on me when my HP drops low (I'm still in play testing, and haven't even biff'ed - I get like 0.5 FPS in game). Long story short, I found out the game crashes when Devas and Planetars are targeted by the Invisibility effect. The vanilla game does not have this issue.

The mods I have which affect celestials in some way are: P&P Celestials, 1PP, and Spell Revisions. P&P Celestials only affect their AI, or basically just what they do. Spell Revisions change their animations to those of human form - to take advantage of "attachable wings", and 1PP kind of makes them look "solid" instead of blurry like they used to be, with some color enhancements. I can get rid of this crash by changing their animations to human, as per Spell Revisions. Invisibility works fine on them when they're in human form.

In short, I like both how 1PP makes them look much better, and I also like the attachable wings - a lot, I might add. Obviously, I can have only one of the two: I can keep them either in solar form, or in human form with wings. So I thought I'd just point this out, to see if there's anything that can be done about this issue.

A thousand thanks to modders. Always have appreciated your work.

Currently installed mods:

1PP v4.1.0

Ascension

aTweaks v3.71

BG1 NPC SOA TOB v9

BG2 Fixpack

BG2 Tweaks

Divine Remix v7.1

Expanded Thief Stronghold

Infinity Animations

Item Revisions v3 Beta 1.1

Weimer's Item Upgrade v4.0

Lucy the Wyvern v4

Oversight v13

PnP Celestials v6

Refinements v3.31

Resource Fixer

Revised Battles v6.3

Rogue Rebalancing

Sword Coast Stratagem

Slandor & Lilacor

Spell Revisions

Tactics v25

Thrown Hammers v3

TOB Ex B0026

Unfinished Business BG2

Wheels of Prophecy

Wizard Slayer Rebalancing

I downloaded all of the above just in Dec 2013, so they should be quite up-to-date. Most of them I selected only 1 or 2 or a few components to avoid compatibility issues.

Edit: SOLAR animation does not cause crash. Only ANTISOLAR animation does. Also, the error message in ToBEx DOS window when the game crash is:

ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x9CCAD1 File: ChVidImage.cpp Line: 1910 Expression: !((dwFlags & CVIDIMG_TRANSLUCENT) && (dwFlags & CVIDCELL_BRIGHTEST)) Message: (null)

Edited by ABlake, 28 January 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#2 -ablake-

-ablake-

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

I'll just copy my post over Spell Revisions forum and paste it here. The issue was mentioned over there, and they were dicussing about it. Here's my original post:

Ok, so I was going through the TobEx_ini.txt to read the explanations of the hacks/fixes. The next-to-last section is VVC Alpha Rendering Crash Fix, with description:

- Enables the use of the alpha mask animation RLE-encoded BAM of VVC files by removing an erroneously placed assertion error
- This alpha mask animation is used only when 3d acceleration is enabled

Now, I don't know, but I thought this sounded like something related to the crash, so I went ahead and checked 3D Acceleration, got back in game and tried to reproduce the crash, and the problem was gone. I'm not sure about all this cause it sounds kinda arbitrary. Still, the problem is now gone with 3D Acceleration and TobEx's corresponding fix enabled. I can't tell if this crash is eliminated simply by checking 3D Acceleration, and actually has nothing to do with TobEx, or TobEx does fix it.

Anyway, I posted this here cause the issue was mentioned, and to say I'm pretty sure this crash is not a Spell Rev issue. I'll update this to my post on 1PP forum.

Reading the old posts, I think 3D Accel. does have something to do with this. Funny, cause my old laptop doesn't support 3D Accel. I never knew about this issue cause back then in my installation celestials were having human animation with wings.