Photo

Update to German and English files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

I have made another run through the German translation and finally also tackled the readme and post-install notes. Naturally I thereby discovered some errors in the English files as well.

All German text files have been touched, including worldmap.tra and uninstal.txt. Apart from correcting a handful of remaining grammatical errors, most changes were due to improving the original translation of BGT's texts, such as the journal entries for completed quests. I corrected all inaccurate translations by checking every single string against its English original.
Regarding the readme and post-install notes, the existing German files were outdated, so I made entirely new ones. I copied the English files and did a new translation from top to bottom, so the German instructions are now on par with the English files again and are updated to the new formatting. I also took care to include additional instructions specific to the German version which were present in the old files.

I've attached the German files here:
(edit: files updated on 21-Apr-2014)
(edit2: moved the download from OneDrive to SHS, 31-Oct-2014)

Attached File  german-files-bgt 2014-04-21.rar   52.71K   122 downloads

Regarding the English files, this is what I found:

journal.tra
@310101: Nestor >> Nester (3x) (see other references to him for confirmation)
@310108: to weak >> too weak
@310111: to long >> too long
@310165: He gave me >> She gave me (Voltine is female)
@310166: disposed of him >> disposed of her (Voltine is female)
@310244: Odulinian >> Ordulinian
@311278:
we searching >> we were searching
He suggested us to report >> He suggested we report (or suggested reporting)

setup.tra
@200001: THACO >> THAC0
@200002: THACO >> THAC0
@200004: THACO >> THAC0
@200005: THACO >> THAC0
@700038:
"What should I tackle next?" -Bardez, >> "What should I tackle next?" -Bardez (minus the comma)
looing >> looking
possilbe >> possible
all TBG files >> all BGT files // edit: my mistake, see posts below
caffiene >> caffeine
frusterated >> frustrated
wierd rash >> weird rash

Plus, I have a request regarding @401108 in scripts.tra. Belt says he can teleport Charname to a place "just north of Athkatla", and this is where the ambush then happens. Which means Charname is already in Amnish territory. Therefore I think that line should say "Take them all back to Athkatla" instead of "Amn", unless I'm missing something?

[english]bgtreadme.htm

In the Installation section, step 4, the link to the post-install notes doesn't work for me, only when I copy-paste it into the address bar. Replacing the special character code with the actual brackets fixes it, so this is what I did for the German file, but I'm not sure whether that's okay.

#FAQ6: This is trivial of course, but I reduced the minimum install time to 10 minutes in the German readme, just to make it a little more realistic. Nowadays, on my own laptop with a one year old SSD, installation takes exactly 2.5 minutes including all prompts.

#FAQ15: "Current compatibility between BGT-WeiDU and other modifications are listed here." Seems like a link is missing there. I put in http://www.shsforums...showtopic=19539 for now.

#FAQ16: The instruction for translating the tra files doesn't display "@<number> =" because the brackets are special characters (already fixed in the German file).

In the troubleshooting section, there are two instances of "Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal". This should be Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. (Or Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga? I'm not entirely sure what is meant there.)

In the troubleshooting section, there are three remarks referring to Step 2 in the Installation section. This might be inaccurate now because the structure of the install section has changed.

Throughout the readme, the curved apostrophe was replaced by a straight one, but the opening curved apostrophe (( ‘ )) is still there, for instance in #FAQ8: ‘New BG2 Game' etc.

Typos:
Allow the installation finish >> Allow the installation to finish
players that who have >> players who have

[english]postinstall.htm

The post-install document still uses the curved apostrophes. This could be changed to make it consistent with the readme.

In the Known Issues section, the link to the Beregost Crasher Fixer utility doesn't work anymore. I used http://www.shsforums...showtopic=24121 instead.

Typos:
Due to game engine bug >> Due to a game engine bug
installation chian >> installation chain
another modifications >> other modifications

Edit: Additionally, there is an error in the Spanish setup.tra:
@700038: los archivos de BGT >> los archivos TBG

Edited by -Hurricane-, 31 October 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#2 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Excellent!

Since we don't know when and if Ascension64 will ever come back to modding, its reassuring to know there is you around keeping your eyes open!

#3 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

setup.tra
@700038:
all TBG files >> all BGT files

Ahem, now I'm not sure about that one anymore thanks to this.

Can anybody tell whether Bardez really meant "TBG files" here?

"I'm done... no wait.  I have to check both games.  Entirely. Fuck."
-Bardez, upon importing all TBG files

Edited by -Hurricane-, 18 April 2014 - 03:20 AM.

#4 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:44 AM

setup.tra
@700038:
all TBG files >> all BGT files

Ahem, now I'm not sure about that one anymore thanks to this.

Can anybody tell whether Bardez really meant "TBG files" here?

"I'm done... no wait.  I have to check both games.  Entirely. Fuck."
-Bardez, upon importing all TBG files

Most probably. At that time making TBG or IAP file from items or other kinds of files was the only way to transfer a file along with its associated texts to another game setup.

#5 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thank you, Isaya. Your wisdom, once again, is very much appreciated. :)

I've edited my post accordingly and also updated the German files, because I had carried over the mistake.
I've checked the other languages. The Spanish setup.tra also says BGT files when it should be TBG files, so it needs to be corrected there as well. All other languages are fine.