BiG World Setup trouble

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Urborg Vengrath

Urborg Vengrath
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the BWS, but it looks like it is taking organizing and installing mods to the next level. So I am eager to try it out and get it working smoothly. However I ran into trouble the other night and it is persisting.

When BWS begins to check sites for the availability of mod downloads, before any are even installed, I am receiving a blue screen that says Windows has shut down  to protect itself and that I need to restart my computer. So I end up having to power down and starting the computer up again.

Now, I am using bws_20140215 and I am running Windows XP. My anti-virus is on at this point, but I told it to trust BWS. I have SoA and ToB installed (not the enhanced versions), with the recommended patch for ToB. BWS is in the SoA folder. I started a fresh game in both SoA and ToB. The  folder's that Jarno/The Imp recommended to remove in his FAQ (save, temp save, etc.) have been deleted.

I'm not sure what to do to solve this. Has anyone else experienced the same issue? I'd appreciate any advice you guys could offer.

Edited by Urborg Vengrath, 13 April 2014 - 05:35 PM.

I shall consume the living and the dead.

#2 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

Try disabling UAC.

#3 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Windows XP does not have UAC...
Maybe looking at the log would help finding out what's going on.
BWS internally works by executing commands in a cmd-prompt. If your computer freaks out when it does that, you'll likely have problems using it at all.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

Erhm, the XP Professional does. At least that's what this documentation implies. And the others might get it at SP3...
Maybe looking at the log would help finding out what's going on.
That's the BiG World Debug.txt correct ?

BWS internally works by executing commands in a cmd-prompt. If your computer freaks out when it does that, you'll likely have problems using it at all.
Erhm, instead of the BWS being only just a .bat process(direct .cmd.exe user), it also does a few other procedures, and it uses Windows PowerShell which needs the Windows .NET Frameworks, but I have no idea what the requirements to run the latest version are ? Yes, it's automatically in Windows 7, but it's optional download for Vista and XP. That's what the documentation says, again.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

1) Um, do you wanted to link "how to disable users"? As far as I understand, UAC is a system that runs tasks that need more rights than others in an elevated state. A quick search only got me some hints about "you need more power to install software" if you are a restricted user.
2) Depends on the failure and how fast the process can log the errors. If it's during the testing phase, it would be BiG World Link List.txt, but I'd take all files in BiG World Setup\Logs into account...
3) The VB script is just used so you don't have to push/pull the BiG World Setup.au3 onto the AutoIt3.exe or open the later and choose to open the first. And it's expanded by AL|EN so it elevates the process to use admin-rights. AutoIt3 is an own script language in itself and does not need .NET nor Powershell or some script language. The executable was designed to run out of the box on Win2K or with some help of another dll even on Win9X or NT4 machines. Some functions I implemented use stuff that is implemented on 2K onwards and development started using a 2K VM.

#6 Urborg Vengrath

Urborg Vengrath
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

I'm not sure which log you want to see, so I'l get them all up. Here is the BiG World Backup Debug.

Spoiler

Here is the BiG World Link Debug:

Spoiler

Here is the BWS_Trace

Spoiler

The Trace Dump was blank.

Here is the BiG WOrld Download Debug:

Spoiler

Edited by Urborg Vengrath, 15 April 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#7 -NotYourHero-

-NotYourHero-

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

Erhm, the XP Professional does. At least that's what this documentation implies. And the others might get it at SP3...

That's not what that documentation implies at all. That documentation states that user accounts exist in Windows XP and implies nothing else. Saying that "user accounts existing in Windows XP implies User Account Control exists in Windows XP" is like saying "user accounts existing in Windows 95 implies User Account Control exists in Windows 95".

User accounts != UAC. No version of WinXP has ever had, or will ever have (since MS is dropping support for it unless you pay them huge sums of money) UAC (thank God).

#8 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Open a cmd-window.
Navigate to the BWS path, enter into tools-dir. Execute this:
wget.exe --no-passive-ftp --connect-timeout=20 --tries=1 --no-check-certificate --server-response --spider "http://www.shsforums.net/files/download/521-big-world-fixpack/"
If this crashes your PC, wget is disliked. In that case you can try to fetch it from here.
Or you can try to bypass the testing and download rather load all the files by yourself. Use the button to "List the required URLs" in the BWS to show you the download packages that you would need (fitting your selection).

If bypassing wget does not help, your PC likely is have problems with the BWS (code) itself. You can try to run the BWS in Debug mod (use the corresponding vbs) to try to find out what's wrong. Do this if you really want to know what code of the BWS bogs down the computer. It will populate the Logs\BWS_Trace.txt some more. Post that text. Otherwise use the packages that you downloaded and extract them with the tools that are in the BiG World Installpack.

Edited by dabus, 16 April 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#9 Urborg Vengrath

Urborg Vengrath
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

Bypassing wget worked. It didn't go smoothly though. I had to select and force extractions.

There were some things that couldn't extract properly: Lava's Colors of Infinity quests and the Blackguard kit. But I think it may have been the downloads themselves. Because when I re-downloaded them and extracted them manually errors popped up.

I also have a feeling components I didn't select/want were installed. As I don't remember Weimer's Improved Ilychi having a demon, golem, and a guy that summons Fallen Devas. Maybe the difficulty was amped up since I last played it.

#10 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

I also have a feeling components I didn't select/want were installed. As I don't remember Weimer's Improved Ilychi having a demon, golem, and a guy that summons Fallen Devas. Maybe the difficulty was amped up since I last played it.
The Tactics component... it always did ! What you probably did was, you installed the SCS's component last time and mixed it as the Tactics, that's totally insane.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#11 Urborg Vengrath

Urborg Vengrath
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

Seriously insane. How is a level seven party supposed to handle that? Yeesh. Well, I managed it after a ton of reloads and a lot of hit and run maneuvers plus traps from Yoshimo. I don't like hard fights, but I wanted the acorns he drops and Sarevok's sword. Plus, at some point it became a matter of pride.

Anyway, I skimmed over the WeidU log and it doesn't look like any unwanted components were installed. I've played some more and so far Ilychi has been the only thing to jar me. Thank you for your advice guys,