Which folders can I delete after install? + First BWS first impression

big world install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 -Fizzen the Gnome-

-Fizzen the Gnome-

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Just installed Baldur's Gate with Big World Setup. Congrats to everyone who made this possible.

I checked the "Megamod" compilation. BTW Great idea the compilation. There are so many mods it's difficult to decide which is worthy. The BGII - SoA folder was 16 GB, after running cleanup.bat it's about 10 GB. In it there are a lot of subfolders for each mod : "1pp" , "AjantisBG1", "Alcool".

My question is, can I delete those subfolders or will I run into problems? I thought maybe with "generalized biffing" these contents are already included in the "data" folder, is that right?

Thanks for any info. My OS drive is a 120 GB SSD, it fills up rather quickly because of video editing, but still I do most of my tasks on it because of the speed. So I need every GB I can spare.

On a sidenote, the installation went very smoothly. Just had to manually download a few mods but other than that, it was straightforward. On SSD + Core i7, it lasted maybe 3 or 4 hours max.

Bug : Mellencamp quest can't be completed without console because skeletons don't drop skulls in high hedge area.

Bad surprise : Algernon Cape nerfed, Gauntlets of Dexterity nerfed. I was never abusing these, and I don't think they were imbalanced (well maybe the cape was, but IMO it was fun to use once in a while).

Difficulty : with SCS enabled, and level 1 chars, it was quite hard. Could not kill Basilius without an explosion potion, could not kill a bunch of ogres without loading a dozen times... Had to switch to easy mode on some fights or plain pass on others :blush:  Also the reduced XP is a bit disappointing when doing plain BG quests...

Talkative characters : with the npc packs sometimes I feel they talk too much, giving their opinion that I did not ask. I dismissed all Good characters and am rolling with a badass evil team so at least their ramblings are not so cringeworthy.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

My question is, can I delete those subfolders or will I run into problems?
Well you can, as you say the data folder(the minimal override) has everything the game will ever use, but you'll risk the install in that if you run into a bug that has easy replacement file from one of those folders, you can't fix it in anyway except a full reinstall. Of course you could put the backup files to an external hard drive and you would be set.
I'll give you a picture of a .rar original BG2 SoA+ToB install folders, the white ones are the only ones you need to keep in your folder:
igm0hz.jpg
Bug : Mellencamp quest can't be completed without console because skeletons don't drop skulls in high hedge area.
If you read the readme of one of the mods you installed, you'll learn that there's other ways to get a skull, and it's meant to make the guest a bit harder to complete.

Personally, I would recommend installing the BG2 to a regular drive, and not to the SSD partition.

Edited by The Imp, 12 July 2014 - 04:36 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -Fizzen the Gnome-

-Fizzen the Gnome-

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Thanks. Yes right after posting this message I found a skull by accident in a cave near the nashkel mine exit. But I thought there was a deadline for the mellencamp quest, I'm not sure someone would have time to get the skull and get back to high hedge.

The beefed up Khark is insanely difficult, not worth the effort for just 2000 xp. Only solution I found was to stay invisible until he used up all his spells, because dispell magic could not remove his protections. 

Drizzt was easier. Just put 5 invisible party members around him, disable Group AI, and use an archer to shoot at him. I had to use about 120 arrows, it was a bit boring.

With the fairy dragon, BG1 is much easier because I can cast mass invisibility on the group before hard fights. This allows to position party members before starting the fight. Fights against spellcasters or archers are much easier.

The Cloak of the Wolf is very powerful, almost imbalanced with the regeneration. I'm passing it around within the team and the group is healed between two fights. My healing potions are piling up and I'm hardly using any. Only a few healing spells now and then.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:34 AM

Thanks. Yes right after posting this message I found a skull by accident in a cave near the nashkel mine exit. But I thought there was a deadline for the mellencamp quest, I'm not sure someone would have time to get the skull and get back to high hedge.
There shouldn't be a timer... just the fact that you can't trade with the store without solving the quest first ... is what I would remember, it could have changed too.
I never use healing potions, just a cleric or druid to do all the healing in the field ... out of combat.
The BG1 dragon is not meant to be really hard... just a touch of a challenge.
... and usually the ways to kill the Drizzt are boring... that's what you get for cheese.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 -Fizzen the Gnome-

-Fizzen the Gnome-

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

No I'm talking about the fairy dragon familiar. He can cast mass invisibility once a day right from the start of the game. It's very powerful in the beginning, though I guess if familiars don't improve over time it will get less and less useful.

One thing I do like is the resolution, 1280 * 720 seems optimal on a 23" screen. It changes the gameplay a bit because I can see such a large portion of the map. And also the new items from Thalantyr. With the warrior mage robe and the improved shield amulet, my warrior illusionist is already at -3 AC and can use his spells

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: big world install