• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dex909

dex909
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Hello there,

some questions about version and language differences:

I have the german version of BG2-SoA but I can install it in english (or french, italian etc.) will this effectively be the same as installing an english (US) version of the game? I have a completely english version of "Throne of Bhaal" which I usually install over it and then patch it with the official english update for ToB. Are there any incompatibilities with BGT if I use this installation? I can play it just fine so far, install went without problems. I did have one crash, however (also see my thread about the crash on this board).

Also: I use the gog.com "complete saga" version of Baldur's Gate I - would that be a problem or is this one the same as the original english versions? (I read that it has different files in the override folder?)

Will I have the utmost compatibility with BGT if I just buy the gog.com version of BG2 ("complete") as well?

I also use the graphics overhaul mod with this setup (the only larger mod besides the fixpacks and tweaks). Would the installation I described above be problematic with this mod and BGT?

Sorry for asking so many questions but the BGT mod is excellent, a real necessity to play BG in fact, and I am sure you guys already figured all that out a long time ago ;)

Kind regards,

dex909

Edited by dex909, 12 July 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

I have the german version of BG2-SoA but I can install it in english (or french, italian etc.) will this effectively be the same as installing an english (US) version of the game?

Not really.

I have a completely english version of "Throne of Bhaal" which I usually install over it and then patch it with the official english update for ToB. Are there any incompatibilities with BGT if I use this installation?

Then that's exactly what you need to do to make the "English" install. Then install the BG2Fixpack, then the BGT-Weidu, then graphics overhaul mod, Tweaks packs, then Widescreen mod ... then the Impilation mod ouh never mind the last, as that mod is never getting puplished. :devil:

Also: I use the gog.com "complete saga" version of Baldur's Gate I - would that be a problem or is this one the same as the original english versions? (I read that it has different files in the override folder?)

The most relavent difference between the Original Saga(that's the English tradename) is that it thinks to be the same as the original TotSC, but it's not... you might have to do a few tweaks, but the BGT will accept it after them. Read the answer "2.Q3" in this post that I wrote ages ago. It's a long post, and the answer is the third to last..

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 dex909

dex909
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

At first, thank you very much for answering, I started to feel like flooding this poor forum for no reason ;) Now, two things:

1. You mentioned section 2.Q3 which deals with BGII, is there something like that I have to do to the gog.com BG1 version as well? You said it just "pretends" to be a full TotSC installation? Because I have everything installed in exactly the order you mentioned (yay!), but will I have to do everything again because my BG1 install was the gog.com version? If there's not much missing, maybe I can install this later?

2. So effectively my BGII is in the correct state for BGT if I install the english ToB and patch it to the required version? That would be great! :D

If you could answer that, I guess I am settled and prepared to start my BGT game!

Kind regards,

dex909

PS.:  I also tried to give something back to the community and recreated the BGT map (the one with this strange watercolour filter) by using the original graphics of the first SoA map from scratch :) I have added it as an attachment, it is almost perfectly resembling the old BGT map but some things have shifted a little (stilll accurate to the areas in the game, however). Feel free to change it even further or move things around in Photoshop. I also changed the font for "Baldur's G." and recreated the boxes around the cities with a slight shadow inside (like the box around Athkala) and changed the position of the rose which I took from the original almost pixel by pixel. I also "merged" the ToB part of the map as detailed and careful as possible. Maybe you guys get some use out of this, it should look as if it came straight from BioWare. Just put the .mos file into the override folder and have fun ;)

Attached Images

• bpbgtmap_2014.png

Attached Files

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

1. You mentioned section 2.Q3 which deals with BGII, is there something like that I have to do to the gog.com BG1 version as well? You said it just "pretends" to be a full TotSC installation? Because I have everything installed in exactly the order you mentioned (yay!), but will I have to do everything again because my BG1 install was the gog.com version? If there's not much missing, maybe I can install this later?

2. So effectively my BGII is in the correct state for BGT if I install the english ToB and patch it to the required version? That would be great! :D

Ahh, well I forgot to look my own text... :devil:

Anyways, the GOG install is fine for the BGT. And even if it isn't, the BGT's install will fail and it will give a reason why, and the game(and the already installed mods) will work still fine even with a failed BGT install as the mods installer is made to install, uninstall and report bugs and avoid troubles(up to an extent). And you can then tweak the needed files and reinstall the BGT and get it to work.

As for the map, we have two very large ones in a mod, the more trouble is placing the travel icons and so forth... the mod also has language add-ons.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 dex909

dex909
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

Thanks, good to hear! :) One last thing (you probably cannot answer it because it's not your mod) but is the gog.com version of BG1 compatible and usable with that "BG1 graphic overhaul" mod? Maybe that mod has problems with the gog version even if BGT hasn't? Other than that I am finally ready to go with Baldur's Gate 1, great ;)

Oh and about that map, I made it because the one that currently comes with the BGT (not the big picture) has a quite blurry water colour filter on it. It is not intended to be used with BP or any of the mega mods. This version is simply cleaner and looks just a larger version of the one that came with SoA, I thought that was what the BGT team intended with the larger map anyway ;) Just compare it with the one currently installed by BGT. In any case, it's just a mod I made and want to share because I felt that this blurry filter on the map didn't look very authentic to BioWare's standards, maybe it's of use to someone some day ;)

Kind regards,

dex909

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

Thanks, good to hear! :) One last thing (you probably cannot answer it because it's not your mod) but is the gog.com version of BG1 compatible and usable with that "BG1 graphic overhaul" mod? Maybe that mod has problems with the gog version even if BGT hasn't? Other than that I am finally ready to go with Baldur's Gate 1, great ;)
The only BG1 Graphic overhaul mod that I know is actually a BG2 engine mod, that is; it needs the BG1EE or BGT or Tutu to be installed to a game. It doesn't work on the GOG BG1 cause it uses the old BG1 engine, but does if you install the BGT on the BG2 and for that use the BG1 from GOG to install the BGT. Yep, the BGT can only use an unmodified BG1 game(well unless you change the used language, but that's not a mod modification, it's a version difference), so even if the graphics mod would work on the BG1, there would be only harm done to the BGT install... if it were to be installed to the BG1 folder. But you use the BGT, and so install the BGT version of the Graphic mod to the BG2 folder.

PS, you start the BG2 game(s bgmain.exe) to play from Candlekeep to the Throne of Bhall within BGT.

The nowadays BP doesn't actually have a map adding properties, it's just an AI +game area feature adding mod.
The Worldmap mod itself works by overwriting everything all the other mods have done and then patches the overwritten file as needed(as it can't technically really be done differently). And the patching is where the magic really happens, as it supports all the mods that the community so far has made.

Edited by The Imp, 13 July 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#7 dex909

dex909
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

Nice! Thank you for answering that last one in detail ;) I also understand what you mean considering custom maps, of course it would only make sense if compatible to everything else. Maybe it even is, until then, maybe someone needs the graphics at least :)

So I can finally start BG, thanks again for the help - it's really appreciated! :)

#8 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

I also understand what you mean considering custom maps, of course it would only make sense if compatible to everything else. Maybe it even is, until then, maybe someone needs the graphics at least :)
Well the above map could be included in the Worldmap mod as a third possible map, it needs a lot of support code though... The worldmap mod is likely to get an update once I get off my lazy ass and push on a mod that adds a link from the BG2 areas to the BG1 areas, but in the mean time... erhm, no promises.

Edited by The Imp, 13 July 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#9 dex909

dex909
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hehe no worries, it's only a replacement of the map for the map image already included in BGT, the areas did not change anyway (except for the mountain pass maybe, which is a bit different to the current version), no problem. ;)

Kind regards,

dex909

Edited by dex909, 13 July 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#10 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

dex909 what you have done here is absolutely amazing.  Ever since I started BGT for the first time years ago I've been hugely bothered with the image quality of the map.  It was the one thing for me where BGTutu was clearly better.  I have tried using BP-BGT Worldmap mod just so that I can get a better one, but the image quality of the map in that mod isn't better, it's just bigger required for BWP which makes scrolling around it a tedious exercise for using it in a normal BGT game.  Your giving "something back to the community" is truly appreciated.  I can see very substantial difference between both maps, and in your post you are being very modest indeed explaining what you have done.  I think this is a huge improvement and in my opinion this map should not be included in a separate mod, it should replace the one included in BGT.

#11 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

Amazing indeed. Too bad that it isn't stretched a little south to cover all ToB areas. Maybe with source images I will find someone who will be interested in expanding this map a little (if author is not against it that is). dex909, check your PM box.

Edited by K4thos, 17 May 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#12 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:02 AM

K4thos,

dex909 has been a bright meteor, registering on the 12th of July 2014 and being seen last on the 16th of July 2014. I doubt he'll read your PM but I am sure he'd not have anything against an improvement to his own map.

#13 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:10 AM

K4thos,

dex909 has been a bright meteor, registering on the 12th of July 2014 and being seen last on the 16th of July 2014. I doubt he'll read your PM but I am sure he'd not have anything against an improvement to his own map if it's made into a mod, and he/she gets the credit for it.

A small fix on that.

#14 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:11 AM

Sure. I took it for granted.

#15 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

The updated map is coming!  I just spend some time in Photoshop attaching ToB map into dex909's map.  I have no knowledge how to make the rest of the necessary changes to make everything else work.  I'm attaching the map file here, if any of you guys know how to make this into a working mod, or know somebody who can, please forward the file to them, so that hopefully we can make this happen.

EDIT: Sadly when editing the image I've used the attached .png that dex909 provided, assuming it was the same size as the .mos file of the map.  It wasn't, it was a downsized version, which means that my edited map is too small.

Edited by ikonomov, 27 May 2021 - 08:02 AM.

#16 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

Can you attach the .mos file ? K4thos is making the Enhanced Edition Trilogy mod(you get a version of it here ) and one of it's primary goals was to have a single map for all the adventure so to speak, so this will be useful.

#17 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

Here is the .mos file using Near Infinity.  It is V1 without compression.

EDIT: Sadly when editing the image I've used the attached .png that dex909 provided, assuming it was the same size as the .mos file of the map.  It wasn't, it was a downsized version, which means that my edited map is too small.

Edited by ikonomov, 27 May 2021 - 08:02 AM.

#18 dex909

dex909
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

Hey there, of course you can use my map ;) It's a late response as I read through older emails just now and found the one you were contacting me this very minute, so I'm just dropping by to say it's ok. Really cool to see people appreciate the map, I am always a fan of projects to combine the "trilogy". Nice job with your expansion of the map, have fun! :)

#19 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

FYI, there is an expanded map effort underway for the Enhanced Edition Trilogy -- http://gibberlings3....owtopic=27749 

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#20 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:48 PM

dex909's map will be added in the upcoming version. I've expanded the banner and changed Baldur's Gate a little bit, because in the author's vision it strangely occupied the whole region north of Chionthar. I've also asked ikonomov to send me the full-sized version of the map with ToB areas, as the images provided here were downscaled and the area icons won't fit properly.

Edited by skellytz, 01 April 2021 - 12:47 PM.