Missing Wild Mage and 2nd half of Bone Hill

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

In the past, when I exited the Candlekeep Library and before I exited Candlekeep to go to Baldur's Gate, I met Rhialto (Wild Mage) and Fabio (Bone Hill).  This time neither was there.  No real problem as I can skip these.  Just to let you know that there are a few more problems with conflicting mods.

Tom

#2 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

I experienced the same problem with BH. Just set the variable
BHQuestAccept to 8
and Fabio spawns immediately.
(I'm sure it's 9 as it was in my game. This prevents Fabio from spawning.)

#3 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Hi Shuv-Oohl:

Thanks for that information.  It fixed the problem.  I changed the Global Variable, BHQuestAccept to 8 and Fabio appeared.  I wonder what mod set it to 9.

Tom

#4 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Well, in fact it's an avalanche of things happening within a few seconds:

Typically BHQuestAccept is 5 when you're ready to finish the first part. You report Bomarcs death to Pelltar with the thieves hand in your inventory and
BHPell.dlg sets it to 6 and makes Fabio spawn.

His script BHFabio.bcs now triggers a second dialog file BFabio.dlg (not his usual BHFabio.dlg !) which makes him bid you farewell and changes the variable to 7.

That value fires a block in BHPell.bcs which sets it to 8 and teleports you to the Beregost temple (AR9302.are) where the quest started.

Here finally that area script AR9302.bcs sets the variable to 9.

And now the poser: who's the culprit?

#5 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

And now the poser: who's the culprit?
Well, the check for the value 8, and not a value above erhm 6 or 7... whahahahahah. :P

Edited by The Imp, 28 July 2014 - 05:49 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

Hi Shuv-Oohl and The Imp:

I have been playing Bone Hill many many times in mega-mod games without fatal errors.  This is the first time that this occurred.  I never get to finish a game because of other fatal crashes with the BGII - SoA section of BGT.  Every time I start a new mega-mod game, I use the latest mods.  Every new mega-mod game has fixed some old problems but always introduces new fatal problems.  Usually the "new" problems worked properly with the previous mods.

Computer programs should go through two processes called Verification and Validation.  In essence, you must prove the program did what it was intended to do and did it correctly while disallowing incorrect inputs.  That process is super difficult with mods because of the large number of them, but not impossible.

Also, many mod authors have their own opinion of how to play the game and they try to force it on the players.  This makes it difficult to install many mods without one interfering with another.

I still do not know what happened to Rhialto.  I think the author of that mod may be unhappy that someone else cause that mod not to work.

Tom

#7 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:49 AM

I have been playing Bone Hill many many times in mega-mod games without fatal errors.  This is the first time that this occurred.  I never get to finish a game because of other fatal crashes with the BGII - SoA section of BGT.  Every time I start a new mega-mod game, I use the latest mods.  Every new mega-mod game has fixed some old problems but always introduces new fatal problems.  Usually the "new" problems worked properly with the previous mods.
But can't you make a new installation without the BGT...

Computer programs should go through two processes
And those were in the old BWInstaller.bat... and by the by, just opening the weidu.log is one of those processes... you have to do it manually. If we were to say that all the variables etc need to be correctly coded and valid ... it would take 10 Million Dollars ... and I doubt that's a worthwhile cause.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#8 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hi The Imp:

I have played almost all the mods (except those that create NPCs) in regular BG games and had fun.  When BGT came out, I decided to play that.  However, I still have not completed a BGT game due to fatal errors.  I create my game with BWP and modify BiG World Install.bat for my game.  I have about 190 mods so I expect some problems, but hopefully not the kind that fatally crash the game.

I guess I will need to invest some time learning to create mods so I have a better understanding of what each mod does.  I am fairly good at programming, but at a lost for finding material that explains the rules for writing mods.  Suggestions would help, but in the meantime I will search for that information.

Tom

I just found all the information on modding.  Should keep me busy for a long, long time.

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 28 July 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#9 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hi The Imp:

I have played almost all the mods (except those that create NPCs) in regular BG games and had fun.  When BGT came out, I decided to play that.  However, I still have not completed a BGT game due to fatal errors.  I create my game with BWP and modify BiG World Install.bat for my game. 

That's the wrong approach today, the correct one is the BWS(.vbs).

And yeah, the weidu readme is all you really "need to know"... if you can internalize say 160 pages of data, which you need to conceptualize and construct to an intelligent instructions(as the page number grows when it's done, as a few phrases can be pages long instructions to do the same thing as before to a different file than before).

Edited by The Imp, 28 July 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#10 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

Hi The Imp:

Thanks for all the comments and advice.  I'll look up BWS(.vbs) and see what it does.

Tom