Photo

Djinni Companion Mod: Call for playtesters!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:41 AM

I've been working for some time on a mod that lets you tag along a djinni (as you can follow more closely in this thread). He is in dire need of help, is involved in several exciting quests, has lots of banters with your character and he joins your party in a very unusual way.

I think that he's now ready to be released into the wild. But a mod of this size needs to be thoroughly tested first. That's why I'm looking for playtesters. If anyone is interested in helping me out, just let me know by dropping me a PM or posting in this thread.

Djinni Companion Overview:
Spoiler

#2 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

Ok, before jumping into it, I've got some questions...

1- did you write the dialogue all for yourself? :P

2- I saw inside the "main" topic this post: http://www.shsforums...anion/?p=571012
What are the npcs you "suggest" to take for testing? I may go both evil and good path, I guess...

2.1 What are the mods that clashed with Afaaq? Should I take extra special care when installing some mods?

3- I apologize if I didn't help you before. I saw that you had uploaded a stripped version of the mod, but I didn't see it until now. ;)

4- I fear you'll have to wait a bit for testers, now that is august. I've got my exams in the next week, and as soon as I'm done I will help you :)

5- I'm happy for you! I'm happy for us players. :) Grats for your release!

Edited by Sergio, 12 August 2014 - 05:57 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#3 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

Ok, before jumping into it, I've got some questions...

1- did you write the dialogue all for yourself? :P

The majority of the dialogs are currently written for the protagonist only. I've also finished bits and pieces for a few NPCs (mostly interjections, but also some banters), but most of the stuff has to be written yet.

2- I saw inside the "main" topic this post: http://www.shsforums...anion/?p=571012
What are the npcs you "suggest" to take for testing? I may go both evil and good path, I guess...

Since djinns are generally good aligned, he will get along much smoother with a non-evil party. But it's also worthwhile to take him along with an evil protagonist. Several (nasty) options in his quests are only available for evil parties. At the moment he doesn't have much interaction with the Bioware and Overhaul NPCs yet, so he gets along just fine with everyone. That will change a bit when I'm adding more NPC content. (As a general rule: more evil = more trouble).

2.1 What are the mods that clashed with Afaaq? Should I take extra special care when installing some mods?

Up until now I've only found a single (and rather unknown) mod that is incompatible with the Djinni Companion. There are a few mods that have to be installed first to work correctly however. The current version is very mod-friendly in general.

3- I apologize if I didn't help you before. I saw that you had uploaded a stripped version of the mod, but I didn't see it until now. ;)

That version is already quite old. A lot of things have changed (I hope for the better).

4- I fear you'll have to wait a bit for testers, now that is august. I've got my exams in the next week, and as soon as I'm done I will help you :)

No worries, drop me a PM whenever you're ready. With luck you'll already see a final version by that time. :P

5- I'm happy for you! I'm happy for us players. :) Grats for your release!

Thanks! I'm also happy to have reached this stage. :) There were times I've almost given up.

#4 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:39 AM

Seems great.

ok, one more question.

1) How did you solve the "experience" stuff? I mean, the game is made for a party of 6. What about a party of 7? Do you think it will be alright?

The fact that you made evil options available really intrigues me. Well done.

I'm going to use an inquisitor for my next playthrough\maybe a good wizard slayer. We shall see.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#5 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

1) How did you solve the "experience" stuff? I mean, the game is made for a party of 6. What about a party of 7? Do you think it will be alright?

The djinni doesn't hog any XP, as he's technically not a real party member (from the game's perspective). He automatically levels up whenever the protagonist reaches a certain XP amount.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

Well, the game already has the Charname's Familiar... Imp of course. :devil: ...and the Haiass wolf, the 5 summons and the avatar(deva's, planetars etc)and the 60 000 demons we gated in...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#7 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Then it should be no problem at all to have another djinni in the party. The more the merrier. :D

#8 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

Neat realization. Well done.

#9 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

Why is his name "a fuck"

#10 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Only with a terrible accent.

#11 Thimblerig

Thimblerig
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

It downloaded and installed just fine.  I checked the Readme, and the mods it wanted installed earlier have been installed (well, earlier :) ). 

WeiDU Log is:

Spoiler

I'll be playing a Chaotic Good Half-Orc Swashbuckler, trying to romance Amber (I've never played with her so that should be interesting, too).  A couple of days to finish the game I'm currently playing, and Tally Ho!

#12 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for the Weidu.log. I've never fully tested it with SCS yet. That should be interesting.

#13 Thimblerig

Thimblerig
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

Is this the thread where you'd like feedback?  If so:

Spoiler

Have had fun so far :)

#14 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

Is this the thread where you'd like feedback?  If so:

Yes, either here or via PM. I'm in the middle of finding a more suitable place though.

Spoiler

Edited by Argent77, 14 August 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#15 Thimblerig

Thimblerig
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

Have been playing some more (just found, and used, the jade object).  General reaction:  Oooh...

Spoiler

Time to kick some Rakshasa shins, heh heh.

EDIT:

Can't find the last of the set of the things I need to collect.  Taking a break; it may become clear later.  Sorted.

Edited by Thimblerig, 15 August 2014 - 01:55 AM.

#16 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:30 AM

Spoiler

I'm looking forward for more.

#17 Thimblerig

Thimblerig
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

Not much to report, this time.  He's working seamlessly but I don't seem to have inspired his trust enough to talk about his people, his hopes, his aspirations, his favourite kind of doughnut...

Spoiler

Coming next - we're going to help Anomen with his family issues and then go into the sewers on behalf of the temples.  After that, we shall probably unwind at the circus.

Edited by Thimblerig, 17 August 2014 - 05:01 AM.

#18 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

Not much to report, this time.  He's working seamlessly but I don't seem to have inspired his trust enough to talk about his people, his hopes, his aspirations, his favourite kind of doughnut...

It'll take some time for him to open up to Charname.

Spoiler

Coming next - we're going to help Anomen with his family issues and then go into the sewers on behalf of the temples.  After that, we shall probably unwind at the circus.

He's got all kinds of interjections or comments in one situation or another. Tip: Let the djinni talk to the townsfolk.

#19 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

Mr. Argent77, it would be cool if you could share your beta with me. I guess that in three days I will start to play. ;) <<More details in the pm!>>

By the way, an everchanging link (in the case you are going to upload more than once the mod in the following three days, so I don't have to ask you a new link for the new version you uploaded in a new website) would be cool ;)

Edited by Sergio, 19 August 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#20 Thimblerig

Thimblerig
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

Ooh, he had a chat with a beggar.  Afaaq's a pretty sweet guy.

Alas, I ran into a bug:

Spoiler