Need advice selecting mods for BWP v14.2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

It has been easy to make a mega-mod game with BWP.  The problems are with the mods.  My guess is that many mods over write the code of other mods.  This causes the game to crash or requires on the fly fixes to keep the game playable.  Most of the problems I have had have been with the SoA portion of the game.  I have not been able to make it through SoA in quite a few years.

I am trying to make a mega-mod game following the outline in BWP v14.2.  Here are my concerns.

1)  It was a pain to find this mod. I did get the Diff_Tweak.txt file and changed it to Diff_tweak.exe.  I hope it works.  There were other files I found with similar names.  They are Diff_Tweak(1).exe, Diff_Tweak.exe, and Diff_Tweak.zip.  These files are 38KB while the Diff_Tweak.txt is 1438KB.  I checked each one with Notepad++ and I would not try to execute the 38KB files.  The Diff_Tweak.txt changed the icon when it was renamed Diff_Tweak.exe.  Checking it with 7-Zip showed it contained the files listed in BWP.

2)  Multistronghold (one word) is mod I could not find.  Searches with various programs only gave responses for Multi strongholds.  I would appreciate someone posting the URL of this file.

3)  Many mods have been updated since earlier versions were tested with BWP v14.2.  Some have only one component.  They are TeamBG Armor Pack v1.01, TeamBG Weapon Pack v1.01, Assassinations v9 and Lavalt! v2.1.  With the first three, I have later versions.  I assume since there is only one component, it would be safe to use the later versions.  With Lavalt!, I only have v2.2.  v2.1 was not available at the site.  Any suggestions or comments about using these later versions.

4)  Other mods have been updated since earlier versions were tested with BWP v14.2 and have multiple components.  They are:

1.13   Almateria's Restoration Project 6.4
7.1     The Vault v7.2
11.5   Every Mod and Dog v6
11.18 Tales of the Deep Gardens v9.3
11.19 Innershade v6.0
11.25 Eilistraee's Song v3.3
20.2   Big Picture v1.81
25.13 Ding0's Tweak Pack v20
25.20 aTweaks v4.03
25.26 Item Randomizer v6.7

I assume these mods were updated because of errors in them.  I also realize the BWP does fix errors in some of the mods.  So I am confused about which mods to use.  If I use a later mod, will the BWP fix mess me up?

Big Picture is a special problem.  There are 16 versions of Big Picture v181.  The kerzenburg site lists  Big Picture v181-4602.  I assume BWP also used that version, but I could be wrong.

If any one has any experience with BWP v14.2 and any of the listed mods, I would appreciate knowing which mods worked and which caused problems.

It usually takes five installs for me to get my edits and my mod choices and my component choices the way I want them for my game.  I am looking for information so I don't create a faulty game and do not find out about it until I have played it for 50 or more hours.

Thanks for any help or suggestions:

Tom

#2 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

Multistronghold mod is here.

BWP Fixpack doesn't mess newer version of mod it just skips that fix. Have fate on Lollorian he knows what he's doing. :D

I don't have any experience of BWP 14.0.2 (i'm still playing my BWP 13.0.1) but my advise is always use newest version of mods even if BWP uses older version.

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#3 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hi micbaldur:

Thanks for the information.  I will need to add the newer mods to my BGT game files.

I tried using BWP v14.2.  Ouch, much different than v14,1.  Too many choices, but not the choice I want.

Tom