• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nocat

Nocat
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Usually I just follow the procedures listed here:

http://www.shsforums...ngreinstalling/

And I can reinstall. However, with the new 14.2 install selection process, it is telling me the following:

S E R V I C E S
                                IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

You have already installed the megamod. You may not run this tool again
      for installation because there ist a high risk that the changes you
      want to do will fail.

If you are unhappy with your mod selection please install from scratch
      instead.

You can however run this tool again for service purposes.
      What do you want to do:

[1]   exit this tool?
[2]   make a change-log?
[3]   list the components of a mod?
[4]   traify a mod?
[5]   delete no longer needed files?

Please enter 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5

I am not sure how to cleanly reinstall now. Thank you for any help.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Usually...

I am not sure how to cleanly reinstall now. Thank you for any help.

Well, see you are using a .bat file that doesn't allow you to reinstall... so your best option is to just push the 1, then either uninstall the game completely and then clear the game folder from the mod files and then reinstall everything, or if you have a back up made from a clean game just delete the game folder and then start from the beginning.

The BWS has a far more sophisticated system that allows a minimal backup(few hundred Mb's), and allows restart from it.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Nocat

Nocat
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

I was trying to avoid having to unzip every mod (quite a bit) but I guess thats no longer an option anymore.

#4 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

If you delete BiG World Project.installed, the batch will continue as always...
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:45 AM

If you delete BiG World Project.installed, the batch will continue as always...

Yeah, but the consequences of that would be baaaad, if you don't also skip the mods that have already been installed, if the though is to just continue from a given point, and if Nocat tries to install new mods that are in between the already installed mods, trying to do that can very much destroy the install order and all the other things that spawn from it. And Nocat didn't say that he wanted to continue... so I expect him/her to want to restart the whole install from the start, which is what a .bat file simply cannot do.. well unless you want to remaster the whole file to allow it, and I don't see a how to even do it even then.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:24 AM

Did you read the link about uninstalling?

#7 Nocat

Nocat
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:02 PM

I have always followed the link and it worked fine before v14.

But I will do as you say, Jarno. Thanks for the help guys.

#8 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:41 AM

I meant Jarno.

#9 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm getting this same message from the big world install.bat ... slightly different situation.

I accidently did a "Recommended" BWS install and the game was too small for my taste. I uninstalled BG2 and reinstalled it to the same folder it was in before, which contained my downloaded mod files because I wanted to save time later on... the mods would be included, I just wanted more mods installed.

Lo and behold, the install.bat somehow remembers that i have an Installation (despite it's impossible, the game was gone).

- deleting the *.installed files does not help.

- deleting or overwriting the fixpack + installpack + textpack does not help.

- running clean-up.bat does not help.

anyone? my bet is the Windows registry, which would mean even a complete deletion will not help me.

how do i get the install.bat to do what it is meant to do again? I do not feel like diving through all the variables and crossreferences listed there.

#10 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

Remove BiG World Project.installed and BWP_Install_started.nul.

#11 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

anyone?

Well you made a big mess and you need to redo the whole thing, but first you might consider cutting the downloaded files, the .rar's, .zip's, .7z and some of the .exe's to an actual download folder that's not inside the game folder !!!!!!!!!!!!
Then uninstall the game again and delete the game folder and reinstall the game back, then run the BiG World Setup and then it's fine from there on when you direct it's download folder to the folder you moved the archives.
By the by, the game folder usually doesn't contain any of the mods you download, just the actual install files ... so you might as well just uninstall the game and delete the files in that folder. And restart, from a clear table.
The weidu mods that all the BG2 mods are cannot be uninstalled by just uninstalling the game, they need to be erased from the game folder before you reinstall the game. READ THIS !

Edited by The Imp, 10 December 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#12 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

The mess was just one file, and I got it now. It's the Big World Debug.txt which is a log of your last Installation. If this file is present, the install.bat will not install anymore but go to Service mode.

Summary:

- delete Big World Debug.txt

- delete WeiDu.log

- delete *.installed

- clear override and data of any file having a Change date of your BWP Installation time (assuming a complete Deinstallation and Re-Installation in front.)

-> good to go.

Edited by Bloodtitan, 10 December 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#13 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

- clear override ... of any file having a Change date of your BWP Installation time

And what if that file is from the original install files ?

It's far easier to utilize the backup tools and delete folders etc than go file by file. Which is why the BWS has the backup procedure etc. Ahh well whatever.

#14 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

I really don't know where to find your pick about BiG World Debug.txt. Do you use the current one (14.3)?
%IFN% "BiG World Project.installed" %IFN% "BWP_Install_started.nul" goto :STARTINS
Call ".\%BWIP%\service.bat"
goto :EXIT
:STARTINS
Call ".\%BWIP%\config.bat"
Otherwise: Whatever.

Also make sure you get those files for the override. As said by the imp: there are like 1k files that are in there by default in an unmodded game.

#15 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, don't worry. Installation is running fine now as we chat. You don't get a member number on these forums as low as mine without learning how to dominate resisting megamod installations :P

#16 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:32 AM

And what if that file is from the original install files ?
It's far easier to utilize the backup tools and delete folders etc than go file by file. Which is why the BWS has the backup procedure etc. Ahh well whatever.

Jarno :)
I did have a BWS Backup, just had forgotten about it. But consider: If I reinstall into the same Location as before, any original bg2 file modyfied by mods will be overwritten and have a Change date of your reinstallation time. The files left having a Change date of your BWS Installation time can only be mod-exclusive files and have nothing to do with a running bg2 core Installation.

Looking forward to game again cause I left out the "classic" megamod Content this time, like SOS, TDD and what was cool back in the day :P

#17 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

The files left having a Change date of your BWS Installation time can only be mod-exclusive files and have nothing to do with a running bg2 core Installation.
The thing is, like I and dabus have tried to say, the game has original files in the override folder in the vanilla patched BG2:SoA+ToB game, in fact 770 of them, and thus trying to patch it together from an install files and the files that have not been modified by a mod, which is slim pickings at best... the restoring from a BWS backup is 10 seconds to 2 minute job, it will do everything as it needs to and it's a guaranteed to work perfectly with what ever mods you have previously installed, as it erases all their traces. IT IS the best, or at least as near the best as you can get.
You don't get a member number on these forums as low as mine without learning how to dominate resisting megamod installations :P
This just means that you have just missed 10000 posts of mine ... and you are likely thus also missed great facts about how the install works on this generation of BWS. I have too...

Edited by The Imp, 11 December 2014 - 02:16 AM.

#18 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:03 AM

Almost :) Megamodding BG2 since before we had shiny installation scripts and supervising programs. But that's what helps me now. My mindset always is know how the machine works, not know how to work with the machine.

#19 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hi Nocat:

I will probably get comments about this, but here goes.  I am not a fan of BWP 14.2.  Had a lot of problems trying to install it.  So, I went back to BWP 14.1, but modified BiG World Install.bat v14.1.  I used the install order from BiG World Install.bat v14.2.  I also used Widescreen v3.06.  I am in Baldur's Gate (over 100 hours) and have not had any errors or crashes.  I have ~190 mods added to the game.  I am very pleased with these results.  I hope Shadows of Amn is just as good.  I can not determine if it was the order of mod install or the latest version of Widescreen which improved the game and fix all the previous minor bugs in Baldur's Gate.  I usually have many minor bugs in Baldur's Gate which are annoying but allow the game to be played.

I have not seen BWP 14.3 or played the game recently.  About three weeks ago the area got 6.5 feet of snow in 30 hours.  5.5 feet came over night.  So I have been busy removing snow and getting some minor house damage repaired.  I should get back to the game soon.

Tom