Photo

installation help? bgt megamod

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

Okay, now I'm a little confused on how to go about installing… sorry for new thread but...

Does/should Installpack.bat be following directions of the .pdf? Or is there something I need to do/edit with it (either) first?

I've no idea how I did it but once had a game working BGT and letting me pick if wanted to start from like BG1. Unfortunately that has long since been lost. due to the (external) drive likely corrupting directory. (ugh, computers at times)

and curiously, now whenever install/reinstall SoA+ToB cleanly on ingame options the SoA symbol's now ToB's when it was before on SoA's even with ToB installed. patched or not.

Could it be my discs somehow are a bit bad?

Aha_Sig.png

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:44 AM

Does/should Installpack.bat be following directions of the .pdf?
Well the answer is kinda: yeah.

The BiG World Setup.vbs today partially overwrites the BiG World Install.bat, cause it can do things better(is able to download and extract stuff) and be more up to date and so forth.
Now the reason I told the above is that the BWP .pdf file doesn't account any of the automation(by multiple of .bat's and the over all .vbs), so when the .pdf says at a point that "you have got to copy this and that file to the mods folder", it's actually done by the BiG World Fixpack.bat or one of the fixes it uses during the installation process, all of which is set to action by the the BiG World Install.bat(, well actually the BiG World Setup.vbs). Some of those fixes are actual weidu mods, but some are not. Now there's also the BiG World Textpack.bat(for each language), and BiG World Trimpack.bat . These are used all simultaneously/one after another by the BiG World Install.bat(, well again actually the BiG World Setup.vbs).

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:54 AM

The BiG World Setup.vbs today partially overwrites the BiG World Install.bat, cause it can do things better(is able to download and extract stuff) and be more up to date and so forth.

Except when links are broken/dead… or archive not complete/corrupted. my internet has limit on like 10gb/m so… but there is a free-time zone.

Anyways, whats the most recent versions of Setup, Install…etc? :unsure:

Hmm… for the most part I do want to play multiple runs megamod BGT with most mods… ^_^ I generally do have the wanted mods folders, .tp2, setup.exe in game directory but not installed of course with clean.

Going to try a cleanerer install, already have char made BG1 and backed up anyways. Uh, silly me left disc in drive on an mod install attempt :blush: . Well, a previous attempt auto-ejected disc there.  :ermm:

Aha_Sig.png

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:41 AM

Anyways, whats the most recent versions of Setup, Install…etc? :unsure:
It's the bws_20141015.exe from here. Well, actually there could be an update that gets applied when the program is ran.
Hmm… for the most part I do want to play multiple runs megamod BGT with most mods… ^_^ I generally do have the wanted mods folders, .tp2, setup.exe in game directory but not installed of course with clean.
For BWS, you want to keep the original downloaded file archives(.exe, .rar, .zip, .7z etc.) because the program asks for a download folder to where it downloads the files to if they are not there, so not the actual mod files in the game folder.

Now, if the hard drive you plan to play from is an external hard drive, it's going to give you a lots of problems, because the connector read/write speed is going to be the limiting factor, no the computers processor speed. My advice is to get a PC that has a large enough hard drive to enable to make the install(BG1, BG2 + mods on the same drive), and then move the game to the external hard drive when the installation has been completed, and then play it as usual. This will of course require you to do a minor edit to the baldur.ini file in the moved game folder, to switch the drive letter in the [Alias] portion, and you probably want to test this feature before you make the actual BWS install, so you know exactly how it works.

Edited by The Imp, 30 October 2014 - 02:43 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

Right now however the external drive; to be more specific: Seagate Freeagent Goflex, currently has the most space available.

Only issues I've had with setup is sometimes it can't get whichever mod it looking for, or maybe somehow for some reason the mod's file is named differently from what Setup looks for when installing mega mods. Or doesn't detect/install a mod I do want.

Sometimes it try downloading mod thats already there,….

Aha_Sig.png

#6 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

1. I'd try running a a native Windows if you still have problems running an emulator .
2. The installpack seems to have more options like installing files by selecting "themes", but you can also try to install by the mods you want to have by editing the individual.bat.
You can also tell the batch to install mods manually (you select the components you want).
But it seems like some people had problems using the last version of the installpack.
3. Info Install: The BWS does use the Install.bat as role model (which is the best way/sequence to install all the mods) - but it does not modify the batch to install mods.
All it ever did in the past years was editing the BG1-path for the BGT-installation and then launch the batch (if batch-install was selected). As soon as you were able to select components a few years ago, the batch is never launched. If you did select to use the batch-install nowadays, you will not have those component-options and the batch will just be launched - no editing.
4. Info Download: You can select to skip the download if you can provide the mods. Just select that as the download-option. So your modem-line will have less problems in your case. You can also use the BWS to fetch a list of the downloads URLs you need (in case you need that).

Edited by dabus, 30 October 2014 - 11:45 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#7 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

Well I do have a computer or two running windows 7, I think one has or had issues running BG series, mod less. even with the compatibility tab options. The other likely doesn't have enough space for BGT megamod install.
Neither's currently hooked up however.

Aha_Sig.png

#8 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:43 AM

Looking at Setup.vbs choices, well I don't see on list for example Sarevok Romance, though I do see his Friendship one. Thus I'm kinda preferring Install.bat at the moment, really do want to check out that mod first/preferably to the Friendship one.

Other thing is with setup sometimes it look for modname.rar when I have it .zip or .exe, or its different version from one it lookin' for. Just and example.

Edit: My computers are apparently known to temp graphic glitch on things though sort themselves out quickly.

Edit2: Setup.vbs test link availability says:
BG1 Unfinished Business
http://kerzenburg.ba...13-2_140924.zip
bg1ub[]= NA
Fetching update-site to try auto-updating the links...
Archive is missing.

Edited by Anchev, 31 October 2014 - 02:26 AM.

Aha_Sig.png

#9 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

Use the search box on the upper right, Sarevok Romance is in there, just listed as BG2 npc related and not as BG2 npc, so it's in another tree.
If you like to have yours listed like in the PDF, you can use that view (just have a look at the options menu),

As said, you can skip the download and when the BWS tells you that mods are missing, feed the BWS with the other packages you have.
It will accept the mods that are in the download-folder and fit without further messages.

Edited by dabus, 31 October 2014 - 07:17 AM.

#10 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

Hello, so I just got this:

bwserror.png

Z:/ is my main Mac's desktop where I can access fine from my VM.

Edit: On reopenning Setup it says this

bwserrr.png

Attached Files

Edited by Anchev, 31 October 2014 - 10:33 PM.

Aha_Sig.png

#11 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:49 AM

Your selection has breached a limit of 500 downloads...
Open Z:\Desktop\bws_20141015\BiG World Setup\Includes\05_Basics.au3 with a text-editor (notepad or something) and edit line 83:

Old:
Local $InstSize[500][4]

New:
Local $InstSize[$Setups[0][0]*3][4]

This way the limit is removed (in that place) and the crash should be avoided,
The limit was set a few years ago because it seemed like a reasonable limit above the number of mods that were available and because I was lazy.

Edited by dabus, 01 November 2014 - 01:08 AM.

#12 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:41 AM

Your selection has breached a limit of 500 downloads...
Open Z:\Desktop\bws_20141015\BiG World Setup\Includes\05_Basics.au3 with a text-editor (notepad or something) and edit line 83:

Old:
Local $InstSize[500][4]

New:
Local $InstSize[$Setups[0][0]*3][4]

This way the limit is removed (in that place) and the crash should be avoided,
The limit was set a few years ago because it seemed like a reasonable limit above the number of mods that were available and because I was lazy.

Opened with notepad, umm...

here:

; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Func _FileSearch($p_Dir, $p_String)
Local $Return[1] = [0]
$Search = FileFindFirstFile($p_Dir&'\'&$p_String)  
If $Search = -1 Then Return SetError(1, 0, $Return)
$Ubound=1000
Local $Return[$Ubound]
While 1
$File = FileFindNextFile($Search) 
If @error Then ExitLoop
If $File = '.' Or $File = '..' Then ContinueLoop
        If $Ubound=$Return[0]+10 Then 
$Ubound+=1000
ReDim $Return[$Ubound]
EndIf
$Return[0]+=1
$Return[$Return[0]]=$File
WEnd
FileClose($Search)
ReDim $Return[$Return[0]+1]
Return SetError(0, 0, $Return)
EndFunc    ;==>_FileSearch

; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Searches for files with a certain pattern and deletes these
Func _FileSearchDelete($p_Dir, $p_String, $p_Attrib='F')
$Search = FileFindFirstFile($p_Dir&'\'&$p_String)  
If $Search = -1 Then Return
While 1
$File = FileFindNextFile($Search) 
If @error Then ExitLoop
If $File = '.' Or $File = '..' Then ContinueLoop
        If StringInStr(FileGetAttrib($p_Dir&'\'&$File), $p_Attrib) Then
If $p_Attrib = 'D' Then DirRemove($p_Dir&'\'&$File, 1)
If $p_Attrib = 'F' Then FileDelete($p_Dir&'\'&$File)
EndIf
WEnd
FileClose($Search)
EndFunc    ;==>_FileSearchDelete

Aha_Sig.png

#13 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:50 AM

End of the _FileSearchDelete-function should be line 75. So go down a bit or just search for $InstSize...

#14 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:16 AM

Thanks found it now. :)

Setup's working now for the time being.

Aha_Sig.png

#15 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

Question, am I supposed to launch BGMain or Baldur.exe or something else when mods/setup finished installing?

Also, am I supposed to be able to select if want to start soa, bg1, or will/should it automatically go to bg1 portion after a certain point like say Irenicus's dungeon?

Aha_Sig.png

#16 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:41 AM

Question, am I supposed to launch BGMain or Baldur.exe or something else when mods/setup finished installing?
Also, am I supposed to be able to select if want to start soa, bg1, or will/should it automatically go to bg1 portion after a certain point like say Irenicus's dungeon?
The BGMain.exe should be used to start the game, the baldur.exe start the game made front end program and that's usually bad approach to starting the game as they just waste resources as they just start the game with BGMain.exe anyway, ... if the game is correctly registered.
Now opening up the weidu.log file with Notepad gives you the list of mods you have actually installed.

Also the BG1 starts from the in game menus if you follow the usual starting of the new game in BG2, if the BGT - weidu is installed. You'll ~"stand before the Candlekeep inn" "ready to purchase" the items needed for the trip. Or how ever the intro said it. Yes, it should also play the BG1 starting movies. Also if you have installed any of the GUI mods, the menu names might be off, as they are part of the menu art.
The BG2 can be started from the menu too, it's where the tutorial usually is placed in the original game.

#17 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:30 AM

Noticed "not installed.txt" so yea its skipping every selected for some reason...

Edit: posting troubles.

here's latest old .txts:
 Latest-old because have fresh SoA/ToB install.

Attached Files

• Attached File  txts.zip   39.49K   182 downloads

Edited by Anchev, 02 November 2014 - 01:35 AM.

Aha_Sig.png

#18 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:11 AM

Seems like the installation of the patches via BiG World Smoothpack is just the last thing it is doing. What can you see on your screen? Does it do more than that? What's the installation type you selected? Filtered, individual or something else? Maybe there's a little bug in the BiG World Install.bat.

By the way: If nothing is installed (check the WeiDU.log) and it just went through with the patching, you can run the install over and over again. You don't have to restart from zero. And if you got all the mods, you could make a copy of your folder so you don't have to go through the process until that point.

Edited by dabus, 02 November 2014 - 02:41 AM.

#19 Anchev

Anchev
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

If I remember it generally just says installation finished/successful (both BWSetup.vbs/Install.bat), but on launching game of course it's not.

Lemme try manually placing mods' .tp2s and such in directory then try the Install.bat. Since BWS apparently having some trouble anyways.

Edit: First actually lets see what BWS says.

Edited by Anchev, 02 November 2014 - 02:29 AM.

Aha_Sig.png

#20 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:54 AM

I guess I don't need the BWS info if the BWP says files are there and does a bunch of patching via BiG World Fixpack and so on and does not throw up errors every time, it's save to assume that the files are where they should be. At least it should install some mods.

If you look at the BiG World Install..bat and the files it uses and compare them to your Debug.txt, the last thing it does is running the BiG World Smoothpack.bat, then (maybe) copies tisunpack.exe and then it should do the rest of line 465 to the end of the BiG World Installpack\Config.bat.
When it has done that, the script goes back at line 85 in BiG World Installpack.bat and it should start a process.at, compilation.bat or individual.bat. All start with a hint that you install mods of the branch "CORRECTIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS" and there's no such info in your BiG World Debug.txt.
After the install, it's back at BiG World Install.bat, line 98 and tells you about missing mods.

So I dare so say it's save to assume that the BiG World Install.bat had in between line 465 and line 100 in the BiG World Install.bat on your computer or has a bug in the script.

Edit: If I got it right, your selection (saved in BWP-settings.txt) should be InstQ.
If it is (and I didn't miss something), the script should behave as it has and do... no install at all since the action for InstQ is not defined in the batch-file.

Edited by dabus, 02 November 2014 - 03:04 AM.