Photo

New areas for IE games - Other Sources

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Does anyone know how to extract the tilesets off the games Arcanum and templ of Elemental evil? both by Troika, both very awesome and with gorgeous 2D art.

Oh, I would also love to get them off Lionheart Crusader, Ruins of Myth Drannor, Kult Heretic Kingdoms and Sacred 1 Gold, if anyone knows how.

Of course, I will share them all if I am successful.

Edited by Dark_Ansem, 04 November 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#2 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

http://www.shsforums...cting-the-maps/

As I recall, I extracted a lot of the maps from Lionheart for Classic Adventures. I ended up modifying the area scripts to remove the creatures, animations, etc and then assembled the maps from screenshots. Give me a day or so and I'll see what I can dig up.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#3 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

http://www.shsforums...cting-the-maps/

As I recall, I extracted a lot of the maps from Lionheart for Classic Adventures. I ended up modifying the area scripts to remove the creatures, animations, etc and then assembled the maps from screenshots. Give me a day or so and I'll see what I can dig up.

Thanks a lot :)

I guess none of these game, with the possible exception of Sacred, is structured like the IE games, where everything is painted?

Edited by Dark_Ansem, 04 November 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#4 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

Does anyone know how to extract the tilesets off the games Arcanum and templ of Elemental evil? both by Troika, both very awesome and with gorgeous 2D art.

Oh, I would also love to get them off Lionheart Crusader, Ruins of Myth Drannor, Kult Heretic Kingdoms and Sacred 1 Gold, if anyone knows how.

Of course, I will share them all if I am successful.

Pool of Radiance:  Ruins of Myth Drannor

Here are my full scale maps from Pool of Radiance:  Ruins of Myth Drannor.  Beware a large file size of 1.49GB! This should contain all of the areas in the game at the original size (proportionally much larger than the areas in BG), reconstructed as accurately as I could. It took a lot of work... If you want I can upload all of the "tiles" that the dungeon areas are composed of. They can be arranged to create custom dungeons quite easily :) .

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

On Lionheart Maps, Extracted graphical components that comprise Lionheart Maps

Attached File  LionheartInteriors1through18.rar   5.01MB   205 downloads

Attached File  LionheartBarcelonaCathedral.rar   1.5MB   212 downloads

The Temple of Elemental Evil

Notes on extracting Tilesets from ToEE

The rest of the stuff I might have extracted from Lionheart will be buried on an external harddrive and the private CA Forums, so it will take me a little more time to dig up.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#5 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:24 AM

Hello, and many thanks :) must be me birthday!

what's CA?

well, they're yours. I won't upload them without permission.

Let me make a rundown of the various games...

Arcanum: lower quality than I expected

Lionheart: much higher than I expected. excellent.

Sacred Gold: mmm, mixed opinion. it's similar to Arcanum.

Kult: doesn't work on my rig for some reason.

PoR: Wow. now these are very pretty. Only thing I can say is that interiors can feel a bit barren and empty, those dungeon-like corridors. the exteriors, on the other hand, are superb.

are they all the maps available within the game?

Inquisitor, Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are off the board, because their tilesets are a mixture of interior\exterior.

Edited by Dark_Ansem, 05 November 2014 - 01:44 AM.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:51 AM

what's CA?
It's Classic Adventures Total Conversion mod... a good one at that, and it's huge which actually makes it even better. You might have noticed Sam. has a huge banner on his signature about it.
It used a few of the resources here, but you are totally free to use them in your own project as long as you won't sell the end product.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#7 -Creepin unplugged-

-Creepin unplugged-

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:53 AM

Hey Dark_Ansem, have you looked at lesser known titles like Golden Land or Gorasul? I've never heard of anyone attempting to rip areas from those and lack technical knowledge to try it myself, but I believe they got some tiles or random doodads that might be of use for BG modding.

#8 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

what's CA?
It's Classic Adventures Total Conversion mod... a good one at that, and it's huge which actually makes it even better. You might have noticed Sam. has a huge banner on his signature about it.
It used a few of the resources here, but you are totally free to use them in your own project as long as you won't sell the end product.

lol I am dumb. I thought it was another forum!

well, I didn't know those titles. Golden land however seems to have the same issue of Divine Divinity. But, if you make a list, I'll see what I can dig up, are they on GOG?

#9 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:14 AM

lol I am dumb. I thought it was another forum!
Well not that much, the Classic Adventure has a hidden developer sub-forum normal users can't access to. It's nothing too fancy... or so I believe.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#10 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:37 AM

Downloading now, and will check.

Thanks for permission, I will try to post one of my texture experiments soon :P

The Temple of Elemental evil thread does not provide an answer, tho.

Which is a shame, because they are quite nice, even if a bit weirder than I thought.

I have to say one thing tho, most of them look different from the IE style, except Lionheart. 

I wonder, are there any photoshop methods that could be used to "unify" the image style, make it less different with each other? like a filter, or something?

Edited by Dark_Ansem, 05 November 2014 - 02:00 AM.

#11 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:25 AM

any updates on this, anyone?

I wonder, would Diablo qualify as a good tileset resource?

Edited by Dark_Ansem, 15 November 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#12 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:48 AM

I wonder, would Diablo qualify as a good tileset resource?

Which D... 1, 2 or 3 ? My personal opinion is that the 2's tile sets in the old Classic Adventure looked really nice in it(the picture is massively reduced in size, and as I don't have a picture stored that's all I can show up).

Mistmoor%20Manor%201.jpg

The aspect ratio and height of the buildings compared to the creatures in BG2 and so on looked good and there was no blurring, but I only looked at the end results, and have terrible eyes to look at things.

#13 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:22 AM

Diablo 1 and 2. AFAIK diablo 3 uses real 3d environments?

#14 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:43 AM

AFAIK diablo 3 uses real 3d environments?
Meh... let's not make a really big deal out of this... :devil: ...but even pong has a 3d game environment, the pixel moves(time, the first dimension) up/down(the second, horizontal dimension) and left/right(third, the vertical dimension), what you are talking is the camera angle and perspective, which are not actual dimensions, but simulation representatives on a 3d display. Yep, the 3d classes try to actually bring you the 4th dimension, with addition of the simulation data and the location you are perceiving the spectacle from, still on a 3d display. They just forgot to add the time as the first dimension for whatever reason. I guess it wasn't that important at first, when things viewed were statistic, and the computing power was limited. And essentially the classes function is not tied to the time, so it can be taken out of the system to simplify it.

#15 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:17 AM

so in theory also D3 environments could work?

Lords of Xulima has pretty amazing art too.

Edited by Dark_Ansem, 15 November 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#16 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

so in theory also D3 environments could work?

Yes, you can actually pretty much use any game environments you wish, as long as you can convert it to a proper file format... actually some of the more artsy people use 3D modeling as the base from which to pull resources into games. A link to a ~tutorial about it.

This also means that you could in theory make a Mass Effect in BG2 game, using the in game resources... . Theoretically. :devil:

#17 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Where's the "like" button?

although I don't understand a lot of what this means :P I have to extract an entire 3d scene?

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

I have to extract an entire 3d scene?

Well, first you have to make the entire 3d scene(in 3d studio max for example, and no the time is not the 3rd dimension so there's no moving parts), then you render a tileset out of it by taking a 2d "picture" from it in the program. Could be a useful link.

Edited by The Imp, 15 November 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#19 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

thanks for another link :) and yet, I still feel a bit confused. the picture would also need to be extremely big\rescaled.