Photo

Aerie cannot take more that three steps.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

Everything was going OK until I picked up Aerie.  Aerie does not move well.  She goes three steps and the stops.  I suspected a piece of her equipment.  I stripped Aerie of everything.  She still only goes 3 steps and stops.  I put Boots of speed on her.  With the boots she goes fast, but only for three, six or nine steps.  The order is random.

Simultaneously, if I put the cursor on a picture of any character, the sound that indicates the stats pages are opening, cycles.  Clicking on the right mouse button opens the stats pages without further problems.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to fix Aerie's movements?   I have not got into any fights with her present in the group so I do not know how she will react.  She does cast spells.  A search did not turn up anything (but then I always do not use the best words).

Setup:

Windows 7 in Bootcamp on an iMAC

My UAC is turned off

Disk has been cleaned of useless files

Disk has been defragged

AV has been disabled

NI (which I really do not know how to use) did not show any "movement rate"

Baldur.log and Baldur.err do not give any indication of any problem.

Thanks for any help, 

Tom

My apologies:  I do not know how I double posted.  Please remove one.

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 07 November 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#2 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

Did you try Jarnos MM FAQ?
Removing her from the party, killing her and revive, lstest to see if dialogues do not trigger because of some glitches...
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#3 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:05 AM

the sotpping means that she has to speak but can't for a reason. You installed BP Ascension, am I wrong ?

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:20 AM

the sotpping means that she has to speak but can't for a reason. You installed BP Ascension, am I wrong ?

If you noticed, what dabus advices tomkaz to do removes every doubt in the world... as when the LStest mod is installed like said in my MMFAQ, tomkaz will be able to see what script and which block is run when ever aerie stops on her tracks, because the PC says those facts in the dialog box, yes it takes a bit of detective work as there will probably be a bit more than one print out to eliminate, but far less than "this component is in my mind bad, let's go an blame it for all the things that could be off even if it's not at all responsible."

Because after the script and block has been identified, he can just start the Near Infinity, open up the Search -> Text Search -> BCS - and then type the result that he got in the dialog box. This will identify the file that needs to be opened and allow him to do so after selecting it in the search result box. Then he can copy paste the files content from the IF above to the END below in that single script block.

After that it's just a typical -what's wrong with this script portion to remove the bad effect moding that plenty of people can help ... and then he just needs to first go to uninstall the LStest mod, then adds the needed checks or correction to the script that aerie uses and tomkaz should be able to find next time in the bcs box. Then he can just continue to playing the game... without uninstalling any mods, as the "this component ..." approach would lead to. Tomkaz then could --change-log the .bcs file to find out what mod is responsible of the change and report it, but that's more detective work.

@Sergio: Can you see how your advice can lead people to -ah, there's nothing I can do. We're all doomed.

Edited by The Imp, 08 November 2014 - 08:07 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

Thank you dabus, Sergio, and The Imp.

I did kill her and revived her, but it did not fix the problem.

Searched for 'Ascension' in WeiDU.log.  It was not found.

It looks like I am going to learn a lot more about how mods work and how to fix them.  One thing I forgot to include was that when I try to save the game, I get a lot of "Cannot save game while in dialog mode".  Apparently this was important, but you still were able to diagnose the problem.  Very good work on your part.

I will follow the instructions and report any progress.

Thanks again,

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 08 November 2014 - 06:15 AM.

#6 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

I downloaded LStest and copied the folder LStest and the file Setup-LStest.exe to my game folder.  I ran LStest and here are the results:

In the folder ...BGII - SoA/LStest/backup/1

ARGS.1
ARGS.1.TEXT
II_MISC4R.BCS
MAPPINGS.1
MOVE.1
OTHER.1
READLN.1
READLN.1.TEXT
TLKPATH.1
UNINSTALL.1

There is only one BCS file.  Opened NI and Search --> Text --> BCS --> II_MISC4R.BCS

I got two hits:

II_MISC4R.BCS ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,872290)) // Running block 0 of II_MISC4R.BCS Line 6 
II_MISC4R.BCS ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,872291)) // Running block 1 of II_MISC4R.BCS Line 16

I went back to NI and on the left hand side it listed 11127 BCS files.  Look for II_MISC4R.BCS and it was not in the list.  (I also looked for MISC4R.BCS and it is not in the list.)

When LStest started, It said there were 11128 files.    NI and LStest do not agree on the number of BCS files.

I searched the mod files I used in this mega-mod game.  There was no II_MISC4R.BCS file.  I searched my windows 7 installation.   There was no II_MISC4R.BCS file.  So I do not know what is working.

I have NI v1.33 Beta 20.  I also downloaded the latest version of NI.  NI v1.33 Beta 20 has a file NearInfinity.JAR that opens the program.  The latest version has a file NearInfinity.JAVA which I assume opens the program, but this does not work for me.  I have the latest version of Java (32 bit)   Windows 7 is 64 bit.  What do I need to  do to get the latest version of NI working?

Thanks again,

Tom

#7 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:15 PM

I downloaded LStest and copied the folder LStest and the file Setup-LStest.exe to my game folder.  I ran LStest and here are the results:

In the folder ...BGII - SoA/LStest/backup/1

When we ask you to install and use the LStest mod, you are not supposed to look what it does, but start the game, load the save and play as normal and reproduce the result of the bug "  Aerie does not move well.  She goes three steps and the stops." And find out what the dialog box says on what's happening in the game... and more than that what block is been run during the exact second that stops Aerie from moving.

The LStest mod is a debug tool useable only in game.

Also you might want to open up the "setup-LStest.debug" file with Notepad and copy paste the text to a post.

Edited by The Imp, 08 November 2014 - 12:20 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#8 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

Before I read your post, I reran LStest.  This time 10,000+ files.

I started the game.  Played for a few seconds.  Immediately Aerie was in her three step mode.  Made five moves so she was well behind the party.

Attached is the Setup-LStest.Debug file.

Attached File  SETUP-LSTEST.DEBUG   1.76MB   321 downloads

Nothing in the Baldur.err or Baldur.log files had comments about this problem.

Thanks again for all the help,

Tom

#9 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

So does the dialog box say anything when Aerie stops ? As a matter of fact, your character(the Bhallspawn) should stop and say what happens around him, aka:

Charname- Running block 3 of BALDUR.BCS

Ouh, and make sure the lantern at the corner of the interface is "burning". It shouldn't matter.

#10 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

When I start the game with LStest in it, I get the following messages:

Thornton- Running block 42 of AR0700.BCS

Thornton- Running block 45 of AR0700.BCS

Thornton- Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS

Thornton- Running block 17 of DW#2FMG8.BCS

Thornton- Running block 42 of AR0700.BCS

Thornton- Running block 45 of AR0700.BCS

Thornton- Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS

Thornton- Running block   0 of M#RUAD.BCS

Thornton- Running block 12 of DW#2GCL7.BCS

Thornton- Running block 1077 of BALDUR.BCS

Thornton- Running block   0 of M#RUAD.BCS

Thornton- Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS

I think there is enough to show the three line pattern.

I do have a clean backup of my game, so I can repeat anything that is needed.  I will do another with the lantern on as it was off during the original test.

Thornton is my main character.

Thanks again,

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 08 November 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#11 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

So it's likely to be the

Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS -that is makes Aerie to not able to walk.

Now you just got to go open the BCS folder in NI, fine the AERIE.BCS file, and scroll it down until you see this:

ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS))

-at one of the lines, find the first IF up from that line... and then click on the text and drag the the mouse pointer until you see the fist END after the line, and then right click, it gives you "copy", after which you can paste it to a .txt file or forum-whatever, as you need to post it here. :D

Edited by The Imp, 08 November 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#12 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

Bad news.  I did not find that line in the AERIE.BCS file.  So I did a text search for ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS)) in all the BCS files.  NI said it does not exist.

I guess it should be somewhere, but I my search says it is not in any BCS file.  Perhaps the BCS file is missing?

NI lists two warning with AERIE.BCS.  They are:

1) 20: Resource not found: S:ResRef* - "Chapter"

2) 31: Resource not found: S:ResRef* - "Chapter"

I also did a text search for "block 21" in BCS files.  NI reported none was found.

Six errors in AR0700.  All are the same.  Numbers from 123: to 128:  The error is:

123: Invalid area string: S.AREA* - "ardem"

I am lost,

Tom

#13 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

I searched all the extracted but not installed mods that are in my mega-mod game.  I found the following files:

o1Aerie.bcs

o2Aerie.bcs

03Aerie.bcs

n1Aerie.bcs

n2Aerie.bcs

n3Aerie.bcs

I did not find an Aerie.bcs file.  Could this imply the Aerie.bcs file does not have the correct name?

Tom

#14 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:24 AM

I wonder if your Near Infinity is configured to the correct game now.

Start the NearInfinity.jar .

Use: Game -> Open Game... -> and then go up back to the C drive and then to ... C:\BGT GAMES\BGII - SoA\ folder and select the chitin.key file in that folder.

Also it shouldn't matter, but just to make sure, use: Option - > Show Override Files -> In ??? (CRE, SPL, ...), this will make sure the file is in the .bcs folder.

The file is there, it cannot have disappeared. Well, it's very unlikely that it has, after all your game says that it's there... :P :devil:

Edited by The Imp, 09 November 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#15 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

Hi The Imp:

Another day of fun.  First, thanks for the help.  I have learned a lot from your comments and I really appreciate the help.

I reset NI.  The only difference was the setting for Option - Show Override files.  Now I have the same number of BCS files with LStest and NI.  The number is 11128 files.

Checked AERIE.BCS again for ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS)).  This statement was not in the file.

Searched AERIE.BCS for parts of the statement.

ActionOverride - 1 entry - ActionOverride("Anomen",Attack("Aerie"))   

Running - 0 entries

Aerie.BCS - 0 entries

Did a SEARCH-->TEXT-->BCS for ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS)).  There were no hits for this statement in the 11128 bcs files.

Checked the Globals associated with "Myself" and/or "Aerie2" inthe IF-THEN sections:

Global ("FWAerieImmyInUD","Global",0) is not in the game with any value.

Global ("AerieRomanceActive","Global",2) is in the game with a value of 1

Global ("AerieVampire","Global",4) is not in the game with any value.

Global ("AerieMatch","Global",1) is in the game with a value of 1

Global ("AerieReadsLetter","Global",1) is not in the game with any value.

Global ("QuaylRaelis","Global",1) is not in the game with any value.

Global ("I#B_AerieMazzy_AerieHurt","Global",0) is not in the game with any value.

Global ("I#B_AerieMazzy_MazzyHurt","Global",0) is not in the game with any value.

This is a real puzzle,

Tom

#16 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

Did you uninstall the LStest mod before you searched for the line, cause that will remove it. As it's there made to exist by the LStest mod. :D

#17 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

Hi The Imp:

Dumb questions time.  I have searched for the answer but get nothing.  How do you uninstall the LStest mod?  It must be obvious to many, but I never have uninstalled a mod.

If it cannot be done, I have a backup copy I can use.

Tom

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

I edited this a bit... :devil:

How do you uninstall the a weidu mod?

You just rerun the setup-modname.exe again and select u(+Enter) to uninstall ... easy !?! :devil:
Now are you sure you didn't configure the Near Infinity accidentally to use the backup copy as the game you make the search at ?

Searched AERIE.BCS for parts of the statement.

ActionOverride - 1 entry - ActionOverride("Anomen",Attack("Aerie"))
Running - 0 entries
Aerie.BCS - 0 entries

This is a text search, not action search, as in: You just open the file in the main display, and manually look at the source code(It's the one labeled with "Script source(decompiled)" in the tab). It's very well readable ones you know how it's constructed... mainly that each script block starts with an: IF ... and punch of statements that you don't need to really care about... well, the fix will touch this part likely. Then comes one or more: THEN RESPONSE #100 ... and actions that the script launches. Well, the number can be what ever. Anyways, it's after that where you find this line:

ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS))

It's after the 21st THEN RESPONSE # marker, I'll promise you this. ...cause the LStest mod made it to be there ...

And the script block always ends with, guess-what-exactly: END

Here's a picture and the important parts highlighted:

fszr5.jpg

Edited by The Imp, 09 November 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#19 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hi The Imp:

I don't quite trust spaces in these documents as this program seems to delete them if there is more than one.

Here is the code.  There was only one instance of block 21:

IF
               InParty(Myself)
               Global("PhaereInnuendo","GLOBAL",2)
               !Range("Phaere",6)
               Global("AerieMad2","LOCALS",0)
               OR(2)
                              Global("AerieRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)
                              Global("AerieRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)
                CombatCounter(0)
THEN
                 RESPONSE #100
                                ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,188965)) // Running block 21 of AERIE.BCS
                                StartDialogueNoSet([PC])
END

IF
                 InParty(Myself)
                 Global("PhaereInnuendo","GLOBAL",3)
                 !Range("Phaere",6)
                 Global("AerieMad3","LOCALS",0)
                 OR(2)
                                 Global("AerieRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)
                                 Global("AerieRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)
                  CombatCounter(0)
THEN
                  RESPONSE #100
                                   ActionOverride(Player1,DisplayString(Myself,188966)) // Running block 22 of AERIE.BCS
                                   StartDialogueNoSet([PC])
END

I have attached AERIE_BCS.txt file.  It is the translated AERIE.BCS in Notepad.  Easy to search.

Attached File  Aerie_BCS.txt   18.96K   302 downloads

If nothing else, you have made this process has been a great tutorial on how to locate bugs in the program.

Thanks again,

Tom 

#20 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:04 PM

Well, one way to fix the Aerie's walking is to use the Console and use this command:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("PhaereInnuendo","GLOBAL",666)

I say to put it to the number of the beast, cause no other number will do. Right. :devil: Note the irony, as anything else than 0, 1, 2 or 3 will be likely to do the wanted effect !

That might of course not quite work as intended for the romance that involves Phaere, but it's hardly the point if you can't play the game.

Edited by The Imp, 09 November 2014 - 01:22 PM.