This spin on BG2 is cursed. Somebody must be trying to tell me someth

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:45 AM

So, after my brief sojourn with breaking BG2EE, I decided to try and play through a normal game of BG2.  I get through CI and I get to Waukeen's Promenade.  The cutscene fires.  It even looks like a bunch of stuff tries to load.  I get a message about the world map updating.  I get interjections from Yoshimo and Yasrena telling me to save Imoen.  Kivan shows up.  I even have enough time to try and and load another area (b-line to the Temple of Ilmater).  Then the game crashes with an ObjCreature.cpp error 12162.  IIRC, I think this error means the area is trying to load a creature that doesn't exist.

More wierd, and probably unrelated to the crash, after I leave CI, Imoen doesn't leave my party.  The extended, modded, cutscene fires normally and generates a different Imoen for the cutscene.  The cutscene Imoen is taken away.  This is easily worked around by damaging Imoen sufficiently inside CI that she leaves the party for the surface.  I did this and the crash still happened, which is why I think it is two unrelated bugs.

BWP Tactics Install using the newest BWS, but without the big mods like SoS and RoT, over the GoG version of BG2 Complete.

Any idea how I fix this?  How do I read the TobEx error log to figure out what is trying to generate this bad CRE?

Thanks!

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ObjCreature.cpp
Line: 12162

Exp: pCreature != NULL && creatureSize > 0

Msg: no msg.
Run Debugger?

Attached Files

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:16 AM

Then the game crashes with an ObjCreature.cpp error 12162.  IIRC, I think this error means the area is trying to load a creature that doesn't exist.

Nope, that's a sign that the game tries to show a creatures animation wish size is negative, as in -it doesn't exist. The referred file is missing and thus the game crashes.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:54 AM

Anywho, I'm freakin' lazy, and I apologize.  I did the google and found this:  http://gibberlings3....showtopic=26799

Sounds familiar, huh?  

Lucky, I'm less lazy than the OP in this thread and I actually did the solution Miloch proposed (THANKS MILOCH!!! :D :D :D).

I discovered the bad cre:  cmtb2ees1

I did all the log stuff that Miloch's readme told me to do and I attached it to this.

So, how do I fix this .cre to make it work?  Sorry.  It's been a long time since I played BG.  I can't even find an entry for it under CRE in Near Infinity.  I found the .CRE file in my override and attached it.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#4 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:56 AM

The area also spawns a couple dwarven guards who do the same animation and I tested them and they spawn fine.  I don't understand why it would be the animation because the same animation works on the guards.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:16 AM

Well, erhm, the game usually can't handle files that have more than 8 characters, and the CMTB2EES1.cre has 9+(.cre)extension. So .. :devil:

Edited by The Imp, 16 December 2014 - 06:16 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

Jarno is right.
This CRE is Kurtz Goldenaxe, a merchant appearing in the BG1 part where he's named CMTBEES1.cre . I only got this one file of him on my installation. Your description, and file name indicate that yours is the same merchant reappearing in Athkathla.

The creature name hints that it's from Chosen of Mystra.

AFAIK a file sanitizer is run after a megamod installation which should have caught your creature name? Or you installed a buggy, out of date version of the mod.

Edited by Bloodtitan, 17 December 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#7 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

I used the BWS to download my mods.  I had to download the G3 stuff manually because their forum is screwed up, but I'm sure I've had CoM mods installed before without problems.

Here's a topic on another board that mentions this files:  http://forum.baldurs...2ee-bgt-tutu/p3  I think it is named like this intentionally.

How do I fix this?  Just take the cre file out of my override? Can I rename it to something less than 8 letters?

Edited by Darpaek, 16 December 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#8 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

Could the problem be that the BWS installed this for normal BG2 when this mod was specifically made for BG2EE?  Hence the 9 letter cre file instead of an 8 letter cre?  http://www.baldursga...hp?topic=8092.0

#9 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:56 PM

Okay.  Well I took the CRE out of my override and it looks like Waukeen's Promenade worked just fine.  Thank goodness the bigg is so smart not to include that in a biff.  That would have been a pain!

#10 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

Could the problem be that the BWS installed this for normal BG2 when this mod was specifically made for BG2EE?  Hence the 9 letter cre file instead of an 8 letter cre?  http://www.baldursga...hp?topic=8092.0

There's something wrong with the mod itself, as it allows the unuseable creature exist in an environment it shouldn't, as the problem is not just the file in the override folder, but the reference to it in the other in game file it was added into during the install phase, which it shouldn't have been, as the installer doesn't check what it's doing(with an easy game_is check for example).

Go and report this problem in the mods own forum !

Edited by The Imp, 16 December 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#11 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

I tried, but I don't have an account at TeamBG and I can't make an account because the anti-bot picture tests won't load when I try to make an account.  If someone else with an existing TeamBG account would be so kind, I'd really appreciate it.  :D

#12 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

If someone ...

Done.