Photo

Friendly/neutral creatures turning hostile

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Lunaris

Lunaris
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

Hi, I noticed a weird behaviour in my game - any friendly/neutral creature (blue circle) turns hostile when it notices another hostile creature aka when a hostile creature appears in their line of sight they turn hostile too. I've barely started a new BGT game, just cleared the Firewine ruins, and so far managed it, but in the future it might break many quests and possibly the whole game. Any help would be most appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by Lunaris, 04 January 2015 - 04:06 PM.

#2 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

Wow, that's one of the strangests bugs I've read about here. Curious what it is, hope someone smart strolls by and nabs it.

#3 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hi Lunaris:

I have gone through Baldur's Gate and am now in Shadows of Amn.  I have the same thing happening in my game in both.  But I have noticed that the creatures whose circles turn red, do not attack the party.   At least they have not attacked up till now.

I hope they also stay friendly for you.

Tom

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

Have you ever done something horrible ? --- an action that had turned a neutral target to a hostile.

If not, then it's just the "better calls for help" that effects everyone, and not just the "monster" when they hear it.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Lunaris

Lunaris
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:13 AM

tomkaz: Creatures in my game do attack, but it doesn't matter that much. How did you solve for example the Duchal palace battle? Both duke Belt and Lila Jannath are gonna be hostile and therefore won't talk to charname, won't teleport the party to the thieves guild. Spawning them again via CluaConsole might do the trick, but... :crazy:

The Imp: Thanks. Can you think of any solution? Or do you think it would be better to ask in G3 forums instead? 

edit: I found a bugfix thread for SC Stratagems v28 in the G3 forums, hopefully it works. Thanks again The Imp. 

Edited by Lunaris, 05 January 2015 - 01:37 AM.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:37 AM

The Imp: Thanks. Can you think of any solution? Or do you think it would be better to ask in G3 forums instead? 

Well, it's not a solution, but a way to go about the approach to a solution... :devil: ... You start by installing the LStest mod, then you play the game to an encounter where you find an hostile enemy that makes the neutral and allies to turn against you and make a record of every line the dialog box makes(so you can debug the whole thing), and then you look those lines up in the scripts, and try to see which of them start the hostility etc, and then you --change-log the script that does it, and find which mod is at fault and then go to their forum and "accuse them of incompetence". :devil: :crazy:

:Poke: That last was a bit of a joke, so hopefully you got that.

PS, the linked topic is years old, so even though I say at it to overwrite the weidu.exe's with the ones in the archives, do not as the file in them is an ancient.

Edited by The Imp, 05 January 2015 - 01:40 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#7 Lunaris

Lunaris
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

^^ I installed the LStest mod and it does seem that SCS, namely DW#GPSHM.BCS file (blocks 2, 7, 13, 25, 31, 37), is indeed responsible. Unfortunately those bugfixes from the G3 forums didn't help and I don't really understand the change-log thing. My coding skills are not good enough to find out what causes the problem, so I'll try to create an account at G3 (doesn't seem to be working now) and ask there.

Attached Files

#8 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

Strange, your DW#GPSHM script is different then mine, using latest v28 with fixes.
What puzzles me is substition of Shout(HELP_ME_GROUP151) to Shout(ALERT_151).
Try putting this in override:
Attached File  DW#GPSHM.BCS   41.36K   241 downloads

#9 Lunaris

Lunaris
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

^^ no effect :wacko:

#10 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

I think I know what is happening.
This script SCS assigned to groups of monsters (basilisks, wolves, spiders, zombies, skeletons...) and gave them "specifics" number to each group, so script works only on them.
Some mod that you installed after SCS, deleted this number from creature that you killed, so script worked on all around him, instead of just his group.
You can find which mod it is, if you change-log creature that started this.

EDIT:

Just checked, BP has a lot "WRITE_BYTE 0x274" (specifics number) in his creature changes so it could be main suspect, at least these components you installed after SCS..

Edited by Mad Mate, 05 January 2015 - 03:36 PM.

#11 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

BP .................... after SCS..

#12 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

BP .................... after SCS..

Yes, it's meant to be that way:

Installation/Compatibility: Just extract the contents of the archive into your BG2ToB folder of choice, and double-click on Setup-BP.exe I recommend installing after SCS 1 & 2, if you actually want to play BP.

Yes, the original recommendation was made with SCS&SCSII ~v24 in mind, but it was renewed with the SCS v28 when horred the plague came back with the latest BP-v181 4610&11.

Yes, we are all aware that the BP's and SCS'es AI tweaks clash greatly and one should just use one, but I for one wish to use both ...

Edited by The Imp, 06 January 2015 - 03:20 AM.

#13 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:42 AM

Yes, we are all aware that the BP's and SCS'es AI tweaks clash greatly and one should just use one, but I for one wish to use both ...
I understand you, but your wish would only be granted if Horred or DavidW go through code of BP & SCS and check for incompatibilities. And that it more then half of the code.
If someone from BWP & BWS don't mark these 2 mods for incompatible, we will see threads like this one every 2 days.
And this is not SCS or BP bug.
Mix is buggy.

#14 Lunaris

Lunaris
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

My install order is exactly as described in BWP installation guide, though I realize the guide does mention that BP and SCS don't like each other. However, given my previous experience with older versions of the mods, which were pretty much compatible if installed in correct order, I didn't expect any critical bugs. I'll try to uninstall the parts of BP installed after the SCS and then reinstall SCS. Each mod offers some specific content, which is, I guess, why some people (like me) tend to install both mods despite the warnings in BWP. Anyway, thanks for your help guys. :new_thumbs:

#15 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:08 AM

Bp should never be installed.

No offense but I had only problems with it

Especially in ToB if you use wheels of prophecy

I would remove altogether it from the BWS. There is no support anymore and it has still left-over bugs, retaining it inside according to me is a way to confuse people (and I was confused as well the first time I used it)

Saying ' no we should keep it because it is compatible with EE', is an oversight as well, because it has even bugs with EE and one should just avoid using it for the time being. Bp left the community but the work he did on the mod, in the state that currently is, can be marked as useless.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#16 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:37 AM

Bp should never be installed....
That's just like saying, "I don't like SCS, NO ONE should ever use it cause it's buggy with BP !!!!!" ... you are aware of this, right ?

#17 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:20 AM

no it's not like that

It's more like

99.9% of the times it doesn't work properly

it has more bugs than ever, and you aren't advised to use it in 1998 BG, especially when paired with other mods

if you use it on EE it still has bugs, like the slayer transformation not working properly

the fact that you can install it in BWS is misleading to the maximum

The mod itself seems a alpha-version of a mod that wasn't never completed, and now Cuv is going to re-use it to make it work properly

now the question is

why is it still on bws?

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

why is it still on bws?

Because some people prefer the BP over all the other mods that change the exact same freaking thing, to the vain of SCS, aTweaks, RR, Questpack AI... it was in the original BiG Picture compilation megamod before the BWP even existed.

Cuv has been working on the Ascension mod for a year, and I haven't seen anything coming out of it yet, so you might wish to excuse the claim that he is said to be working on things. And only ask things to be removed WHEN the project is done, and then tested with other mods.
The claim also that the BP won't work with the "1998 BG"... well is true as much as the SCS doesn't work with it either, they work more or less with the current conversion mods made from the 1999 BGTotSC(yes, the TotSC was released April 1999 ).

And you might wish to learn how to complete sentences, as the above post looks like it was written while drunk, and those post usually do not conjugate the best behavior from anyone.

Edited by The Imp, 07 January 2015 - 12:17 PM.

#19 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

ok ,so if you wish to still retain it, add tags like INCOMPATIBLE WITH MANY MODS, IMPPOSIBLE TO INSTALL, DO NOT USE WHEN...

I'm sorry The Imp, but Cuv could have been working on such mod for 5 years. Still, I'm pretty sure it works way better than BP even if we are talking about the void. BP is a mess and acknoledging it is better for everyone. I played 2-3-4 times with BP before realizing it was it that plagued my game with bugs

Do I have a flawed view? No, it is still shit

Edited by Sergio, 07 January 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#20 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

ok ,so if you wish to still retain it, add tags like INCOMPATIBLE WITH MANY MODS, IMPPOSIBLE TO INSTALL, DO NOT USE WHEN...

Unfortunately, BP is indeed very buggy in latest version. Until either Horred or a fixing-savvy person gets to fixing it, it should be marked as "expert" in BWS. 

There's little reason for people to use it in current state, regardless of game - it's bugged on EEs, BGT, BWs, BG2, whatever. Enemies without weapons, mages casting spells on non-hostile PCs etc. are really not to reccomend to anyone. Who wants to play a game where Firebeard attacks you with spells when you enter the first inn in the game? And this repeats with a multitude of other (seemingly friendly) mages as well.

I do like BP (it does a lot of things SCS doesn't) but as it stands -  it's unplayable without seriously hacking into it.  

Fwiw, for people who want a smarter AI without SCS usage I'd highly reccomend Questpack AI improvements. Low key changes, yet decently challenging, and the whole install takes about 2 minutes, regardless of mods installed beforehand.