• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Tenya for BG:EE

My first ever actual NPC mod.

Tenya is the twelve year old priestess of Umberlee you meet north of Ankheg county outside Baldur's Gate, whose mother has been murdered by the fishermen and is very determined to get back the bowl they stole. Help her with that, and she may now allow you to become her guardian.

B2Tenya2.jpg

Full list of features:

Class: Cleric

Stats:

STR 9
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 12
WIS 16
CHA 13

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral ( I changed her alignment to CN, for several reasons. First, I don't really go along with the idea in a lot of other media that the field of child psychology is really just a diversion from the truth that all children are possessed by the spirits of evil aliens. Second, I feel it better reflects her personality anyway - she is quick to anger, abrasive, and like children do will sometimes try to test the limits of people around her to see how much she can get away with. But, she can actually be quite helpful and even nice, on occasion. Lastly I just wanted to leave it open so that maybe in some future expansion she can develop either way due to your influence.

Her stats are not magnificent, but she has a fair bit of stuff. Like a ring that gives an extra cleric spell each level and also functions as a ring of protection +2, and a bunch of mephit spells she can cast (steam and ice shards etc... basically all the ones that have any sort of connection to water. She's a waterbender). Not really very powerful, but can be useful on occassion.

She can also cast Storm Shield once per day like a Cleric of Talos.

As her guardian, you will also able to use her Bowl of Water Elemental Control... but she has to learn how to activate it first.

She has at least one banter with every bioware and beamdog NPC (apart from Baeloth at this time).  She has a couple with a few of them (Garrick, Coran, Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Alora...)

She also talks to the PC and comments on entering certain areas, and has a few interactions and interjections with other characters scattered around, and a little PID (Player Initiated Dialogues).

Edited by Coutelier, 23 October 2019 - 06:18 AM.

#2 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Some screens.

Joining the group:

TT01.jpg

Character Sheet:

TT02.jpg

Exploring Tenya's land-home:

TT03.jpg

#3 Tash

Tash
  • Validating
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

Hi Coutelier,

Welcome to SHS! This is all very cool. Except that, sadly, I don't have BGEE <_<. Would you mind telling me if BG1/BGT will ever be supported?

As far as Tenya's alignment is concerned, I don't think there's any problem with her being Evil. I think BG1 and BG2 really blurred the line between Good and Evil. It isn't the structuralists' good/evil binary system; it's all just a matter of a point of view and personal motives.

This is where Temple of Elemental Evil failed, in my opinion, as for example Lawful Evil would always be this obedient minion: "Yes, master" this, "yes, oh Dark Lord" that. Chaotic Evil would just as soon slaughter everybody. Not in BG, nah-uh. Tenya could be Evil, no prob ^_^. The Evil part is also an essential spiritual connection to her Goddess. Chaotic is how she behaves, her child personality; whereas Evil is possibly where she draws her innate powers from. At least as a starting point, you know.

EDIT: Yeah, Chaotic Neutral always seemed to me like a complete lunatic, abandoned by fate, a miscalculation there somewhere, and an error in the scheme of things. Tenya, on the other hand, has quite a clear purpose for her existence, even as a kid.

Edited by Tash, 10 February 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#4 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hi Coutelier,

Welcome to SHS! This is all very cool.

<_< But I don't have BGEE. Would you mind telling me if BG1/BGT will ever be supported?

As far as Tenya's alignment is concerned, I don't think there's any problem with her being Evil. I think BG1 and BG2 really blurred the line between Good and Evil. It isn't the structuralists' good/evil binary system; it's all just a matter of a point of view and personal motives.

This is where Temple of Elemental Evil failed, in my opinion, as for example Lawful Evil would always be this obedient minion. "Yes, master" this, "yes, oh Dark Lord" that :Bow:. Chaotic Evil would just as soon slaughter everybody. Not in BG, nah-uh. Tenya could be Evil, no prob ^_^. The Evil part is also an essential spiritual connection to her Goddess. Chaotic is how she behaves, her child personality; Evil is where she draws her innate powers from ;). At least as a starting point, you know.

EDIT: Yeah, Chaotic Neutral always seemed to me like a complete lunatic, abandoned by fate, a miscalculation there somewhere, an error in the scheme of things. Tenya, on the other hand, has quite a clear purpose for her existence, even as a kid.

Unfortunately I don't have my old BG anymore, and I'm not sure what all the differences are between the versions.

I believe it's allowed for Cleric's of Umberlee to be CN.  Umberlee herself seems to me more chaotic than evil anyway, since she's a representation of the sea, at times extremely violent and destructive, but can also be serene and calm when pleased.  Not as evil as say, Shar or Lloth, anyway.  And Tenya herself doesn't really do anything really evil.

I don't think CN has to be a lunatic.  I think in Tenya's case, she just acts impulsively on her emotions most of the time, as children often do, without any good or evil intent. When she's doing stuff as a priestess of Umberlee, she's just acting out in the way she's been shown by her mother and in response to her own sorrow and anger.  And at other times she just acts like a kid.

#5 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

Thank christ there's no romance this time

#6 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:52 PM

Thank christ there's no romance this time

No. But maybe some time in the future there will be a parenting path, where the Bhaalspawn has to face their most difficult challenge yet - having to deliver 'the talk' to a teenager, who will likely just cover their ears and sing over you in a desperate attempt not to hear.

#7 Tash

Tash
  • Validating
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

This is my favorite Tenya moment: here. ^_^

Am I absolutely sure that I want to deliver "the talk"? *something stirs the waves only slightly*

#8 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, I suppose that was pretty bad.  Luckily for Skie though, I haven't figured out any way Tenya can do that to her in game.

#9 Tash

Tash
  • Validating
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

Well, I just wanted to say it seems like you have a clearly defined character concept for her, and that's exactly what I wanted to provoke in my reply. Shapes up to be a really good NPC mod :).

#10 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:02 AM

Well, I just wanted to say it seems like you have a clearly defined character concept for her, and that's exactly what I wanted to provoke in my reply. Shapes up to be a really good NPC mod :).

Hopefully. I originally just included her in stuff because I thought a really aggressive young girl would be quite funny, and that was the approach I started this mod with as well.  But she's evolved a bit since then, and there is a softer side to her personality as well.

But there is still quite a bit of fun.  Some of her comments may be a bit hard to find (like IIRC correctly, you have to talk to a noble with Tenya to get an interaction to occur).  There are a few scattered around.  I'd like to put in more interjections, but BG1 wasn't really written with that in mind so it's hard to find good places in the existing text for NPC's to comment.

#11 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:09 AM

Here are some more screens...

An example of some banter:

TT04.jpg

TT05.jpg

They're not all like that.

Tenya commenting on entering the Bandit Camp:

TT06.jpg

Player intiated dialogue:

TT07.jpg

Edited by Coutelier, 11 February 2015 - 03:09 AM.

#12 -aroc2-

-aroc2-

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

Aerie in BGEE, how?

#13 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:20 AM

Aerie in BGEE, how?

Oh, I just CTRL-Q'd her from my other BG:EE mod, here.

#14 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

Here are some more screens...

An example of some banter:

TT04.jpg

TT05.jpg

This is what i needed

#15 Utopolyst

Utopolyst
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:15 AM

Hi Coutelier!

Tenya is a nice companion. I just wanted to make you aware of BGEE Picture mechanics. I'm the mod author of The Picture Standard and have addressed a misconception floating around in the interenet. BGEE should always use the size 210x330 for all pictures (meaning L, M & S), since otherwise, if you have a higher resolution than the standard 800x600, the pictures will get blurry. BGEE WILL DOWNSCALE BY ITSELF! It will also upscale, but with like any upscaling process, the results are not optimal and most likely terrible. I've addressed this issues with other mods, as you can tell by contribution. Please make sure that the resolution of Tenyas pics - or any other - are always 210x330, meaning B2#TenyaL.bmp, B2#TenyaM.bmp and B2#TenyaS.bmp should all be the same size. Now if you have different perspectives, go for it and integrate them accordingly, just make sure the resolution stays at it's highest.

Cheers and thanks for your work,

Uto

The Picture Standard  - "Go for the Eyes Bo!"

#16 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

Hi Coutelier!

Tenya is a nice companion. I just wanted to make you aware of BGEE Picture mechanics. I'm the mod author of The Picture Standard and have addressed a misconception floating around in the interenet. BGEE should always use the size 210x330 for all pictures (meaning L, M & S), since otherwise, if you have a higher resolution than the standard 800x600, the pictures will get blurry. BGEE WILL DOWNSCALE BY ITSELF! It will also upscale, but with like any upscaling process, the results are not optimal and most likely terrible. I've addressed this issues with other mods, as you can tell by contribution. Please make sure that the resolution of Tenyas pics - or any other - are always 210x330, meaning B2#TenyaL.bmp, B2#TenyaM.bmp and B2#TenyaS.bmp should all be the same size. Now if you have different perspectives, go for it and integrate them accordingly, just make sure the resolution stays at it's highest.

Cheers and thanks for your work,

Uto

IIRC correctly, I did do three versions of her portrait, L, M and S.  210x330, 169x266, and 54x85 respectively.  Although I only use the L for her character screen and the M for her small portrait.

#17 Utopolyst

Utopolyst
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:28 AM

That's okay, although you really can kick the smaller sizes for bgee, as with higher resolutions, like 1920x1080 the smaller ones really don't cut it. ;)

Nevertheless: Thanks for your mod! :)

The Picture Standard  - "Go for the Eyes Bo!"

#18 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:53 AM

We really need support for BGT.

#19 Coutelier

Coutelier
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

We really need support for BGT.

I'll look into it.  I bought the orginal games on GOG a while ago so I should be download and install them.  I guess it shouldn't be too hard to adapt this mod as there's nothing really complicated in it... we'll see though.

#20 Old_Druid

Old_Druid
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

She looks like an interesting character, but how is she so far as the other games (BG2EE, ToB, SoD & Black Pits)? Can she be imported with party?

Old Druid

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tenya, cleric, umberlee, bg:ee