The NeverendingJourney NoCD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 -agnes-

-agnes-

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:57 AM

Hello. My discs are too scratched to be played any more and I see that NeJ has a NoCD patch included that BWP lists as installable (pretty early in the megamod order).

I am wondering if it is possible to install it...well, last? Because I saw such a thing existed only after my megamod finished installing.

I realize I can't simply replace the .exe witch some silly crack or whatever (because many mods have modified the original exe and their changes would be lost) but will the patch from NeJ work?

Thanks

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:04 AM

Yes, you can install it last. Will it work with all or any of those mods is a different thing. Usually it does, but that's when it's not installed last.
#% Understand, TRY, and find out. The patch can be separately extracted from the NEJ archive, or found from here too.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -agnes-

-agnes-

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

Yes, you can install it last. Will it work with all or any of those mods is a different thing. Usually it does, but that's when it's not installed last.
#% Understand, TRY, and find out. The patch can be separately extracted from the NEJ archive, or found from here too.

I'm sorry but I don't have the time to "try" to play only to realize many hours into the game that I have a gamebreaking bug because of this. And someone ought to have tried this already, and could inform others of the result.

And this is a discussion forum, so I don't understand your frustration in me asking this? I would appreciate if you rather said nothing than being unhelpful. Thanks.

#4 -Pancakeland-

-Pancakeland-

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:20 AM

I too wonder this. I have never used a nocd patch for baldurs gate but I have backed up my old discs a long time ago but it's a pain to constantly mount them to play. And now with Aliens infinity launcher we can truly make this game portable. It's just a matter of which patch to use.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:29 AM

You know, wondering doesn't help people, I gave you the tools to try to find out, you just got to do it. Of course taking the word of an anonymous guest member named "Pancakeland" can be a little hard to take. -even if the proof would be on a paper.

I'm sorry but I don't have the time to "try" to play only to realize many hours into the game that I have a gamebreaking bug because of this.

I am sorry that your computer takes hours to install a few hexadecimal writes to a file... :ROFL: as the only thing that's needed to check if this works is have a game that has say 12 fighter kits for a human and thus requiring the use of ToBEx to display them all, and then install the NEJ's noCD. If the kits are diplayed in the kit selection interface, the ToBEx still works, duh.

Edited by The Imp, 01 April 2015 - 02:15 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 -agnes-

-agnes-

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:36 AM

The Imp, I already asked you to avoid the thread if you couldn't contribute anything constructive in it. I'm asking you once more as it would be a shame if this thread was derailed. Also, tobex is not really a concern, because it injects it's code during runtime, and is as such is not really affected by which exe is in use as long as it is the correct game version. Ascension64 has confirmed this and says it works with a nocd exe also. The real problem is other mods that modify the exe directly, because a nocd patch can then nullify or break those modifications. And that may not be apparent immediately, and if a mod depended on the hack that was removed, it could really break the game in a crucial moment.

#7 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:47 AM

The Imp, I already asked you to avoid the thread if you couldn't contribute anything constructive in it.

I tried... but you didn't listen. 

You could have listed the mods you know you have installed and someone that has done an install and played the game with a random order could tell that this or that works or doesn't.

From what I understand from the .exe, and from the patches on to it, the nonCD one particularly is unlikely to affect any of the others as the proportion of modified numbers is a different one than the ones editing the games actual functionality. BUT you do not have to take my word for it... you could actually test it and find out. ..but you didn't listen.