Thael crossmod added

Github database has been updated

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#722 geh4th

geh4th
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

I've seen numerous instances now where Sandrah has a dialogue with an NPC (both with party members and NPCs not in the party) that end with a "fade to black" sort of effect, as if the party were resting, but there is no rest and no time passes. An example early in the game is when Sandrah talks to Bjornin in the Jovial Juggler, where she talks about taking him upstairs to "heal" him. The screen fades back in a moment later, and while this is going on there are no GUI controls visible.

The problem is, if the party just happens to be going out a door or moving to a different area when this type of dialogue triggers, it causes the game to (effectively) crash because the restoring of the GUI controls never happens. There is no error or CTD, there's just no means to continue - the party is visible on the screen but there's no controls for the game at all (they're not minimized, they're gone). 

The dialogue apparently doesn't stop the party's movement orders, so the area transition still occurs, which seems to happen during (or despite) the dialogue, This means that when the dialogue finishes, the party is at the new area, but the player has no controls. When this happens I have to use task manager to kill the game, and I have to reload a prior save.

#723 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

I've seen numerous instances now where Sandrah has a dialogue with an NPC (both with party members and NPCs not in the party) that end with a "fade to black" sort of effect, as if the party were resting, but there is no rest and no time passes. An example early in the game is when Sandrah talks to Bjornin in the Jovial Juggler, where she talks about taking him upstairs to "heal" him. The screen fades back in a moment later, and while this is going on there are no GUI controls visible.

The problem is, if the party just happens to be going out a door or moving to a different area when this type of dialogue triggers, it causes the game to (effectively) crash because the restoring of the GUI controls never happens. There is no error or CTD, there's just no means to continue - the party is visible on the screen but there's no controls for the game at all (they're not minimized, they're gone). 

The dialogue apparently doesn't stop the party's movement orders, so the area transition still occurs, which seems to happen during (or despite) the dialogue, This means that when the dialogue finishes, the party is at the new area, but the player has no controls. When this happens I have to use task manager to kill the game, and I have to reload a prior save.

This effect is used like in the old Hollywood movies where the camera fades out and leaves the next scene (normally something as dirty as a kiss) to your imagination. I use the same to indicate that your NPCs have a bit of private life that you do not see all the time.

Gamewise speaking, I use a normal cutscene here - why you should be able to change areas while in a conversation sequing into a cutscene is something I have never seen before myself. Anyway, this would not be an issue specific to Sandrah.

Unless someone sees any problem with this code:

Spoiler

Edited by Roxanne, 29 October 2015 - 09:09 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#724 geh4th

geh4th
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

I can confirm that the Gauth hotfix works correctly. I am now able to summon the creature.

The replacement file for the Gift of Mystra, however, didn't exactly work right. Now it's title reads as "This is the spellbook of Tracea Carol. If used, you will learn (at your us...) [text runs off the screen]. It then says "The spellbook of Tranzig."

It does appear to be working correctly as far as it's obvious power (fire resistance) and proficiency type (long sword) are concerned.

#725 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

I can confirm that the Gauth hotfix works correctly. I am now able to summon the creature.

The replacement file for the Gift of Mystra, however, didn't exactly work right. Now it's title reads as "This is the spellbook of Tracea Carol. If used, you will learn (at your us...) [text runs off the screen]. It then says "The spellbook of Tranzig."

It does appear to be working correctly as far as it's obvious power (fire resistance) and proficiency type (long sword) are concerned.

The wrong text is because the item is just copied into override but not compiled. If you take a file containing text from one installation to another this will happen most of the time as two dialog.tlk files will never be the same. So you can either

- treat that as cosmetic knowing it comes from the copy action (it will be correct when done via normal installation)

- download the updated version of the mod for compile with the respective tra file

- correct the string references with an editor (e.g. NI)

The Sandrah Saga

#726 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

The wrong text is because the item is just copied into override but not compiled. If you take a file containing text from one installation to another this will happen most of the time as two dialog.tlk files will never be the same. So you can either

- treat that as cosmetic knowing it comes from the copy action (it will be correct when done via normal installation)

- download the updated version of the mod for compile with the respective tra file

- correct the string references with an editor (e.g. NI)

There is a fourth option, Install this hotfix:

Edited by Roxanne, 29 October 2015 - 01:07 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#727 geh4th

geh4th
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

Thank you for both the explanation and for the hotfix.

#728 geh4th

geh4th
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:37 PM

This effect is used like in the old Hollywood movies where the camera fades out and leaves the next scene (normally something as dirty as a kiss) to your imagination. I use the same to indicate that your NPCs have a bit of private life that you do not see all the time.

Gamewise speaking, I use a normal cutscene here - why you should be able to change areas while in a conversation sequing into a cutscene is something I have never seen before myself. Anyway, this would not be an issue specific to Sandrah.

Spoiler

This issue has happened more than once during my game, perhaps made worse due to my play-style. Once I'm done in an area or map, I tend to click on the door or exit and effectively order my party to transition to the next area, regardless of where they are on the map. In some cases, this involves one or more of the characters walking a ways before they are close enough to enable the transition to trigger.

As it happens, during this walking time there are ample opportunities for dialogues to fire...and if that happens right before the group actually leaves the area, this problem results. While I've never observed the problem to occur on a vanilla-game or non-Sandrah (mod) dialogue - presumably because they don't have the "fade to black" effect - it certainly happens on Sandrah's interactions both with <charname> as well as other party members, all of which involve this fade sequence. Since the problem has literally never happened to me before at any time, using any mod (aside from Sandrah) my only conclusion is that it IS something related to Sandrah, specifically with the fade sequence. (I'm not sure it's a coding issue, either...I think it's just a game engine thing that has to do with the way the interface...er, "interfaces"...with the fade effect. Of course, I know nothing of coding so I'm just speculating.)

For what it's worth, I am trying to teach myself to click NEAR the exit and have the party congregate, rather than clicking ON the exit to simply have them leave the area. This still doesn't eliminate the problem from happening, as depending on the (invisible) dialogue timers, they could trigger at any time. This is precisely what happened to me most recently, on a Sandrah-Xan interaction when leaving the Red Sheaf inn in Beregost (I had just delivered the "shopping list" letter to some guy, in connection with a DSotSC quest). I finished the conversation with the NPC, clicked on the doorway (my party was already all very close to the door), and the dialogue triggered in the brief moment before we could go outside - the time between clicking on the door and the dialogue firing was literally less than a second. Once the dialogue finished, we WERE outside, but with no user interface at all - just a full-screen view of the party standing in the beautiful streets of Beregost.

I have a save immediately prior to this point if it would be of any help.

#729 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:46 AM

Spoiler

This issue has happened more than once during my game, perhaps made worse due to my play-style. Once I'm done in an area or map, I tend to click on the door or exit and effectively order my party to transition to the next area, regardless of where they are on the map. In some cases, this involves one or more of the characters walking a ways before they are close enough to enable the transition to trigger.

As it happens, during this walking time there are ample opportunities for dialogues to fire...and if that happens right before the group actually leaves the area, this problem results. While I've never observed the problem to occur on a vanilla-game or non-Sandrah (mod) dialogue - presumably because they don't have the "fade to black" effect - it certainly happens on Sandrah's interactions both with <charname> as well as other party members, all of which involve this fade sequence. Since the problem has literally never happened to me before at any time, using any mod (aside from Sandrah) my only conclusion is that it IS something related to Sandrah, specifically with the fade sequence. (I'm not sure it's a coding issue, either...I think it's just a game engine thing that has to do with the way the interface...er, "interfaces"...with the fade effect. Of course, I know nothing of coding so I'm just speculating.)

For what it's worth, I am trying to teach myself to click NEAR the exit and have the party congregate, rather than clicking ON the exit to simply have them leave the area. This still doesn't eliminate the problem from happening, as depending on the (invisible) dialogue timers, they could trigger at any time. This is precisely what happened to me most recently, on a Sandrah-Xan interaction when leaving the Red Sheaf inn in Beregost (I had just delivered the "shopping list" letter to some guy, in connection with a DSotSC quest). I finished the conversation with the NPC, clicked on the doorway (my party was already all very close to the door), and the dialogue triggered in the brief moment before we could go outside - the time between clicking on the door and the dialogue firing was literally less than a second. Once the dialogue finished, we WERE outside, but with no user interface at all - just a full-screen view of the party standing in the beautiful streets of Beregost.

I understand the issue - it is not Sandrah specific in the way that it may happen in any cutscene in the game - still it is prone to happen more often with her since she has probably more cutscenes coded than other mods. Your game style like you describe it is another factor. Dialogues are mostly coded to happen at *calm* times in the game (no battle, not much other action etc) - like in your long walking scenario. (Or the opposite like in your Xan example - she walks up to Xan to talk and that distance is longer than the one to the door exit trigger - the exit starts to work while same time the dialogue fires - bad luck)

There may be a solution to use "ClearAllActions()" prior to such a dialogue - I need to investigate where exactly this needs to be, my assumption is that it needs to be even before the dialogue is started (included in the dialogue start code) and it needs to affect ALL party members, not just those included in the dialogue. It is a tricky issue - consideration must also be given that it does not break something else instead,

Your error descriptions are always very precise which makes it easy to track issues down to their source. Hopefully some experts here on the forum will glance at it and can provide some bright ideas. I also need to look into my use of *Delay(xx)* in some dialogue triggers (those are there to prevent a dialogue to happen immediately upon entering some new area - I do not like that as you never know what else you may block by that or what is exactly the situation the party finds in that new area.)

Anyway - there is most likely a solution but not a quick and easy one.

PS - I use a similar game style myself, however I always move my party to a point very close to the exit while not clicking on the exit itself (however for other reasons than that reported here.)

PPS - Before I go into a massive re-coding of several hundred dialogues, I try to gather more reports to see how widespread the issue really is.

Edited by Roxanne, 30 October 2015 - 01:05 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#730 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:27 AM

Spoiler

I understand the issue - it is not Sandrah specific in the way that it may happen in any cutscene in the game - still it is prone to happen more often with her since she has probably more cutscenes coded than other mods. Your game style like you describe it is another factor. Dialogues are mostly coded to happen at *calm* times in the game (no battle, not much other action etc) - like in your long walking scenario. (Or the opposite like in your Xan example - she walks up to Xan to talk and that distance is longer than the one to the door exit trigger - the exit starts to work while same time the dialogue fires - bad luck)

There may be a solution to use "ClearAllActions()" prior to such a dialogue - I need to investigate where exactly this needs to be, my assumption is that it needs to be even before the dialogue is started (included in the dialogue start code) and it needs to affect ALL party members, not just those included in the dialogue. It is a tricky issue - consideration must also be given that it does not break something else instead,

Your error descriptions are always very precise which makes it easy to track issues down to their source. Hopefully some experts here on the forum will glance at it and can provide some bright ideas. I also need to look into my use of *Delay(xx)* in some dialogue triggers (those are there to prevent a dialogue to happen immediately upon entering some new area - I do not like that as you never know what else you may block by that or what is exactly the situation the party finds in that new area.)

Anyway - there is most likely a solution but not a quick and easy one.

PS - I use a similar game style myself, however I always move my party to a point very close to the exit while not clicking on the exit itself (however for other reasons than that reported here.)

PPS - Before I go into a massive re-coding of several hundred dialogues, I try to gather more reports to see how widespread the issue really is.

Just one more question - this only happens when moving between non-party-required areas?

The Sandrah Saga

#731 geh4th

geh4th
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:21 AM

Just one more question - this only happens when moving between non-party-required areas?

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. Examples would be leaving the Jovial Juggler or Red Sheaf, transitioning from one mega-map area to another (Beregost to Lion's way, etc.) or between dungeon levels. It's not exclusive to Sandrah-added or other mod-added areas at all. 

Edited by geh4th, 30 October 2015 - 06:22 AM.

#732 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:52 AM

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. Examples would be leaving the Jovial Juggler or Red Sheaf, transitioning from one mega-map area to another (Beregost to Lion's way, etc.) or between dungeon levels. It's not exclusive to Sandrah-added or other mod-added areas at all. 

It seems to happen between all types of areas. (party-required = you must gather your party,,,,Game Autosaves)

The Sandrah Saga

#733 geh4th

geh4th
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:29 AM

It seems to happen between all types of areas. (party-required = you must gather your party,,,,Game Autosaves)

You know, now I'm not sure. I can't engineer the situation except in this one circumstance, when leaving an inn...which doesn't require an auto save. I distinctly remember it happening when leaving other buildings and once somewhere in the cloak wood, but that could have just as easily been when entering/leaving a cave or building instead of a map transition (which would trigger an auto save.)

I am thinking, however, that I can't ever actually recall seeing "You must gather your party..." when the event happens.

#734 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

You know, now I'm not sure. I can't engineer the situation except in this one circumstance, when leaving an inn...which doesn't require an auto save. I distinctly remember it happening when leaving other buildings and once somewhere in the cloak wood, but that could have just as easily been when entering/leaving a cave or building instead of a map transition (which would trigger an auto save.)

I am thinking, however, that I can't ever actually recall seeing "You must gather your party..." when the event happens.

Thank you for the update - my hope really was that it cannot happen for the party-required (in the same way you cannot leave if one party member cannot move, is sleeping, not selected, or similar). I will concentrate to look into the other type of transition first unless I learn otherwise.

The Sandrah Saga

#735 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

I did some more investigation on the *cutscene during area transition* issue.

Fact is that this is not a Sandrah related issue but a general IE behaviour (see Note1) - only Sandrah uses cutscenes and especially cutscenes at the end of dialogue (see Note2) more frequent than perhaps any other mod (and many of them happen in *everyday* situations).

Cutscenes are fragile beings that can break on unexpected interruptions and their start and end may easily become victim of timing issues, e,g, those described in the posts above.

Note1 "Infinity Engine is what BioWare's Baldur's Gate series runs on. Despite being a fairly robust engine for Dungeons & Dragons, it is still full of bugs. As the different games use varying versions of the engine, it will be noted which games can carry out each glitch."

Note2 "Certain cutscenes that occur immediately after dialog or after a loading screen can be broken by having the cutscene trigger over the top of a dialog or a menu screen. So far this has only been tested for Torment and BGII."

The quotes are from Infinity Engine SDA Knowledge Base

For further reading https://kb.speeddemo...Infinity_Engine

Edited by Roxanne, 30 October 2015 - 01:25 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#736 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:14 AM

Fact is that this is not a Sandrah related issue but a general IE behaviour (see Note1) - only Sandrah uses cutscenes and especially cutscenes at the end of dialogue (see Note2) more frequent than perhaps any other mod (and many of them happen in *everyday* situations).

Cutscenes are fragile beings that can break on unexpected interruptions and their start and end may easily become victim of timing issues, e,g, those described in the posts above.

Note1 "Infinity Engine is what BioWare's Baldur's Gate series runs on. Despite being a fairly robust engine for Dungeons & Dragons, it is still full of bugs. As the different games use varying versions of the engine, it will be noted which games can carry out each glitch."

Note2 "Certain cutscenes that occur immediately after dialog or after a loading screen can be broken by having the cutscene trigger over the top of a dialog or a menu screen. So far this has only been tested for Torment and BGII."

This component may help to solve similar issues

BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v16

The Sandrah Saga

#737 geh4th

geh4th
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:44 AM

BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v16

I have that component installed. Apparently it doesn't interact with these particular dialogues for some reason.

#738 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

I have that component installed. Apparently it doesn't interact with these particular dialogues for some reason.

1. The BG2 Tweaks component works and would stop your party on long distance walks through large areas (or master areas) towards some exit.

2. As  far as my research has gone, there is nothing I can see that can be done on those exits from small areas (or sub areas) where you stand almost next to the door. Except maybe wait a few seconds if you see one or more of your party members huffling around - this may be some sign that a conversation is about to start. Otherwise, this is simply how the game engine works - or rather fails to work if timing is wrong, if two actions are triggered that close in time (area transit  + conversation trigger) a failure will happen.

Without the added cutscene this will simply be visible as NPC talking while some of your group leave the area and some stay behind.

With added cutscene at the dialogue end you will be stuck in an unfinished cutscene mode - the contents of the cutscene plays no role here. This is what the above quoted source tries to explain, even if their angle to look at the issue is a different one (they describe how you force this break on purpose).

The Sandrah Saga

#739 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:34 AM

Sandrah Item Restauration added to download page

This patch is necessary to compensate the "overpowering" of Sandrah's personal items in a BWS/BWP installation. A number of mods tweak items and spells which lets her end up overpowered at BG1 start.  In Sandrah's case some mods intending to overall balance spells and items in the game actually add more effects and abilities to her items. Under some constellations these buffer up on each other and she finally ends up as overpowered Mary Sue when you meet her at game start.

In the BWP install sequence it should go AFTER Lolfixer. It can be installed on top of a biffed game as well.

The patch restores the original balanced items. IT MUST BE INSTALLED AFTER ALL OTHER MODS IN YOUR INSTALLATION. It can be installed after biffing.
Valid as of V1.10 of the mod

SandrahItemRestauration

Edited by Roxanne, 03 November 2015 - 06:58 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#740 geh4th

geh4th
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

Sandrah Item Restauration added to download page

This patch is necessary to compensate the "overpowering" of Sandrah's personal items in a BWS/BWP installation. A number of mods tweak items and spells which lets her end up overpowered at BG1 start.  In Sandrah's case some mods intending to overall balance spells and items in the game actually add more effects and abilities to her items. Under some constellations these buffer up on each other and she finally ends up as overpowered Mary Sue when you meet her at game start.

In the BWP install sequence it should go AFTER Lolfixer. It can be installed on top of a biffed game as well.

The patch restores the original balanced items. IT MUST BE INSTALLED AFTER ALL OTHER MODS IN YOUR INSTALLATION. It can be installed after biffing.
Valid as of V1.10 of the mod

SandrahItemRestauration

To clarify...this is NOT compatible with versions prior to v1.10?