Photo

[closed]

• Please log in to reply
1187 replies to this topic

#241 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:21 AM

This is the main reason why this forum exists - the mod is still under test and development.

Oh, that is a bit of a shame as it is always interesting to share ones thoughts on something.

Maybe I did not phrase it correctly. YES, this forum is here to ask questions and make comments!!!

I just suggest to put questions that reveil too much of the story into spoiler format, so only those who want to read can read and others may still try to figure things out by themself.

Hmmm, maybe I can ask a few questions though:

1. Are there multiple endings to RtF? Since most characters of the original saga got their epilogues in the ToB part then does RtF expand on these epilogues or are their replaced in RtF depending on whether they agreed to carry on for another adventure or not? Also like how the plot itself can have a different conclusion like how one could have an evil god, good god or reject godhood ending in ToB?

Spoiler

2. How long would you estimate the content to RtF?

Currently it is about the size of contents that ToB including Longer Road has.

If I say *currently* I mean that by design of the plot and the new areas it can be expanded with additional add-ons just like SoA. Like the original game it sets a playground and a main story but there is no restriction to let it end there.

3. Are there different endings for Sandrah herself based on the choices, adventures, romances and extra mods that one has?

No.... and yes.

What becomes of her in the very end is not yours to choose, she will make that choice herself - you can choose what will be your part in it, or if you will be part of it at all - or if will get to know about her further story at all.

4. Is there a reward for the player staying faithful in a relationship with her and not pursuing other girls

I noticed in the readme that she does not interfere with other romances and can have some of her own(which is quite interesting) so I wondered if there is some reward if the PC does not focus at all on other chicks and only shows interest in her from beginning to end? If PC flirts and romances others then clearly she should have freedom to do the same but what about devoted players? Does it affect her reactions somehow?

There is no direct reward for that  The way she will react to your different romances is different for each of them and hopefully interesting each time. There is a reward system of how you treat her and her needs (in romance but also in helping her quests).

The reason she is that way is obvious. She is designed to stay with you throughout the game. To give her a character to claims you all for herself would aniliate all those beautiful romances that are in the game and thus be completely unfair, right?? i hope my solution adds to the game without destroying other people's work

Her reaction to whatever you do with Phaere is hopefully unique.

And...a lot of things will be different for a male or female PC.

5. Are there some quests that are absolutely a must in BG1 which if missed can cut down the content of what can happen in BG2 and ToB part significantly or are such "only" expansions that offer greater insight on Sandrah including the bond she has with her father as well as expands her past and goals BUT can be ignored and the main plot with her can still move on?

This may help you

http://www.shsforums...e-8#entry577006

6. Since I recall starting with an evil character being not an option given how she does not appear then could it be that she got more content with good aligned characters(being one herself) or do neutral aligned ones get all the content available nevertheless?

She is relatively neutral and has not that blind view on good or evil that others may have. Only if you decide to be a truely evil character from the very start, killing innocents etc to keep your reputation low, she is not for you.

She is also a character that will evolve over the game, the more you and her experience during the game the more her views change.

Spoiler

Sorry for so many questions. :P

That is good to know, I though you meant that that since this mod is still being tested and developed then the focus here will for now remain on the technical part. :)

Spoiler

2. So does it mean that RtF is still open to being expanded in the future like new quests or maybe even joinable NPCs, right? That certainly would be nice. Does it also include the content for BG1, BG2 and the ToB part?

3. So depending on how the PC treats her so can the PCs role change in the end ranging from being abandoned/disliked to loved? Interesting. But what about her fate in general? Does learning specific stuff about her and doing quests can affect what happens to her(like whether she dies, continues having adventures, settles down, becomes someone with great influence, becomes particularly favored by her goddess, etc)? And if not then does she potentially get extra talks by the end (which reflect those big past quests) regardless of how her relationship with the PC stands?

4.Hmmm, certainly killing potential romances without having any choice in said matter would be troublesome. However, in BG2 one could romance Jaheira, Viconia and Aerie at the same time and the choice for the PC to make up his mind did not come immediately unless the player acted like a jerk to one of them or strongly hinted being interested which breaks the romance. In Sandrah's case if she claimed the PC to be all hers (like the girls in BG2 forced the PC to choose) then it would certainly be troublesome especially if hers and the PC relationship could get far before even BG2 started.

Yet...if the PC himself/herself did choose to tell Sandrah that he/she only wants to be with her then if the bond between them was at that point strong enough depending on how much support, love and devotion did the PC shown then I see no reason to not make their relationship official before RtF. With the other romances being broken by the PCs own choice. Of course if Sandrah did agree which would as I stated depend on how she was treated all this time. Basically it depends on how things stand on both sides.

How the relationship between Sandrah goes ranging from a friendship, a flirty but not physical relationship, then into an open relationship with physical intimacy and going into devoted passionate romance would be interesting possibilities especially if the way it turns into such could still happen depending on the PCs actions and Sandrah's reaction to those. Maybe even different flirts initiated by the PC depending on how their relationship stands? Or maybe Sandrah seeing love itself differently depending how she is treated? Hmmm...

Well, I'm a big fan of romances so there :P

5. Oh, thanks for the "hintbook" :)

Spoiler

Regarding the "biff" part, I think I read somewhere that while it helps in some ways it is also not advised if one plays through many mega mods or something like that as I recall. I used BWS to install the game but since I got still some trouble with command not working I choose this time to go right to the install without any preparations/back ups. I made a copy of my game in  a different folder to be used if I failed while using BWS so I was properly prepared to not install the game itself all the time.

I do not recall having the option of a clean up with BWS though BWP did offer it.

Could the lack of biffing possibly affect the game slowing down in specific areas?

Edited by Samriel, 29 June 2015 - 03:46 AM.

#242 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:13 AM

This is the main reason why this forum exists - the mod is still under test and development.

Oh, that is a bit of a shame as it is always interesting to share ones thoughts on something.

Maybe I did not phrase it correctly. YES, this forum is here to ask questions and make comments!!!

I just suggest to put questions that reveil too much of the story into spoiler format, so only those who want to read can read and others may still try to figure things out by themself.

Hmmm, maybe I can ask a few questions though:

1. Are there multiple endings to RtF? Since most characters of the original saga got their epilogues in the ToB part then does RtF expand on these epilogues or are their replaced in RtF depending on whether they agreed to carry on for another adventure or not? Also like how the plot itself can have a different conclusion like how one could have an evil god, good god or reject godhood ending in ToB?

Spoiler

2. How long would you estimate the content to RtF?

Currently it is about the size of contents that ToB including Longer Road has.

If I say *currently* I mean that by design of the plot and the new areas it can be expanded with additional add-ons just like SoA. Like the original game it sets a playground and a main story but there is no restriction to let it end there.

3. Are there different endings for Sandrah herself based on the choices, adventures, romances and extra mods that one has?

No.... and yes.

What becomes of her in the very end is not yours to choose, she will make that choice herself - you can choose what will be your part in it, or if you will be part of it at all - or if will get to know about her further story at all.

4. Is there a reward for the player staying faithful in a relationship with her and not pursuing other girls

I noticed in the readme that she does not interfere with other romances and can have some of her own(which is quite interesting) so I wondered if there is some reward if the PC does not focus at all on other chicks and only shows interest in her from beginning to end? If PC flirts and romances others then clearly she should have freedom to do the same but what about devoted players? Does it affect her reactions somehow?

There is no direct reward for that  The way she will react to your different romances is different for each of them and hopefully interesting each time. There is a reward system of how you treat her and her needs (in romance but also in helping her quests).

The reason she is that way is obvious. She is designed to stay with you throughout the game. To give her a character to claims you all for herself would aniliate all those beautiful romances that are in the game and thus be completely unfair, right?? i hope my solution adds to the game without destroying other people's work

Her reaction to whatever you do with Phaere is hopefully unique.

And...a lot of things will be different for a male or female PC.

5. Are there some quests that are absolutely a must in BG1 which if missed can cut down the content of what can happen in BG2 and ToB part significantly or are such "only" expansions that offer greater insight on Sandrah including the bond she has with her father as well as expands her past and goals BUT can be ignored and the main plot with her can still move on?

This may help you

http://www.shsforums...e-8#entry577006

6. Since I recall starting with an evil character being not an option given how she does not appear then could it be that she got more content with good aligned characters(being one herself) or do neutral aligned ones get all the content available nevertheless?

She is relatively neutral and has not that blind view on good or evil that others may have. Only if you decide to be a truely evil character from the very start, killing innocents etc to keep your reputation low, she is not for you.

She is also a character that will evolve over the game, the more you and her experience during the game the more her views change.

Spoiler

Sorry for so many questions. :P

That is good to know, I though you meant that that since this mod is still being tested and developed then the focus here will for now remain on the technical part. :)

Spoiler

Potentially (technically feasible). I am reluctant to do that myself but would support any modmaker who would have interest for his/her NPC to be there. I will not hijack their NPCs for this.

For the Bioware NPC to be available - this depends on what you did with them previously. There are definitely some that are excluded from joining you again because of their new life and role assigned in RtF

Spoiler

2. So does it mean that RtF is still open to being expanded in the future like new quests or maybe even joinable NPCs, right? That certainly would be nice. Does it also include the content for BG1, BG2 and the ToB part?

3. So depending on how the PC treats her so can the PCs role change in the end ranging from being abandoned/disliked to loved? Interesting. But what about her fate in general? Does learning specific stuff about her and doing quests can affect what happens to her(like whether she dies, continues having adventures, settles down, becomes someone with great influence, becomes particularly favored by her goddess, etc)? And if not then does she potentially get extra talks by the end (which reflect those big past quests) regardless of how her relationship with the PC stands?

4.Hmmm, certainly killing potential romances without having any choice in said matter would be troublesome. However, in BG2 one could romance Jaheira, Viconia and Aerie at the same time and the choice for the PC to make up his mind did not come immediately unless the player acted like a jerk to one of them or strongly hinted being interested which breaks the romance. In Sandrah's case if she claimed the PC to be all hers (like the girls in BG2 forced the PC to choose) then it would certainly be troublesome especially if hers and the PC relationship could get far before even BG2 started.

Yet...if the PC himself/herself did choose to tell Sandrah that he/she only wants to be with her then if the bond between them was at that point strong enough depending on how much support, love and devotion did the PC shown then I see no reason to not make their relationship official before RtF. With the other romances being broken by the PCs own choice. Of course if Sandrah did agree which would as I stated depend on how she was treated all this time. Basically it depends on how things stand on both sides.

How the relationship between Sandrah goes ranging from a friendship, a flirty but not physical relationship, then into an open relationship with physical intimacy and going into devoted passionate romance would be interesting possibilities especially if the way it turns into such could still happen depending on the PCs actions and Sandrah's reaction to those. Maybe even different flirts initiated by the PC depending on how their relationship stands? Or maybe Sandrah seeing love itself differently depending how she is treated? Hmmm...

Well, I'm a big fan of romances so there :P

5. Oh, thanks for the "hintbook" :)

Spoiler

You are indeed a romance lover, it seems.

Anyway, the relationship between the PC involves romance but its not that alone. As both get to know more about their individual background and the story they are both involved in, there will be other bonds. Some revelations may or may not change things all together and there are many instances where the story takes unexpected turns. I will not say much more or all will be spoiled.

A relationship that goes through the whole trilogy and into a next game must have more than the "standard" friendship/romance mods, regardless how well written they are. (I hope I can fulfil this ambition).

Regarding the "biff" part, I think I read somewhere that while it helps in some ways it is also not advised if one plays through many mega mods or something like that as I recall. I used BWS to install the game but since I got still some trouble with command not working I choose this time to go right to the install without any preparations/back ups. I made a copy of my game in  a different folder to be used if I failed while using BWS so I was properly prepared to not install the game itself all the time.

I do not recall having the option of a clean up with BWS though BWP did offer it.

Could the lack of biffing possibly affect the game slowing down in specific areas?

I am not expert for these questions, there are other threads in this forum that answer that. It was just a hint. As long as we are not talking about "stuttering" that only appears when Sandrah is with you, I think it is not related to her - it may be anything in a brandnew installation.

Edited by Roxanne, 29 June 2015 - 04:23 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#243 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:27 AM

Yeah, a bond between two people certainly becomes more interesting if it got more depth than just love or just friendship. With many layers of depth it gives rise to greater character development and that can make the story itself more interesting. Nowadays I noticed that often the quality of a story depends not so much on the plot itself but on how interesting are the characters and how unique are the bonds between them.

And yeah, fan of romance indeed though I enjoy just as much when the game offers many possibilities regardless of whether they are relationship or quest related. I really enjoy different ways to complete a quest and different outcomes based on choices and actions. It feels then as if the game's world itself was being more alive. With so many mods linked and so much content in the mod itself it certainly looked appealing to me from the description which made the effort to make it work worth it :)

And I might try to give this mod another install later with more NPCS included as I choose most quest related mods. Some NPCS seemed to get in the way of other mods and create conflicts so I had to make some reasonable cuts. I should push a bit later. Maybe for another playthrough.

Edited by Samriel, 29 June 2015 - 04:51 AM.

#244 Oracle

Oracle

Bad Doggie Werewolf

• 105 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:34 AM

Hi I got a a bug when loading the crossmod part  on Weidu on the pc version a missing chain file ,

Debug file attached

Attached Files

Edited by Oracle, 29 June 2015 - 11:35 AM.

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

#245 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

Hi I got a a bug when loading the crossmod part  on Weidu on the pc version a missing chain file ,

Debug file attached

Ooops, how could that have remained undetected for so long.

Extract this patch to you game folder, allow to override tp2 when asked, compile again.

Hope it helps, I will include it in the next update.

Thank you for pointing that out.

PS You are missing a nice episode and a good battle by not having BGQE questpack installed.

Edited by Roxanne, 29 June 2015 - 12:32 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#246 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

Samriel - Biffing is a good thing all in all - it will improve your experience with the game as it will run more smoothly.
The downside of biffing is that you won`t be able to uninstall/reinstall mods as their files will be biffed ;)

#247 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:40 AM

Samriel - Biffing is a good thing all in all - it will improve your experience with the game as it will run more smoothly.
The downside of biffing is that you won`t be able to uninstall/reinstall mods as their files will be biffed ;)

Do you know where to look for the biffing option while using BWS? I only saw it offering stuff like test for available links or making back ups.

#248 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

Do you know where to look for the biffing option while using BWS? I only saw it offering stuff like test for available links or making back ups.

If you have installed the game already, you can start it with Setup-generalized_biffing.exe

If you have the mod selection of BWS open it is very much at the end of all the mods - Generalized biffing

Also, if you apply it you can still install or de-install mods in the normal way with weidu. Things only go wrong when a large number of mods need to de-installed and re-installed and there is one of them that needed intervention from a batch or fixpack or similar (like modifying bgmain). In the later case, it can ruin your installation, so take a look at possible issues beforehand (It is described in the pdf manual in the download folder)

Edited by Roxanne, 30 June 2015 - 01:41 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#249 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

If you have installed the game already, you can start it with Setup-generalized_biffing.exe

If you have the mod selection of BWS open it is very much at the end of all the mods - Generalized biffing

Also, if you apply it you can still install or de-install mods in the normal way with weidu. Things only go wrong when a large number of mods need to de-installed and re-installed and there is one of them that needed intervention from a batch or fixpack or similar (like modifying bgmain). In the later case, it can ruin your installation, so take a look at possible issues beforehand (It is described in the pdf manual in the download folder)

Hmmm, but lets say that I plan to try to install another NPC mod which got content with Sandrah...would that actually work given how Sandrah needs to be seemingly installed in the very end? Or could I install a few more mods and then reinstall Sandrah and it would get an "update" regarding the new mods? Also would said process last possibly as long as the installation took place given that possibly for Sandrah to be reinstalled the program would need to reinstall all the mods again or is that not the case?

Regarding the slow downs I noticed that it happens more drastically the more characters are in my group. I also only have 12 GB of free space so could that affect the game? Using an unmodded version of BG1 I experience no slowdowns whatsoever.

Edited by Samriel, 30 June 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#250 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

.would that actually work given how Sandrah needs to be seemingly installed in the very end?

NO. Reinstalling a mod component, actually uninstalls all the mods before it and the component you decide to reinstall, then installs the component and lets you decide what to do with the rest of that mods content, and then it tries to install all the rest of the mods that you had installed before...

Regarding the slow downs I noticed that it happens more drastically the more characters are in my group.

Have you read my FAQs post regarding this issue ?

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#251 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

In which section should I look? Your FAQ is quite impressive...and massive :P

And I checked all the troublesome areas...they are fine if I just use one or two characters.

Regarding biffering is there a chance that doing so after installing the game could make my saves incompatible or cause some sort of glitches/bugs/whatever as a reward for increased speed?

Edited by Samriel, 30 June 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#252 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

I posted the link to the post #5... it goes directly to the section... if you wait a few seconds for it to actually load.
You only need to install the Generalized Biffing after you have installed mods, large mods, mods that do not biff their own data. And doing it as the last step of the install is usually recommended, it does nothing to the info except packages it to more easily to read files by the games own engine. And so installing it in the middle of a game(as long as the game itself is not running) has nothing but beneficial effects to the game. Of course you shouldn't mostly do it because you want to build a game that's done with a standard install which means no installing mods in the middle of playing a game, like explained in the linked post... so no, there's no chance of it causing bad effects on saves.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#253 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:43 AM

I posted the link to the post #5... it goes directly to the section... if you wait a few seconds for it to actually load.
You only need to install the Generalized Biffing after you have installed mods, large mods, mods that do not biff their own data. And doing it as the last step of the install is usually recommended, it does nothing to the info except packages it to more easily to read files by the games own engine. And so installing it in the middle of a game(as long as the game itself is not running) has nothing but beneficial effects to the game. Of course you shouldn't mostly do it because you want to build a game that's done with a standard install which means no installing mods in the middle of playing a game, like explained in the linked post... so no, there's no chance of it causing bad effects on saves.

Should Generalized Biffing be installed in the game folder or it can be installed anywhere?

#254 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:30 AM

Should Generalized Biffing be installed in the game folder or it can be installed anywhere?

It's a weidu mod, link, when you run the the_bigg_biff.rar, you can do that in anywhere, but you need to extract it into the game folder, and then run the setup-generalized_biffing.exe in there.

Edited by The Imp, 01 July 2015 - 01:31 AM.

#255 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:48 AM

Also, when I start BWS I have a message that says "The mod "Infinity Animations" contains characters which are not available in all codepage. A change of the codepage may lead to some errors while displaying characters, since some (older) programs won't have access to characters/symbols of you language. The change requires a restart of your computer and has to be kept during the installation."

Is the mod Infinite Animations so important and does its lack affect potentially the game's performance?

Or something about the codepage...hmmm...

#256 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:41 AM

Or something about the codepage...hmmm...

The Windows non-Unicode codepage thing is also covered in my FAQ, post 4, in the point 3.2... you could just change it for the duration of the install process and the IA mod gets installed fine, and changing it back has no ill effects after the megamod install is completed.

The IA is somewhat recommended, but you can very well play the game without it... as long as you don't really care what the enemies animations look like ... there can be dwarves that look like ice giants for a few seconds and change back to dwarves, depending how they face you and so forth, and a few mods won't install if you don't have it installed. It really has no effect on the performance of the game(unless you don't use the Generalized Biffing, in which case it will make the game slower, as it adds more media files, but that's hardly a noticeable even still, because not using the GenBiff -for short- has more immediate performance snags, like the high end enemy AI -like the SCS's- which should run 15 times a second, at 30FPS).

#257 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:17 AM

I've made a copy of my BG2 with mods including Sandrah and used General Biff on it but when I try to start that version of my game a small window appears with the notice "An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 834".

I wonder what could be the reason. Good that I did not install it in the original copy as I would need to reinstall it all with mods and stuff all over again.

Any advice?

#258 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

I've made a copy of my BG2 with mods including Sandrah and used General Biff on it but when I try to start that version of my game a small window appears with the notice "An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 834".

I wonder what could be the reason. Good that I did not install it in the original copy as I would need to reinstall it all with mods and stuff all over again.

Any advice?

Open baldur.ini in your new game folder with a text editor

look for this section

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=C:\BGII - SoA\English\;C:\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=C:\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\BGII - SoA\English\;C:\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=C:\BGII - SoA\English\;C:\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=C:\BGII - SoA\English\;C:\BGII - SoA\CD4\
CD5:=C:\BGII - SoA\CD5\

The path needs to be changed to the path of your new game directory.

Edited by Roxanne, 02 July 2015 - 07:10 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#259 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, that's what the google search answer for the "An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 834" -line says too.
@Samriel: The fun thing is, you failed to properly make a clone of your game install, and so you should do that properly first... aka, remove the game you have modified, uninstall the primary game, remove that game folder and reinstall the game there again, and then copy the game directory, and properly change the [Alias] -lines in it, start that game and then install the megamod on top of that. So:

Good that I did not install it in the original copy as I would need to reinstall it all with mods and stuff all over again.

Actually no, not at all.

Edited by The Imp, 02 July 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#260 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

Hmmm, got some new questions.

Spoiler

2. Any plans to add maybe some flirts-initiated by the PC- to Sandrah? By that I do not mean just the love talks but ones that depend on how the relationship between her and the PC stands and/or reflects the most current events? Maybe even Sandrah offering some extra advice on what to do? She is already my party counselor so...^^

3. Is Sandrah compatible and/or features content for mods that restore content like Unfinished Business or Almateria Restoration mod? I quite enjoy playing BG/BG2 with all kinds of restored content. :)

Btw I did a reinstall with biffing and the game is no longer slow. Thanks for the help guys!!

Edited by Samriel, 05 July 2015 - 07:05 AM.