Baldur's gate EE v.1.3 unbearable lagging

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hi, I don't know If I posted this on the right place, if not, my apologies. I am beginning  to hate this game with passion, already at Candlekeep my PC on higher resolutions is crawling, and you should see that seagulls in the mid flight. Just pathetic. If I lower resolution on the lowest graphic is horrible but game seem to run smoothly. Same in the Black pits, tried one fight in the arena with full party on higher RES and all is slow motion. Even tried biffing with big biff mod ( renamed it and run on newest WEIDU ) with no luck. My system is AMD Sempron™ 145 Processor 2.80 GHz with 2.00 GB of RAM, 32-bit operating system and windows 7 Home Premium service pack 1. Graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a. Very humble, I know, but it should run that EE c*** without problems. Installed in custom folder on D:, tried running Baldur.exe  in compatibility settings ( could not, errors occurred). Surfed internet for some answers, without result. There are some problems with INTEL cards and drivers but I think that is not reason for this poor performance. Quite depressing actually after so many effort and time spend on looking and  collecting mods and checking so many compatibility threads...

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:10 AM

Weidu.log's content please... and while you are at it, the baldur.ini's too(it should be somewhere in your profile files).

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:46 AM

Here it is:

Spoiler

and :

Spoiler

Hope it helps. 

#4 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:08 AM

I installed generalized biffing  under option 1 before posting here for help,  didn't helped so I uninstalled it. 

#5 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:54 AM

You very likely lack RAM. I have a worse machine than you with Intel graphics but and extra GB of RAM, and EEs work fine, regardelss of mods used.

#6 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

On my old laptop with 8 gb RAM it lags often in heavy battles/with lots of scripts. Primarily due to the wondrous SCS. It's hard to live with and without.

#7 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

Shaitan you might have noticed that the SCS is not in the weidu.log ... kreso's concern here is likely that the RAM runs out because the Windows 7 takes a lots of for itself. Especially if there's other programs running(virus scanners, the etc. kind).

'Window', 'Maximized', '0',
'Window', 'w', '1024',
'Window', 'h', '750'

That's a very odd set of number combination... but then again, my game actually doesn't even set them so.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#8 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

You very likely lack RAM. I have a worse machine than you with Intel graphics but and extra GB of RAM, and EEs work fine, regardelss of mods used.

Quite possibly zemljače. I find it confusing that with biffing at the end I can run whole BWP but I can't this " enhanced " g****** with a few mods. Speaking of which, I uninstalled them all, still imperfect, but much better. So, big biffing doesn't help in this case. Am I doomed to run this without mods or I still have some options?

#9 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

Shaitan you might have noticed that the SCS is not in the weidu.log ... kreso's concern here is likely that the RAM runs out because the Windows 7 takes a lots of for itself. Especially if there's other programs running(virus scanners, the etc. kind).

'Window', 'Maximized', '0',
'Window', 'w', '1024',
'Window', 'h', '750'

That's a very odd set of number combination... but then again, my game actually doesn't even set them so.

Actually, it is Imp, but just Initialize component + some easy of use thingies. I deliberately omitted it just for reason Shaitan stated. But that initialize thing took quite of time to finish so maybe, just maybe it has something to do with it...

#10 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

Quite possibly zemljače. I find it confusing that with biffing at the end I can run whole BWP but I can't this " enhanced " g****** with a few mods. Speaking of which, I uninstalled them all, still imperfect, but much better. So, big biffing doesn't help in this case. Am I doomed to run this without mods or I still have some options?

LOL. Svi smo zapeli sa prehistorijskim kompovima :) . Imo, BGT>EE anyway, ne gubis puno.

#11 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

LOL. Svi smo zapeli sa prehistorijskim kompovima 

Kaki nan je standard dobro da imamo i ovo.  :lol:

Imo, BGT>EE anyway, ne gubis puno.

Definitivno.  :)

#12 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

Imo, BGT>EE anyway

Are we speaking about BG1 part of the game ? You still thing that BG1@BGT is better than BG1EE ? Care to elaborate?

ToBex' Concentration check on damage + repeating eff stacking, for one.

EE can have zoom, gay/bi/Kobold/vampyre/lich romances, laughable kits and items, stoneskin-bypass poison cheese and whatever it wants - it's still nothing compared to old engine + ToBex. 

If I cared about graphics, I'd avoid both BGT and EEs, since when compared to some new (or even older, in case of EE) they're laughable.

I care about customization - and when it comes to that, EE broke more than it fixed, hence BGT>EE

Ascension? The normal, non-bugged version, which doesn't break monk's fists and whoknowswhat? Still "work in progress"? Sigh.  :( 

Refinements?  :(  :(

Right, you can play EE on mobiles - and this is pretty much where it's at actually.

Remember old BG1 slow movements, slow castings? I took days to finish that game.

EE1?

Play a Dwarf Defender (dual-wield, naturally. Who needs a crappy shield?) and pick up Dorn, go poison everyone, everywhere.

My bet is I could finish EE1 within one hour, give or take 15 minutes.

Perfect for iPads when you're on a train or similar, but so is Tetris. And Tetris has a stable frame rate, unlike EE which cramps up the moment Stinking Cloud is cast. 

I may be missing something important, but exactly *what* makes EE better than the old engine? NPCs surely not, since you can freely download specimens which are far better than EE ones. 

New areas are very immersion-breaking since they look as if someone spilled s*** over them.

Zoom is useless, and I really prefer mouse wheel to scroll the combat log.

Graphics are nothing better than 1PPv4, available here at SHS

So, what is actually better, apart de-hardcoded projectiles, which nobody cares about? 

#13 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

And on top of all that it seems that EE is still full of bugs. After my first fight in Black pits I noticed that throwing axes use strength for both melee and missile attack adjustment. Unless I'm mistaken so that  it is some new feature or maybe it uses whichever is better? 

#14 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:48 AM

Wow, throwing axes use BOTH strength and dexterity for range hit adjustment. I must admit that is a very cool feature and does make sense imo. Excellent choice for cavalier. 

#15 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

kreso, you don't have to play new NPC/new map/use poisoned weapon overpowered ability. 

From time to time, I "want" to use poison. Should I take special care not to use it vs a stoneskined mage, since that is pure crap implementation probably based around Dorn so people who never played original game would see new areas/get new items/say how "cool" and powerful he is? 

I'll pass, tyvm. If I was 8 years old, I'd dig him somewhat. 

Ability to play on tablets means nothing for you?

Apsolutely nothing, zip, nada. I don't even have a tablet. :whistling:

It seems to despise EE no matter if engine someday will have you most precious features or not. 

Someday....right. When that day comes, I'll sing EE praises.

Just want to say that EE is not so terrible as some people want to be.

Believe me, I'm the last person who'd want EE to be as terrible as it is. It does have improvements (like you say - and I think I said the same several months ago - it's load times are infinitely faster). But when one looks at

a) all the stuff that's messed up to the core

b) all the stuff they could have done (with code access they have), but didn't

c) all the stuff they did badly

for me, the conclusion which game is more playable is unfortunately fairly simple. 

What seems to me is that EE is sold mostly (if not completely) due to mods (and the fact that BG2 is an exellent game by itself - but this has litteraly *nothing* to do with EE), not the game quality.

Same can be said for BG2 today - but BG2 origins from 2000, when it was a work of genius.

With almost *15* years in between them, billions of various forum pages about the game balancing/great mods/useless features/wannabe improvements etc. you get... zoom? :doh:  

#16 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

I'm utterly and completely disappointed with this rubbish. Changing ini.file, downloading newest drivers, changing compatibility setting, nothing seems to help. For all you poor souls who spent so much effort and time to make this garbage work like me I only have one advice. After searching for eternity on internet for some actually helpful solution I only find this: change resolution of your monitor on 800:600 scale. Crude and simple solution but it seems to work. Lagging is completely gone but I am fed up with this "enhanced" bug hive. Can't even scroll mouse left or right sometimes after zooming without keyboard. Such a waste of time...

#17 -Anon-

-Anon-

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

The problem may be because you are running your game in a virtual machine, which was my problem.  You need to increase the power of your virtual machine like RAM and CPU speed, because the settings after installation of your virtual machine are generally minimal.  Make sure that your virtual OS is off before you change the settings, or you won't have the option to do so.

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

The problem may be because you are running your game in a virtual machine, which was my problem.  You need to increase the power of your virtual machine like RAM and CPU speed, because the settings after installation of your virtual machine are generally minimal.  Make sure that your virtual OS is off before you change the settings, or you won't have the option to do so.

Yeah, you probably shouldn't be running the EE games on a virtual OS anyways, as the game is out in most of them.

Even the Windows'es own OS modes are not recommended, one should just learn to play the games as they ought to ... aka not in the OS drive, or if there, then in the users own profile folders:

(C:\Users\<username>\<games>\<Gamename>)

Edited by The Imp, 30 June 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#19 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

I run BGT in a virtual Windows XP install in VirtualBox - all free/old software - and it runs great.

#20 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:12 AM

@subtledoctor, you meant to say:

"I run a Windows BGT via in a virtual Windows XP install in VirtualBox - it's from a Windows BG1:TotSC & BG2:ToB - <insert rest of the non corporate shilling> ..

:devil: :devil:
After which you need to pimp your ride by installing the Generalized Biffing... in most cases.

Edited by The Imp, 12 July 2017 - 09:33 AM.