The Spellhold Forums is in of some serious cleaning "badly"

Forum

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Falagar

Falagar
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:27 PM

I noticed over the years here at SHS that many topics across the forum groups are very outdated, and do not reflect the current changes. Most forum groups on here seem to suffer from this. What I propose is that all outdated topics be archived for all developers to look at past problems, and give the forums a clean slate, and up-to-date information for all mods currently being hosted on SHS, especially BGT's compatibility list topic because there has been many changes since 2012 judging by the date when I read the topic. This problem will only continue to grow, and cause future users on here to be very confused on what is what. I know in the end this is just a pastime hobby for most modders here, but there should be some consideration for the players that play the mods. I believe any topic that started some years back will need to be moved to archive, and any information that is still needed should be pulled into a new topic to keep it up-to-date as of 2015 as a way to tell players/modders "this is what we have done so far, and what is currently still in discussion". As of right now the topics are entering as I would like to call ancestor topics, and need to be removed, and allow a more-up-to-date topic be made in it's place if there is still something that needs to be discussed/work-in-progress/what is fixed/what is not fixed/etc.

Also I'm sure the pinned topics should be refreshed if certain information is no longer valid.

Because my goodness, alot of progress has been made since 20XX to 2015.

Such a plan of this magnitude would probably create a small disruption, but I believe it would be worth it for everyone involved.

Also at this point I'm going to try to help out on what is currently trending such as for example the mini-quests for BG1 over at G3 forums (because there is a new beta version currently in open-testing that has not been mentioned on here yet). I guess in a way I would be the news guys that helps keep everyone informed. I will have a dedicated topic to it, and post occasionally. It's a small thing I'm willing to do because I love you guys, and the mods you all make.

Also I really urge the players, and testers to start grouping the bugs into one dedicated topic that way the devs can keep up what is going on with the mods, and see what other mods is not playing nice with it. It would save a lot of time, and probably alot of headaches for the devs because they will have all right there to look at. (Given there is a few topics like this, but it needs to be put in practice more).

I hope I don't come off like I'm trying to run the place (which I'm not), but it's just concerns that I had for these forums for years.

Edited by Falagar, 10 April 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:53 PM

I noticed over the years here at SHS that many topics across the forum groups are very outdated, and do not reflect the current changes. Most forum groups on here seem to suffer from this. What I propose is that all outdated topics be archived for all developers to look at past problems...
Or just leave them be and have them archived as a part of the forum and not a special division of it. Think, it's still allowed, right. A suggestion of a clean slate is nice, but don't you thing that we could be hiding something after all of a sudden there's like 10 topics and nothing more.
The BGT-weidu's compatibility thread is still heavily correct, it's not like the v1 of Amber mod is going to ever be compatible with it. Yes, there's new versions of this and that mod, but it's not Ascension64's headache cause he hasn't been here for years. Being retired and all that.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Falagar

Falagar
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:12 PM

I understand, It's just the players themselves may want to get straight answers to what might be currently in the trends instead of searching hopelessly from topic to topic years worth old topics just to gather the information. That is why I suggested any information that is relevant should be pulled out of the old topics, and into new ones so players can keep up with the modders, and modders can keep up with the players depending what the topic is.

The site to me is falling very slowly into disrepair, and even the frontpage of this website has not budged since 2012 by the looks of it. SHS is literally one of the last major IE modding sites that is still somewhat active aside from the german site (which I can't think of the name right now), but there should be some care for it. Also I noticed that drama has caused some problems over the years, and giving SHS a bit of a bad rep developer wise (which has nothing to do with the players). I noticed recently two major developers have issues with SHS, and this is a shame. To me the purpose of the modding scene is working together, and not trying to poke holes in eachother's armor for whatever gain.

I look at Almateria's project, and to me that is like a big revival of the Baldur's gate modding scene that has breathed some life into these forums just knowing there was a lot of broken, and unused material waiting to be used, and now drama happened. I don't wish to see that when something this good has happened that SHS has not had in a long time, let's not drive another developer away.

At this point I'm kind of rambling like a old man because there is so many problems besides just forum/topic problems.

Edited by Falagar, 10 April 2015 - 09:31 PM.

#4 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:00 PM

What I propose is that all outdated topics be archived for all developers to look at past problems, and give the forums a clean slate, and up-to-date information for all mods currently being hosted on SHS
I'm totally against this idea. There's already dedicated place with the most updated information - respective readmes. SHS is not some wiki, it's a place where I come for updated info, outdated info, old discussions, ideas eventually proved wrong, or simply to see how something developed over the course of years. What you propose is to castrate SHS into some stupid encyclopedia without any actual reason. Hope this won't happen.
I look at Almateria's project, and to me that is like a big revival of the Baldur's gate modding scene ... something this good has happened that SHS has not had in a long time
You have a special kind of bias, don't you?

Edited by Creepin, 10 April 2015 - 11:38 PM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:00 AM

SHS moderators really need to be more active with pinning and depinning of threads (e.g. Megamod Help Forum, BWP15 vs. pinned BWP v14 etc. Is there a shortage of active moderators currently?

As a mod developper I am against the idea that collecting all bugs of all mods in one thread is a good idea - as much as I appreciate the "problems with my Megamod install" threads, it is very tedious to follow them to find the bug reports related to my mod(s) and risk of missing the one important post is high.

#6 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

I don't agree with the method proposed, but I do agree with the assessment of the problem.  Just going through some of the semi-active mods, it's clear there was a schism around the time of BGEE.  Just looking at the various changelog shows that most efforts since then have been focused on compatibility with EE.

My own selfish interest is primarily with ToBEx, which still doesn't seem to be in anything close to a final form, despite the (lead) author quitting (unofficial) modding nearly 3 years ago.  Erephine's last public post was 3 years ago, and I still can't tell what is supposed to be the last best version of her 1PP mod.

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 12 April 2015 - 10:26 PM.

#7 Giuseppe

Giuseppe
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

I agree that something should be done, because there are too many outdated threads, broken links et similia.

I think that opening a thread where users can report these issues would be a good start.

#8 Giuseppe

Giuseppe
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:29 AM

@ALIEN

Sorry - I did not know that thread. You had a great idea and in the next days I will post my report there.

#9 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:42 PM

It doesn't help that such a small community is still spread out over so many sites like it's still 2002.  It might be time to pay GoDaddy and host this stuff ourselves if none of the old guard is willing to consolidate.

#10 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:03 PM

It doesn't help that such a small community is still spread out over so many sites like it's still 2002.  It might be time to pay GoDaddy and host this stuff ourselves if none of the old guard is willing to consolidate.

Go ahead, split the community even more ! You might get a few 1000 hits, but that's where it will stay for a very long time I bet.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#11 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

Go ahead, split the community even more ! You might get a few 1000 hits, but that's where it will stay for a very long time I bet.

It's already split.  Maybe people that have been involved for 10+ years are fine with their stack of bookmarks.  One site for 2 mods, another for a discussion between 3 people, 5 more for 5 other mods.

It can't get any worse than the shitshow it already is.  This should have been done years ago.

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 13 April 2015 - 05:04 PM.

#12 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:08 PM

I said go a head, no one is forcing you to ... ouh yeah, you can't force people to hop to a train and ride along with it. The communities grew up where they liked and no one cared to make a nexusmods.com based megalithic moding forum with a forum for each game. Cause the site didn't exist then.

The sites are unlikely to die any time soon, yes, there's less traffic, and that might just unite a few of them, but they are unlikely to combine to one today, and well I can still find plenty here and in G3 and sometimes at PPG. Yes, there was actual movement towards to a single site in the past as Solaufein resurrected a plenty of the old sites under his umbrella, but his interest towards that has ceased.

#13 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

Hmm, that's too bad.

Has anyone ever discussed just having the forums moved, but not the files?  Not a do-it-all like Nexus, but just a front page where everyone active might sign in before moving on to their regular spot?  For anyone with a question, or a need, or an idea, it's either spam every one of these sites or risk only 3 people ever seeing it, much less responding with anything useful.

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 13 April 2015 - 08:04 PM.

#14 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:52 AM

It's already split.  Maybe people that have been involved for 10+ years are fine with their stack of bookmarks.  One site for 2 mods, another for a discussion between 3 people, 5 more for 5 other mods.
Of course not! I, personally, waited for 11 years for a brave 15 days-old member to come and shower me with this revelation. Thank you for this gems of wisdom, now kindly take them to where they are welcome.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#15 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

Bad day?

#16 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

I said go a head, no one is forcing you to ... ouh yeah, you can't force people to hop to a train and ride along with it. The communities grew up where they liked and no one cared to make a nexusmods.com based megalithic moding forum with a forum for each game. Cause the site didn't exist then.

The sites are unlikely to die any time soon, yes, there's less traffic, and that might just unite a few of them, but they are unlikely to combine to one today, and well I can still find plenty here and in G3 and sometimes at PPG. Yes, there was actual movement towards to a single site in the past as Solaufein resurrected a plenty of the old sites under his umbrella, but his interest towards that has ceased.

I'm around, just very busy with RL nonsense. I have something community related being worked on, but its a very big beast to work on and time consuming. ;)

Being a big believer in preserving the past, its a good idea to put old ideas in archive and never delete it. Mod ideas that aren't being worked on should be put in a section that is for dead mods. Mods that are complete but have no support by the modder, that is the administrators responsibility to make sure info and the mod is up to date. Or the administrator can find someone who can keep the mod updated to EE standards. I try to do this at my community.

Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#17 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:23 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Falagar" data-cid="576761" data-time="1428729134">
I look at Almateria's project, and to me that is like a big revival of the Baldur's gate modding scene that has breathed some life into these forums just knowing there was a lot of broken, and unused material waiting to be used, and now drama happened. I don't wish to see that when something this good has happened that SHS has not had in a long time, let's not drive another developer away.</blockquote>

I think I like you.

#18 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:29 PM

What I don't like is the broken IPS script.

Anyway, text me

#19 Falagar

Falagar
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:22 AM

I'm glad most users that have responded so far have given mature responses except for Creepin'. (Given my entrance into this site was not so flattering), but that's a different story. I greatly encourage you all to come up with some ideas, and see what can be agreed on. ;)

Well whatever SHS can come up with it then it would greatly appreciated. As for the need for new staff. I'm thinking maybe you guys can check out the official BG forums. There is alot of action going on there, and someone there might be willing to help. (I don't know if it allows advertising though). There seems to some new and up and coming modders coming from that site too.

Edited by Falagar, 16 April 2015 - 12:38 AM.

#20 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:34 PM

I won't say how old I am, or my career, but I have found that even bad ideas are far more valuable than no ideas, and no ideas are far more valuable than a statement like "there should be no more ideas" or "it hasn't worked before".

I love archives because it saves redundancy.  There's no shame in a great mod no longer being actively changed.  I simply think the BG community could benefit from having a "foyer" type site that people go through before heading off to their familiar rooms.  No one is being asked to give up control or influence.