Baldur's Gate custom portrait help

gate portrait baldurs custom portraits

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 -Genie-

-Genie-

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:39 AM

Hey all, so I used to play this game all the time as a kid, and I ordered the four pack edition from amazon. I am running Windows 8 and want to use custom portraits. I know I did this all the time back in the day, but I can't get it to work now. Either I'm missing something or W8 is, as is usual, being an a**hat. This isn't the Enhanced Edition (I don't think) and there's no Black Isles folder in "Documents". 

I put the Portraits folder where I think is correct, but now I'm not sure. It won't let me save and photos in the folder. I'm providing a link here to the screenshot I took of the error message I receive. You can see the location of the folder. What's annoying is that I have administrative rights. I'm logged in as the administrator. Has anyone had problems like this or error messages as such with other programs and knows how to fix it? 

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

Well, install the game to the documents...
Or actually to your own profile files if you have to use the C drive, then use this directory: C:\Users\<username>\ .... as that's the only directory you have a full access to. This is indeed because the W8 that you have to. As all the attempted changes you try to enforce are actually stored to around here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ subfolders, which is indeed a hidden folder, and the game can't load things from there.

Edited by The Imp, 19 April 2015 - 07:23 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -Genie-

-Genie-

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

Well, install the game to the documents...
Or actually to your own profile files if you have to use the C drive, then use this directory: C:\Users\<username>\ .... as that's the only directory you have a full access to. This is indeed because the W8 that you have to. As all the attempted changes you try to enforce are actually stored to around here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ subfolders, which is indeed a hidden folder, and the game can't load things from there.

Thank you! That worked. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Sometimes I feel like an old lady when it comes to technology.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gate, portrait, baldurs, custom portraits