Orc Priests and Aerial Servants

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rakhu

Rakhu
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hi,

My party is almost level 8 on average, and consists of Jaheira, Kivan, Viconia, Jet'Laya, Imoen and me (cleric/mage).

Hit points vary between 60 and 80.

I just started the DSotSC part in BG1, and met an interesting group of enemies: 2 Orc Priests, 2 Orc Mages, 4 Orc Archers, 4 Orcs (Warriors), and 1 Ogre Mage...

Don't get me wrong: I like challenges, really. But with lvl 4 spells there is only so much you can do against Orc Priests spamming Bless, Chant, Defensive Harmony, Monster Summoning 3, and Aerial Servants, while the Orc Mages spam Immunity to Magic Weapons, Flesh to Stone, Chaos, Hold Person etc.

Actually, one summoned Aerial Servant alone is enough to kill the whole party - they are permanently invisible, hasted, and deal 30+ damage per hit. I can't even outrun it till it's time runs out - because after 15 minutes it was still there. And imagine my joy when I tried to kill that pesky priest meanwhile with the rest of my party, and that smug b*stard just summoned a second servant. His mage buddy was faster though in flesh to stoning my main char... game over.

I did not install any "**** me up hard, I'm a masochist and like it" mods that I knew of, but I did install this mod because I thought it rather balanced. Are Aerial Servants really supposed to be summoned by mere Orc Priests in BG1? Or did something mess up the spell lists of mages and priests? They are lvl 6 spells after all, so actually they shouldn't show up in BG1 at all.

Is it still possible after having installed the game to modify creatures without causing havoc in the game?

I'll have to do a lot of editing I think, because in the next part of Wood of Sharp Teeth I ran into 8 Skeleton Lords all doing a synchronized casting of lightning, instantly killing my whole party while I was still busy trying to cast Resist Fear...

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

Did you install the SCS or BP ?

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:28 AM

Sounds outright horribly. What about a weidu.log? No fun in getting burned without having a chance.

#4 Rakhu

Rakhu
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

Here is the Weidu.log - I hope I didn't leave anything fishy inside, after running BG1 till Cloak Wood mine for 3 times till I got the current working setup, I really want to enjoy the rest of the game instead of starting allover :ermm:

Attached Files

#5 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

This isn't really aTweaks problem (not that I think Aerial Servant is balanced - this thing is powerful enough to clear vanilla BG2 alone, but anyway).

The problem is in the mod which makes Orcs so high-leveled, and then SCS simply extends their scripts to make full use of their levels.

I ran into 8 Skeleton Lords all doing a synchronized casting of lightning, instantly killing my whole party while I was still busy trying to cast Resist Fear...

Awesome.  :ROFL:

#6 Rakhu

Rakhu
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

So... which mod would cause that high level? I've attached change logs of both orc03.cre (Orc Priest) and orc04.cre (Orc Mage). I see that SCS does some AI improvement, but I'm not sure how this works exactly. I ran into Orc Priests and Mages earlier in the game during SoBH, and they were nowhere near that tough. What causes them to be such meanies in DSotSC?

Attached Files

#7 Rakhu

Rakhu
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:07 PM

More important for me, how can I fix this? Is it ok to just delete some spells using Near Infinity, or will this break my game (later on maybe)? Or can I decrease their level?

Edited by Rakhu, 27 April 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#8 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:31 PM

So... which mod would cause that high level? I've attached change logs of both orc03.cre (Orc Priest) and orc04.cre (Orc Mage). I see that SCS does some AI improvement, but I'm not sure how this works exactly. I ran into Orc Priests and Mages earlier in the game during SoBH, and they were nowhere near that tough. What causes them to be such meanies in DSotSC?

NToTSC gives them levels, apperantly. It was never (I guess) assumed to be used with SCS scripting. You could maybe restore them from SCS backup, that could work and give you "normal" challenge. 

#9 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:40 PM

It's the mod that uses the creatures(orc03.cre and orc04.cre) in the area they are... they are supposed to be the unedited BG2 creatures in areas where you are around the levels 10 to 15.
The reason why I asked about the SCS indeed is that it enhances the creatures, but it doesn't just extend their scripts, it makes the creatures themselves better.
More important for me, how can I fix this? Is it ok to just delete some spells using Near Infinity, or will this break my game (later on maybe)? Or can I decrease their level?
One way to do this is to open the <gamefolder>\stratagems_external\backup\stratagems\ -folder, search for the two .cre -files and copy the ones in lowest number folder back to the <gamefolder>\override\ -folder.

The ones in:
<gamefolder>\stratagems_external\backup\stratagems\6000\ -folder could be a good ones.

Edited by The Imp, 27 April 2015 - 12:45 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#10 Rakhu

Rakhu
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:28 PM

Should that affect creatures in areas that I have already been to as well? The mages, priests and skeleton lords are still there and nasty... looks like a case for Ctrl-Y :blush:

#11 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

With NI you can edit the CREs in save files.  Otherwise, there's no way to affect anything in AREs you've already been to.