Photo

Strength for slings in "fixed" BGT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kale

kale
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

So I'm playing BGT-WeiDU with the BG2 Fixpack, meaning the second game's engine will govern the first game's content; in BG1, if I recall correctly, strength damage was applied to slings, and this was completely annulled (a justified bugfix) by the BG2 fixpack...does anyone know what I could change to restore some use to slings for my time spent in the first game?

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

...does anyone know what I could change to restore some use to slings for my time spent in the first game?

The normal slings do quite well without the STR bonus damage to them, as they also have the dex bonuses... the slings are launchers, so you get the dex bonuses without asking, but you also get the close range penalty'es(+4 to Armor Class and damage luck dice when engaged by a melee opponent).

You could make the slings not to be slings/launchers... but that's one hell of a hack that's really not to be taken lightly. You can adjust the STR's back by just editing the items to have the STR bonuses with Near Infinity or DLTCEP.

Or you could just cheat, by just poping yourself a few extra slng07 items with the console:

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("slng07")

And then you'll have a +2 slings that give the bonus damage from the STR too.
As you can see from that item, the STR bonus is supposed to be a special feature of that one special item.

Edited by The Imp, 12 May 2015 - 02:09 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 kale

kale
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

Slings do get to-hit from dex, but they're still really bad weapons... they don't have any cool bullets in the first game, even. I guess it seems like an unbalanced thing to want, but that is the mechanic in BG1.

Maybe I'll play normally in the meantime, and try my hand at your suggestions later if I feel like my sorc and divine casters are more useless than they deserve to be lol

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

... if I feel like my sorc and divine casters are more useless than they deserve to be lol

The thing with that is, usually when you would play a regular character, you wouldn't necessarily even have the STR score so high that it would even matter on the weapon... considering you have to also have high DEX and considerable CON scores, to not get hit nor one shot killed, so...

Yeah, the slings don't have much utility as a ranged weapons for those chars, but it's not the end of the world, as the caster chars should have magical items that they can use to enhance the party's ability to fight... wands and some potions should give that quite well if used properly in proper place. Unfortunately the Sorcerer's lore score is not up to par even in the Fixpack, as the table that sets it forgot to include the class in the first place, so they get 1 per level instead of the same mages would get, which is still only 3 per level.

Now there are a lots of mods that add items, and other affiliates rules to different parts of the game and using them is free, so you could take advantage of them, and not consider that the original game had this or that, as you are the end all rule setter with the mods that you decide to install.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.