BG2+ToB mods

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mbolism

Mbolism

Barbarian Grandmaster of Staves

• 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

I've installed my Gog version of BG2+Tob on my laptop, and want to playthrough more casually.

I used BWS to do all my modding on my main comp, but can't use that since I don't have BG1 installed here on this laptop.

My question is this:

Is there some way to use BWS to install the mods I want without BG1 installed?
If not, ok

Is there a list of the basic, no brainer essentials for my setup?  Fixes, tweaks, etc.?
I want to have unfinished business, ascention and any fixpacks ofc.

Also, once these are complete and installed, I'd like to playthough with NPC's again, but would like to edit their stats.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance. :)

"Keep out of debt and owe no man anything..." Romans 13:8

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

First of all, you could just copy the ENTIRE game folder from your main computer to your laptop, with the help of a a USB device(flash drive or external hard drive with enough space), and start the game with the bgmain.exe and only worry about having the BG2 play CD on a drive and you are good to go.
And yes, you can install the BWS using just the BG2, as you can put just the - mark to the BG1 directory when it's asked and that will remove the BG1(as in BGT-weidu) mods from the selection. Of course if you do this, the saves won't be compatible between the computers, unlike when you copy the game they will be.

NPCs can be edited with any savegame editor, usually most use the Shadowkeeper with the non-EE version of the game, as the EE version has it's own editor( EE-keeper, if my memory serves).

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Mbolism

Mbolism

• 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

Ok, so I think you are saying this:

I can just simply install both full games (BG1 and BG2) with full expansions, just like on my home computer, and then simply just copy everything over top of the laptop installation and pick up where I left off?  That would be amazing, as I would RATHER do that anyway, so I don't have to re-install everything again, which is a LONG process. :)

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:32 PM

You don't have to install the game to the other computer at all, as just copying the game files is enough. You of course have to make sure that when you make the copy, that the game paths at the baldur.ini file's [Alias] portion direct to the right place, but that's usually easy to do as you can just place the copy to the same directory as it was in the original computer. Or you can edit the file with Notepad. This is how I had 11 BG2 games running(as in playable, one at  a time with different BGMain.exe's) at the same time ones.

Edited by The Imp, 25 June 2015 - 01:42 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Mbolism

Mbolism

• 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

What about registry and all that? 

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

You mean the Windows registry entry... it doesn't matter as you play the game from the BGMain.exe and not from the baldur.exe that starts the front end program that then can use the Windows registry to find the BGMain.exe in the game directory to start the game. So you just bypass stupidity... that doesn't allow an actual second install and all that.

And to remove the game, you just delete the game folder and clean your "Recycle Bin".

Edited by The Imp, 25 June 2015 - 02:51 PM.

#7 Mbolism

Mbolism

• 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:45 PM

Haha.  Brilliant!
Thanks!

#8 Mbolism

Mbolism

• 116 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

Edited by Mbolism, 26 June 2015 - 07:50 AM.