Photo

Multimod installation following BWP guidelines...latest attempt

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

Heh, yeah, the fact that the hardware is Mac is irrelevant, as I run IE games using a virtual machine. It's also possible to install and run Win7 natively on my computer, but I've never warmed up to the idea of doing that.

I'm fairly sure my current weidu.log is the same as the last one I posted, but maybe I should slap it up again, just to be sure. I'll do that soon.

Party is currently just entering Sendai's enclave. Game saved after party dispatched the first group of enemies inside.

I'll also post about some errors in dialogue I've noticed, if I remember to.

Working and playing under Windows 7 Ultimate on a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Still writing Erysseril NPC mod...

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in active development.
A female elf wilderness warrior and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more? (Maybe, if I ever finish the mod)

#22 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

Attached is the weidu.log of the big mess installation on which I'm currently playing.

Interestingly (?), Solaufein has nothing to say to my PC during the post-Saradush portion of the game. I don't know if that's because he has no more dialogue at all, or if perhaps a variable isn't set correctly. When I click on him to have my PC talk to him, he has nothing to say, and then complains about my choice of timing for a talk, then adds a line to say that he has seen nothing. He isn't initiating conversation with any party members anymore. The party is about to face Sendai.

Attached Files

Edited by EricP, 29 August 2015 - 04:39 PM.

Working and playing under Windows 7 Ultimate on a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in active development.
A female elf wilderness warrior and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more? (Maybe, if I ever finish the mod)

#23 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

Here are some dialogue/text errors I've noticed while playing:

Haer’Dalis - Because ’tis a Nexus, Kivan, the intersection of all trade roots in the Multiverse, the City of Doors and the Cage.

S/B “…trade routes…”

Haer’Dalis - “Worst than that, my kestrel.”

S/B “Worse than that…”

Ribald - “All I do now is sell various wears for younger adventurers to forge legends of their own!”

S/B “…various wares…”

Kitanya - “I wish you could see this city in all it’s glory. Like this, it brings a tear to my eye.”

S/B “…all its…”

Kitanya - “What is this? Irenicus’s magics consumed me, of that I am sure. I certainly never expected to come to this place upend death, however.”

S/B “…Irenicus’ magics…”

(Inside one of the houses in Suldanesselar)

3: - Press the Rune of Corellan Lotharian.

S/B “…Rune of Corellon Larethian.”

I haven't investigated to learn if the Haer'Dalis content is vanilla, or if it comes from a mod. Should I report these elsewhere? If so, where?

#24 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:02 PM

You can usually locate which mod added a line by searching for the line within all .tra files inside your game directory (using grep or a 'Find in Files' feature of a text editor).

#25 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

Haer’Dalis - Because ’tis a Nexus, Kivan, the intersection of all trade roots in the Multiverse, the City of Doors and the Cage.

S/B “…trade routes…”

Haer’Dalis - “Worst than that, my kestrel.”

S/B “Worse than that…”

Kivan

Ribald - “All I do now is sell various wears for younger adventurers to forge legends of their own!”

S/B “…various wares…”

Kitanya - “I wish you could see this city in all it’s glory. Like this, it brings a tear to my eye.”

S/B “…all its…”

Kitanya - “What is this? Irenicus’s magics consumed me, of that I am sure. I certainly never expected to come to this place upend death, however.”

S/B “…Irenicus’ magics…”

Kitanya

3: - Press the Rune of Corellan Lotharian.

S/B “…Rune of Corellon Larethian.”

Vanilla BG2 (fixed by BG2Fixpack) & CtB (not fixed by anything :P)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#26 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

Fixed by BG2 Fixpack? That's odd, because I always install that, even including the Super Secret Component.

OK, I'll send messages to the developers of Kivan (Domi?) and Kitanya. Not sure if the mods are still maintained, but I guess I'll soon find out ;)

Thanks!

#27 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

Maybe you're seeing the Lorathians added by CtB then ;)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#28 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

One of the two NPCs is no longer maintained, from what I can see. As for CtB, I may have to live with the pain, until I decide that the mod no longer interests me.

#29 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

Another oddity is that there is no game music when I'm at the screen to choose between an SoA and a ToB game. I probably did something incorrectly when installing 1PP HQ Music.

#30 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Miraculously, the game behaves all the way up to the final save, when the party exits the Pocket Plane to enter the Throne of Bhaal area! :) I'll call this installation a 99% success. It would be 100%, but there's the issue I mentioned before with the game music, related to 1PP HQ Music. I'll see if I can resolve that in the next installation, which will begin after I've finished the final battle (no small task with Ascension installed!).

Edited by EricP, 10 October 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#31 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:16 PM

Accidentally deleted the entire installation. D'oh! :doh:

I'll say that, without 1PP HQ Music (which I can't get to install properly at all, and don't know how to resolve), this installation is sufficiently stable and cooperative to be playable.

Now, I've built another, expanded multimod installation. If test games prove favorable, I'll post the weidu.log and recommend the installation.

#32 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

Yet another installation...this one functions as it should into Chapter 2, with one exception: if I take my PC into Candlekeep Chores, the woman (Clarissa?) in the kitchen doesn't acknowledge that milk has been collected, so it can't be delivered to her. Easy enough to skip and continue playing, but if anyone knows how to solve that, I'd be most grateful :)

Here's the latest mess...should serve well as a guideline for multimod installations that don't use the automated BWS system (yes, I install everything manually).

Attached Files

#33 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

Hi EricP:

Two comments.

I use Windows 7 Pro in BootCamp on an iMAC.  Beats my other PCs that have Windows 7 Pro.  With BootCamp, you can use any Windows from XP to 8.1.  You will have no problems with your hardware and BGT game.

BWS is is very good, but takes some time to learn.  I had problems with using it in the beginning but now find it comfortable to generate a mega-mod game.  The people behind it are not to keen with using version numbers which I do not agree with.  Today I found out that it has been set to auto update (I guess like Windows updates) and I really do not like that at all.  But that is my personal preference.  My game, which I finally got installed today is working great.  No problem with BWS or hardware, but problems with a few mods that had bugs.  My mega-mod game has ~290 mods (~900 components).  When I chose the components and used BWP, had some fatal errors.  With BWS checking my selections and fixing my choices, I have eliminated many of the problems I had in my older games.  If the authors put together a "BWS for Dummies" book, it would help.  The information is there, but in scattered places.

Check my recent posts.  I post under the name "tomkaz".

Tom

#34 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

Tom: As of today, BWS will log the "commit" version in the weidu.log comment for the setup-bws.tp2 entry. When you say that you prefer version numbers, do you mean less frequent updates? As for the auto-update feature, it is not mandatory (if you do not install Git for Windows, it will skip the auto-update now). What do you dislike about it?

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#35 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:27 AM

Hi agb1:

I may have misunderstood how the automatic update works, but I do not like automatic updates do to the fact that I have received updates in the past that I did not want from Microsoft.  I would rather select the updates myself so I do not get trash.  For example, I have Windows 7 and Microsoft slipped in an ad for Windows 10 as an update.  It popped up at the most inconvenient times.  Now, I know that you will not put in ads, but my past experiences with others have made me dislike all automatic updates.  I guess you might say you are paying for the sins of others.

I do not use BWS frequently and it only takes seconds to get an update.  So I do not see any value with automatic updates.  I expect it will take me 15 weeks to finish my current game.  I am retired so I play at least 6 hours per day almost every day.  Which means that if all goes well, I will not need the latest version for about 4 months.  I do not want to take a chance of having an update installed that could interfere or mess up my current game.  Also, I have no need for the new benefits an improved BWS might provide because I would need to restart the game after it was installed.  If a new update fixes a problem, without forcing me to restart my game from the beginning, then I would reconsider getting automatic updates.

Right now, I am very happy with my BWS install as the sound, graphics, and action of the game are much better than when I had to make my own corrections.  That could also be the affect of play it on an iMAC.  I expect that the existing problems cause by poorly written mods will also be fixed or eliminated in future versions of BWS.  So I look forward to the future versions in my next game.

BWS is a great program and I expect it will get better.

Tom

#36 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:56 AM

I may have misunderstood how the automatic update works

I expect it will take me 15 weeks to finish my current game. I am retired so I play at least 6 hours per day almost every day. Which means that if all goes well, I will not need the latest version for about 4 months. I do not want to take a chance of having an update installed
Well, in this the BWS won't automatically do a thing, cause you'll never need to start the BWS in the time you are not installing mods, aka the time you don't start the BiG World Setup.vbs ...
As that's the moment the BWS automatic update is ran "automatically", to get the latest updates and references to mod upload locations etc. As the game itself doesn't need the BWS and could care less what other things are attached to it.

That's what the automatic update means in this case... not a computer virus that devours space when you are not looking at it. Like the one Windows has as you have to start the Windows to play a thing... as it's the operation system, not an external software ....

Edited by The Imp, 05 February 2016 - 06:57 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#37 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

Hi The Imp:

I tried ti install Eric's game.  Found out how the update works.  Not like automated Windows updates, but works well for the BWS update.

Hi Eric:

I tried to install you game from your WeiDU.log file.  Here is what I did in BWS:

Page 1 - Select Langage
Page 2 - Select game-type Baldur's Gate 2 / Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT) Customization
Page 3 - Choose a pre-selection Wish there was a "No Pre-selection" option.  Tried "Your latest selection"
Page 3 - Choose Mods & Comps
Page 4 - Add - Select "All"
page 4 - Options - Select "Import selection from WeiDu.log" (Eric's log)
(Matching BWS selections with WeiDU.log is difficult)
Installation failed.

Here are some of th problems that BWS found:

Many conflicts with the component choices.

"Expert" mods. Expert mods are known to have problems and cause crashes.

Some mods needed to be updated to the latest versions.

Unless someone can give a better explanation of how BWS makes a BGII - SoA game, I recommend using BiG World Project.  If you have not already done so, download the BiG World Project v15.6 pdf file.  It gives all the details about BWP, how to edit, and the details of mods and components.

Tom 

Edited by tomkaz, 05 February 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#38 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Page 3 - Choose a pre-selection Wish there was a "No Pre-selection" option.  Tried "Your latest selection"
Choose the "Minimal" pre-selection.

Page 4 - Add - Select "All"
This step is unnecessary because of the next step you did.

page 4 - Options - Select "Import selection from WeiDu.log" (Eric's log)
This replaces everything that was selected before with the components from the imported WeiDU log.

(Matching BWS selections with WeiDU.log is difficult)
The import should accurately select all of the components in the WeiDU log and nothing else.  The only caveat is that BWS will revert to default "answers" for any components that are coded to prompt the user during install, because such answers are not stored in the WeiDU log.  An example of this is the BG2 Tweaks component called "romance cheats" that is a single component but asks several questions during the install.

Unless someone can give a better explanation of how BWS makes a BGII - SoA game
Have you seen this tutorial?  https://forums.beamd...mment/704157/p1

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#39 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

I must admit that my curiosity about BWS is growing, so I'm sure I'll give it a try at some point. Even when I get mod-related errors during play, I never experience any CTD action (while I saw that plenty of times when running the native Mac OS version of BGII. That was a years-long nightmare that I'm glad is over!).

The information in this thread is illuminating, and I appreciate it! When I'm satisfied with my multimod installation, I'll throw caution to the wind and add SCS to the mix, as that's one of my favorite mods. I also rediscovered aTweaks (had lost it from my system fairly recently), so I'll add that in as well. I like as much PnP content as I can get :)

Thanks all! I'll keep the reports coming, as I'm able.

#40 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

After installing the last mod in my list, my strategy for success is always:

1. Copy fonts from 1PP into /override (including the last two font files in the 1PP fonts folder named "2")

2. Move any remaining .bmp files out of /override and into /portraits, and move any remaining .wav files out of /override and into /sounds

3. delete unneeded files from main game directory

All hardware settings in bgconfig are set to maximum, and I run the game in "full-screen" mode, which occupies a 1024x768 space on my monitor, which is always set to 1600x1200 with millions of colors.

A few areas in the game cause the party members to either move slowly, or to "blink" progressively along the path I want them to move, but this doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. Viewing the map by pressing M always gets the party to move faster and more smoothly, so that's my work-around.