Photo

[BWP] Problem Starting New BG2 Game

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 EvilMax

EvilMax
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:04 AM

@Perdido, sorry, I was trying to reproduce your bug, but found mine instead.

About cutscene sequence, it is different according to your list of installed mods. You have Worgas mod installed, so sequence to chores is following:

1. See the dialog of difficulty level (this one is from mod, do not mess with game settings) and choose one you like.

2. See Worgas cutscene in Asylum and second part - in cage neart to your PC's one.

3. Level up your character (required)

4. See chores

Some Big World component (I didn't identified it yet) requires to set difficulty in game settings to normal and I saw this message too. And it was fighter character. If you don't change difficulty in options, you'll not see Chores. I solved this to put BGT options difficulty level to normal - everything started working. So possible solution to your problem is following:

1. Set in Baldur's Gate options difficulty level to Normal (instead of D&D core rules or other)

2. Create character and start new game

3. Go through cutscenes and chores to Irenicus dungeon and controllable party.

4. Return difficulty level to desired and play.

I think reinstall in your case wouldn't resolve your problem.

Well, in case of Mage protagonist my advice isn't working. Problem is in BGT mod itself, in a6genspl.d used for spells selection fo mages.

Edited by EvilMax, 04 August 2015 - 03:28 AM.

#22 Oracle

Oracle

Bad Doggie Werewolf

• 105 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

Iam having a simlar problem and have been ditected here. Whenstarting a new BG2 game but i get a freze CTD after chores because Imoen dosent spawn

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

#23 Perdido

Perdido
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:22 AM

@Perdido, sorry, I was trying to reproduce your bug, but found mine instead.

About cutscene sequence, it is different according to your list of installed mods. You have Worgas mod installed, so sequence to chores is following:

1. See the dialog of difficulty level (this one is from mod, do not mess with game settings) and choose one you like.

2. See Worgas cutscene in Asylum and second part - in cage neart to your PC's one.

3. Level up your character (required)

4. See chores

Some Big World component (I didn't identified it yet) requires to set difficulty in game settings to normal and I saw this message too. And it was fighter character. If you don't change difficulty in options, you'll not see Chores. I solved this to put BGT options difficulty level to normal - everything started working. So possible solution to your problem is following:

1. Set in Baldur's Gate options difficulty level to Normal (instead of D&D core rules or other)

2. Create character and start new game

3. Go through cutscenes and chores to Irenicus dungeon and controllable party.

4. Return difficulty level to desired and play.

I think reinstall in your case wouldn't resolve your problem.

Well, in case of Mage protagonist my advice isn't working. Problem is in BGT mod itself, in a6genspl.d used for spells selection fo mages.

My apologies, for not understanding what you were doing. :)

I'm starting with the latest version and a fresh(er) install now, too, with different mods going in. Something happened, and I probably installed something the wrong way. Happens when you start an install late at night.

Thank you for looking into it, though.

#24 EvilMax

EvilMax
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:19 AM

@Perdido Well, I think you are not guilty. I have the same problems, so possibly dialog need to be fixed. I was quite busy and did not found core problem yet. Will update branch soon.

UPD.

Compiled dialogue of spell selection checks not game difficulty but instead it checks variable "RTWMyDifficulty" that shouldn't be greater than 2. I have found that it is variable set by b#tweaks mod, by its "Improved Difficulty System" component. So, when I created mage character and in dialogue chosen option No2 'Easy', I have seen dialogue for selection of mage spells and after that moved to chores. I.e. before Worgas cutscene in dialogue please choose 'Easy' difficulty and you'll start the game.

So, your 'algorithm to success' if your PC is single or multiclass mage is following:

1. Start new game.

2. When in difficulty dialogue appeared (game started, PC is in cage), choose 'Easy' option (No 2)

3. After Worgas cutscene in Asylum levelup your PC.

4. You'll see spell selection dialogue! Select desired spells to write to your spellbook.

5. You'll appear in Candlekeep Chores. Happy end!

P.S. After that you can set desired difficulty level by setting global variable "RTWMyDifficulty" value by console. 1 - easiest, 5 - hardiest.  I am personally playing with BG option set to 'D&D core rules' and "RTWMyDifficulty" equalt to 4.

Edited by EvilMax, 05 August 2015 - 11:31 AM.

#25 Perdido

Perdido
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:48 PM

Ah, that would explain why...I usually don't go for Easy settings. :P

I ended up being able to put in a generic character and then switch it to a mage in Shadowkeeper and I tried doing a playthrough, but I started encountering some problems and the game started breaking down (after some time whatever character that was in the third party slot would stutter move and stop and would not be able to be moved via Ctrl+J teleport cheat, I could not go back to the previous level of Irenicus' dungeon after going through once without it crashing to desktop, etc.) so it looked like I needed to do a re-install regardless.

Thank you for looking into it, and I hope that this resolves a potential future problem for other people.