27 replies to this topic

#21 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:45 AM

Hello!

I resurrect this dialogue because I think I can add useful information to the persistent problem

So far, I am experiencing the bug only for those NPCs that INITIATE dialogue with the player while things work fine otherwise.

I think somebody knowledgeable enough might figure out why this happens.

I have to take it back... :wall:

That's not it either, because after removing the INITDLG.BCS script from the NPC I tested, the NPC disappeared again.

Edited by Salk, 12 January 2017 - 05:08 AM.

#22 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

Well, interesting enough, a simple ToBEx'd and G3 Fixpack'd BGT installation does not have this problem!

This means that some modification is causing it.

I will investigate!

#23 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:16 PM

My testing has partly paid off.

I found out what causes the NPCs to disappear after talking to you instead of correctly executing the EscapeArea command. It is caused by the map not being "properly" explored around the NPC. I used the Console to ExploreArea() and that prevents the issue from happening.

If Ascension64 was still around, I am sure it'd not take him long to remedy the situation but I have no idea how to fix this so I am hoping someone can come help.

Edited by Salk, 23 January 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#24 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

So if they don't "know" where the exit is, they just "jump" at it. Interesting.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#25 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

My testing has partly paid off.

I found out what causes the NPCs to disappear after talking to you instead of correctly executing the EscapeArea command. It is caused by the map not being "properly" explored around the NPC. I used the Console to ExploreArea() and that prevents the issue from happening.

If Ascension64 was still around, I am sure it'd not take him long to remedy the situation but I have no idea how to fix this so I am hoping someone can come help.

Makes sense - and fits to the randomness and behaviour observed with the issue.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#26 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:05 AM

Yes, now we just need a way to fix it though! :D

#27 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:51 AM

Well, I suppose there is little/no interest in this but I have worked on my own solution to the problem

In short, I went through the .d list and changed the EscapeAreaDestroy(90) to MoveToPointNoInterrupt([X,Y])DestroySelf() for the majority of the NPCs (some were unused, some were a bit too complex, some spawned in different areas and in some cases the file was shared).

It was a  tedious process and typos are a concrete possibility. There has been only partial testing but if someone is interested, I am easy to reach.

#28 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:39 AM

If you want to, you should attach the source(before you made changes) and resulting files(after you made your fixes), as those can be diff-ed, and made into patch files that are then easy to apply in BWS.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.