Photo

Maximum number of dialogue responses?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

By convention, Bioware generally tried to limit choices to 3.  However, in certain situations they had more than 3 responses and in certain situations such as the Wish Spell or the Fate Spirit in ToB.

Is there any engine hard limit on the maximum number of responses or lines of of responses to a situation or dialogue?

Thanks,

Bill

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:04 AM

I don't think so. Of course programming more than 128 responsive option to a "Hey there." dialog start could get a little ... booring.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:45 AM

I don't think so. Of course programming more than 128 responsive option to a "Hey there." dialog start could get a little ... booring.

There is no engine limit, as far as I can tell, just the practical issue or readability. Depending on how many lines each response takes there comes a moment where you need to scroll to see more entires - then you need to scroll back to find the entry you want to select...

For *real* dialogues this is rather clumsy, so a better way would be to cascade the reply options. Long lists are really only practicable where it is not a true dialogue but rather a choice list disguised as a dialogue, like e.g. Fate Spirit or Wish or Travel.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

Thank you both. I shall continue modding unabated.

#5 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

From a programming standpoint, I would wager the maximum is limited (at a bare minimum) to a signed 8-bit integer (2^7-1 = 127), but is more likely an unsigned 8-bit integer (2^8-1 = 255).  At the other end of the spectrum, it is possible the engine allots as much as an unsigned 32-bit integer (2^32-1 = 4294967295), but IMO this is unlikely.  At any rate, you would really have to try in order to reach any sort of limit.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#6 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:59 PM

From a programming standpoint, I would wager the maximum is limited (at a bare minimum) to a signed 8-bit integer (2^7-1 = 127), but is more likely an unsigned 8-bit integer (2^8-1 = 255).  At the other end of the spectrum, it is possible the engine allots as much as an unsigned 32-bit integer (2^32-1 = 4294967295), but IMO this is unlikely.  At any rate, you would really have to try in order to reach any sort of limit.

It is more than 127 as there are dialogues (e.g.Finsol01, Fatesp) that have more responses in some states (nearly every NPC mod adds there bit of talk here, even if only those of party members are triggered for display). That means the game can handle such a number, even if conditional responses are not displayed if the conditions are not met. Technically it should be the same.

I have not seen any single state that had more than 255 responses to a single state.

Edited by Roxanne, 15 September 2015 - 12:00 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#7 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

I have done some tests, and vanilla ToSC seems to crash when you try to select a dialog response when there are more than 256 options.  The game will display more than 256 options if the dialog has them, but it will crash if you try to select one.  This goes along with my predicted most likely scenario of being limited to an unsigned 8-bit integer, which is zero-based (numbered 0 thru 255 for a total of 256).  It seems BGEE has the same limit of 256, but the crash may not necessarily happen absolutely immediately.  Buffer overflow, maybe?  I wonder if Beamdog would be interested in hearing of this, or if they would bother to handle such an unusual scenario any more gracefully than just a CTD...

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#8 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:32 AM

what about situation in which some dialogue responses are filtered out (doesn't show up due to trigger filtering) but are still checked by the engine when the dialogue block is parsed. Will this 256 responses limit also affect for example dialogue with 100 visible responses and 200 hidden?

#9 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

what about situation in which some dialogue responses are filtered out (doesn't show up due to trigger filtering) but are still checked by the engine when the dialogue block is parsed. Will this 256 responses limit also affect for example dialogue with 100 visible responses and 200 hidden?

I tried 251 visible responses and another 50 hidden ones in both vanilla ToSC and BGEE, and the dialog worked fine:  no crashes.  Looks like the limitation is to 256 visible responses.  You'd probably run into some other limiting factor eventually, but I'm not sure I care to find it ;)

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#10 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

I tried 251 visible responses and another 50 hidden ones in both vanilla ToSC and BGEE, and the dialog worked fine:  no crashes. 
You did have the invisible repsonces in the middle of the dialog tree, right. Say 101 visible, 50 invisible, and 150 visible ? While trying say the 291th responce... hihihihiih. Just checking....

Edited by The Imp, 17 September 2015 - 04:08 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#11 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:19 PM

1 thru 250 were visable, 251 thru 300 were invisible, and 301 was visable. I tried selecting 250 and 301.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#12 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

Well, that works too.