• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:11 AM

Hi All:

My Mega-Mod game made with BWS (12/16/2015) got wiped out.  More on that later.  I made a new Mega-Mod game using BWS (02/01/2016) and the mod and component list from the WeiDU.log from the wiped out game.  I did make a few minor changes, removed 4 components and added two mods.

Here is a list of my opinions about the process:

1. 1.) The installation order was slightly changed.  This shows the authors are keeping track of problems and attempting to fix conflicts.  Thanks for the effort.
  2. 2.) Newer updates of many mods were used.  This also shjows the authors are keeping track of problems and attempting to fix conflicts.  Thanks for the effort.
  3. 3.) TobEX Beta 0025 is still used.  TobEX Beta 0026 has been available for a long time.  The "revisions.txt" file for TobEX Beta 0026 states that this version is more than having a new language added.  What is the reason for not using TobEX Beta 0026?
  4. 4.) The Planar Sphere Mod is messed up.  With BWS (12/16/2015), version 2.6e Beta was used and components #0, #1, #2, #3 were installed. With BWS (02/01/2016), version 2.6c was used and components #1, #2, #3 were installed.  Again, what is the reason?  Will the mod still play if component #0 is missing?  I know it is difficult to get version 2.6e Beta.
  5. 5.) I know BWS seems to have something against version numbers, but they are great tools to identify files.  Many modders appear to have the same opinion about version numbers.  If the version appears in the compacted mod file, it makes life a lot easier for everyone.  In the last two BWS files, the names do differ.  But how can you tell which is which from "f66678385def" and "f86fd4ebebb54".  I think the date or version in the name is a lot simpler.

My game got deleted.  In Windows XP I have a habit with opening several Windows Explorer folders at the same time.  Windows XP always works on the top folder.  I found out that my version of Windows 7 does not like that.  It will work on any open folder and will close in the order they were opened not close the top folder to its parent folder.  So I was deleting a copy of my game to update a later version. Windows took the liberty to delete the original (which was 3 layers deep) with the copy.  only parts were in the Recycle Bin.  So I needed to make a new game.  Be careful with your game files, especially after you have played it for 180 or so hours.

Tom

Sorry, this does not look like I typed it.  Used the numbering format, but it did not transfer that way.  Edit format shows the line numbers.

Edited by tomkaz, 02 February 2016 - 07:16 AM.

#2 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

3) Never noticed this.  Thanks for the report.

4) This should be corrected for future installs.  I made a mistake in the BiG World Fixpack patch for this mod (incorrect path) so it was not being applied.  Probably the mod will not play for you in your current install.

5) The BWS commit ID can be matched up to an entry on the commit log here:  https://bitbucket.or...tup/commits/all  -- also BWS logs the date when the install was started in the comment for setup-bws in the WeiDU.log -- I am also planning to have BWS log the commit ID into the WeiDU.log but haven't implemented it yet

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#3 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hi agb1:

Glad I could help.  Thanks for the URL.

1.)  Is there a way I can replace TobEX Beta 0025 with TobEX Beta 0026 and replace Planer Sphere Mod 2.6c with Planer Sphere Mod 2.6e Beta in my current game?

2.)  If not, when will a BWS revision be available that includes TobEX Beta 0026 and Planer Sphere Mod 2.6e Beta?

3.)  If it takes a few days to update the current BWS, is it possible to use my current saved game in a new game if it was made with all the mods and components are exactly the same as the current game?

Thanks for the comments and BWS,

Tom

#4 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

While theoretically possible, practically it is not possible to change versions of a mod in the middle of your installation. This is because all the mods after it have to be uninstalled first and then reinstalled again. And reinstalling is not perfectly symmetrical (some install steps can't be undone cleanly), so the chance of bugs is high. Simpler and safer to start from a clean game and reinstall everything.

I will check TobEx in a few hours... Is there a specific feature of 026 that you need?

I already updated BWS and the Fixpack so the planar sphere mod should install correctly now. I haven't had a chance to test a full install yet but I confirmed that the patch applies correctly.

Edited by agb1, 02 February 2016 - 04:07 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#5 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

Tom, I just checked .. BWS is configured to use TobEx 026. Do you mean 027?

#6 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

Also - if you install a completely identical game then you can use the same saved game, but any change in the order that components are added to the game will cause your saved game to point to the wrong strings.

#7 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

Hi agb1:

I did not know about TobEX 0027.  But if it is available, it might be wise to install that too,

I will sane my BGII - SoA folder and try a new game.  Using the WeiDU.log file should give me the exact same game I have now.  I will just check to see that all the mod components are installed in the same order.

Thanks for the quick response,

Tom

I downloaded BWS on 02/01/2016.  That version used TobEX 0025 Beta.

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 02 February 2016 - 06:05 PM.

#8 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

Hi agb1:

I just checked Spellhold Studios downloads.  TobEX 0026 Beta is the latest version listed.

Tom

#9 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

Using the WeiDU log does not select what BWS calls subcomponents (non-numbered sub-menu choices for a component, which correspond to question-answer prompts during the installation). This is because your answers are not saved in the WeiDU log. If you "export" your selection in BWS then it will remember your choices in that file, so that is a better way to have a consistent install.

I will check the TobEx download link in an hour when I am back at my computer. It might be that we updated the version number but forgot to update the download link. If you want to check, open the file Config\Global\tobex.ini and see if the Down= line is correct. You can change it yourself if it is wrong.

Edited by agb1, 02 February 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#10 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:07 PM

Hi agb1:

I should have done this sooner, but better late than never.

The COMMIT tag on the BWS file I last used was "f86fd4e"  which was posted on 01/31/2016.  I downloaded it on 01/31/2016.

Here is a copy of part of the WeiDU.log showing the TobEX version.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-WEIDU.TP2~ #0 #0 // 23800
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Expert Mod In Selection: DSoA
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Expert Component In Selection: Vendedor_DLAN(0)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #2 // Expert Component In Selection: Vendedor_DLAN(1)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #3 // 20160126 - Updated by agb1 (installation date Mon 02/01/2016)
~SETUP-BWFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BiG-World-Fixpack-master.zip
~SETUP-BWTRIMPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BiG World Trimpack v14.0.2.7z
~SETUP-BWINSTALLPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BiG World Installpack v15.6.2.7z
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #100 // TobEx - Core: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #101 // Apply Concentration Check On Damage [WIP]: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #102 // Awaken On Damage: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #105 // No Spell Interruption On Zero Damage: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #107 // Allow All Races to Dual Class: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #108 // Allow Equipping Armor in Combat: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #111 // Disable Silence On Charm: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #113 // Remain Hidden On Pickpocket Success [C]: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #114 // Rest Spawns Advance Time: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #115 // Dialogue Greeting Subtitles: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #116 // Enable Animation Attack Sounds: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #117 // Universal Four Inventory Weapon Slots: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #118 // Subtitles For Standard Soundsets: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #120 // Drop Inventory on Disintegrate: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #121 // Drop Inventory on Frozen Death: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #122 // Drop Inventory on Stone Death: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #123 // Enable Auto-Pause On All Screens: Beta 0025
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #124 // Make All Attack Animations Genuine Attacks: Beta 0025

As you can see, BWS used version 0025 Beta.

In my last BWP game, the TobEX version was listed as Beta 0026.

Hope this helps.

Tom

#11 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:11 PM

I just edited my post above.

#12 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

BWS downloads TobEx_Beta0026.rar, and inside the package the TobEx\TobEx_redist\revisions.txt file has notes for Beta 0026.  However, the TobEx.tp2 file that corresponds to the Setup-TobEx.exe installer has a VERSION string of "Beta 0025" -- this is what you see in the WeiDU.log.  It seems to be a mistake (the VERSION in the tp2 file was not updated).

#13 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:57 AM

Hi agb1:

Thanks for the information.  I thought about that after I posted, but felt those authors would have caught it sooner.

Where is "Config\Global\tobex.ini"?  Check my TobEx_ini folder and all the subfolders in my current game, but did not find a line with "Down=".  I did find the file TobExVer.txt and it stated the version is "26".

Thanks for the information and all the help.  Now to create a new game.

Tom

I found it in BWS.  The line under "Down=" is "Save=Tobex_Beta0026.rar".  So all is OK, just a big error on my part.

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 03 February 2016 - 06:01 AM.

#14 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hi agb1:

New game installed.  Here are the messages.

*************************************************************************************************************************

ERROR: illegal 4-byte write (Doomed) offset 462 of 218-byte file PlanarSphereMod/itm/psBolt01.itm
ERROR: [PlanarSphereMod/itm/psBolt01.itm] -> [override/psBolt01.itm] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("PlanarSphereMod/itm/psBolt01.itm: write out of bounds"))
ERROR: Failure("PlanarSphereMod/itm/psBolt01.itm: write out of bounds")
PlanarSphereMod (Planar Sphere) was not installed due to errors.

You can try to repair the problem and start the installation of the component again. In this
case please select "retry" after the repair.

If you don't want to spent time for that now, you
can also continue without the component or exit the program. The BiG World Setup will
continue with the installation of that component.
Enter [r]etry, [c]ontinue or [e]xit.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS 1ppv4: Spell tweaks

C:\Black Isle\BGT Game\BGII - SoA>

ERROR: End_of_file
Spell tweaks (One Pixel Productions) was not installed due to errors.

You can try to repair the problem and start the installation of the component again. In this
case please select "retry" after the repair.

If you don't want to spent time for that now, you
can also continue without the component or exit the program. The BiG World Setup will
continue with the installation of that component.
Enter [r]etry, [c]ontinue or [e]xit.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Looks like the Planar Sphere problem still exists.  I looked in the folder where BWS stored  the mods and did not find Planar Sphere there.  Also, BWS did not ask for that mod.  Any suggestions?

Tom

#15 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

These are two new errors (planar sphere #1, 1pp #2) not seen by me before.

#1 - I will check that item from planar sphere mod.

#2 - Can you upload the setup-1pp.debug from your game folder?

#16 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

#1 - that item should be replaced by the Fixpack .. can you upload the BiG World Upload.7z from your game folder (if you finished the install, this will be there) or BiG World install.txt (from BiG World Setup\Logs if you did not finish the install)?

#17 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hi agb1:

The game is installed.  I took your advise and exported the list of mods and components.

I got a copy of Planar Sphere Mod v2.6e Beta for the next install.

Searched my computer for BiG World Upload.7z and it was not found.  I am guessing you meant  BiG World Debug.7z

Here are the files.

Attached File  Setup-1pp.debug   2.1MB   323 downloads

Attached File  BiG World Debug.7z   511.98K   129 downloads

Thanks for the help,

Tom

#18 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

1pp Spell Tweaks install stopped because BWS was not expecting this warning:

WARNING: SPPR142/342 seem to be already taken by a previously installed mod. Proceeding to install may cause issues. 

In my copy of BG2 the only mod folder that contains the files SPPR142.SPL and SPPR342.SPL is 1pp itself.  Do you have copies of these files in other mod folders (not counting backup folders)?

#19 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

I added a new fix to the BiG World Fixpack for Planar Sphere Mod to solve the install error with psbolt01.itm ... this fix will be applied next time you do an install with BWS.  If you wanted to fix it manually, you would delete the line "SAY 0x1ce @118" from setup-planarspheremod.tp2 ... if you want to keep your current install (the 1pp errors aren't important -- by which I mean your current game will still work), you can make this edit and then install planar sphere mod manually on top of your current install.

#20 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hi agb1:

I found some files but it was not easy.  Windows 7 Search gives a short location and I had to manually search the rest of the folders.

Here they are:

SPPR142.SPL     ...\BGII - SoA\1pp\item\spells_and scrolls\tweak\SPPR142.SPL

SPPR342.SPL     ...\BGII - SoA\1pp\item\spells_and scrolls\tweak\SPPR342.SPL

...\BGII - SoA\!BInfinitySounds\Backup\1\SPPR342.SPL
                            ...\BGII - SoA\generalized_biffing\prod\biffs\156\SPPR342.SPL

I have two other saved games which have these files in the same game folders but not in the same folder as BGII - SoA.

As far as Planar Sphere is concerned, I am not deeply into any game, so I will just create a new one.

Tom